3 replies to this topic

#1 Hale

Hale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

Advertisement
To all you people with wind, bloating, cramps, constipation and the runs...TRY SWIMMING!I've had IBS for 18 months now and I can honestly say that this is the best thing!I used to have terrible wind - I'm sure I could break records! pain under my left rib, spasms in all sorts of areas, the runs, especially first thing and after meals and bloating to name but a few.....Part of the problem was stress and boredom. So i decided to try swimming, mainly to tone up and become fitter but i've found that this has practically cleared up my IBS.Pschologically, I've got something else to think about besides my guts and the worrying that goes with it and i think the exercise has certainly got something to do with it...I now don't take any medication, have no pain at all and have no constipation or the runs, i just go to the loo a couple of times in the morning and that's it!Try it!

Advertisement

#2 Cazeraline

Cazeraline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:09 PM

i compleatly agree! i used to swim ALOT when i was younger so much that i decided to train to be a lifegurad for fun! all that time i never had any problems an never new i had IBS. unfornitually i ahd a accident which stopped me from swimming and i got loads of symptoms and was told i had ibs about 6 months ago(after a long time of just thinkging i was strange!)also i recently went to the doctor and she said to swop depression for the gym! i have been 5 time so far this week and i have had no problems (touch wood) i have also had salad every day for lunch and its like a new me! im not depressed, im not constipated and im only slightly bloated!give it a try and good luck!

#3 Angel V

Angel V

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

Yes. Working out has always helped me with IBS symptoms. Swimming especially seems to work well.

#4 Finn

Finn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

may sound stupid but when you first start is it not in the back of your mind that you might not be able to get to the toilet from pool quickly enough? i love swimming but have avoided it because im worried i'll have an accident in the pool ?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here