24 replies to this topic

#1 buggga

buggga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Advertisement
was having a good week until i decied to have a fresh tomato on my sandwich----massive diarrhea--my question is the tomato skin came out unchanged (sorry to be gross)---is this normal for us with ibs---i have been worried all night--and also do you think the tomatos caused this horrible episode--i was doing pretty good and now i feel like im back to square one! :(thanks for your help!

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

Yes it's normal for us and those without IBS. Some things just don't get broken down ALL the way. So no need to worry.Do I think the tomatoes caused it?? I have no idea. Have you had trouble with tomatoes before?
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 jacques125

jacques125

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

I wouldn't stress out over any food that may trigger it. Tomatoes are one of the best foods for you even though they are acidic. The skins are the most nutritious since they have lycopene and help you prevent cancer - http://www.lycopeneb...ebenefits.html. I'm 63 and an IBS-D patient for 25+ years. I eat everything and deal with the problem without medication. I'm much better now than in my 30's when I had diarrhea every time I ate. My only suggestion; be patient with your body and try not to take medication for your problem whenever possible (especially laxatives when constipated) . Diarrhea causes cellular damage in your gut however, it also heals itself fairly fast. An interesting finding - intestinal cells die and get replaced every 6 weeks or so. Good luck and please be kind to your body.

#4 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

I don't have many specific food triggers, but tomatoes are one of them. Spaghetti with tomato sauce for dinner? Cross me off for doing anything tomorrow! I can eat small amounts of them, like in ketchup, but any whole piece of tomato and I'm done for.

#5 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

Tomatoes are a part of the nightshade family (eggplants, peppers, other seeded "vegetables"). They can be reactive for us. I used to have similar effects, along with killer GERD, from tomatoes. A couple of summers ago, long after my IBS was well controlled, I started buying fresh, sweet tomatoes from a local greenhouse, eating them everyday in sandwiches. After a period of time, eczema--another long dormant condition--broke out again and my stools got distinctly softer and stickier. It took awhile; but dropping the tomato sandwich from my lunchtimes eventually solved both conditions.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#6 lib2266

lib2266

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Tomatoes are my worst nightmare...but they can be tricky. Cherry tomatoes and chunk tomato on pizza always causes problems for me. I'm ok with tomato sauce and sometimes a regular Jersey tomato but it's never certain. I simply avoid them most of the time..it sucks too because I love a Caprese salad or a good fresh pizza so I tend to only eat them when I know I'm homebound for a while.

#7 Trudyg

Trudyg

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have read that what you look like on the outside is a reflection of the insides--if you have excema or acne, so does your gut, in other words. If that is so, then whatever would excacerbate one would be a trigger, right? Don't know i beleive it totally, but to some extent it makes sense.

#8 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

I have read that what you look like on the outside is a reflection of the insides--if you have excema or acne, so does your gut, in other words. If that is so, then whatever would excacerbate one would be a trigger, right? Don't know i beleive it totally, but to some extent it makes sense.

I suspect you are right. Do you suppose I have bags under my intestines, as well? :P Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#9 cera

cera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Tomatoes are bad because of the high acid. Tomatoes and garlic for me are a nightmare - I stay away from Italian food altogether.

#10 JessicainLondon

JessicainLondon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

I don't think I have too much of a problem with tomatoes, but I have heard about people needing to deseed and peel them before eating. If you can manage them in a tomato sauce, that may be why - the things that are hardest to break down (seeds / skin) just aren't there, or have been blitzed beyond recognition. I do find, though, that they give me a lot of bloating. This morning, I received a list from my consultant of low, moderate and high flatulogenic foods (i.e. gas production levels). Tomatoes are on the low list. This morning, I also ate raw tomato in an omelette and I feel like my stomach lining is on fire, and my bloating has increased. Clearly, different effects happen for different people. If you can't bear the thought of eliminating tomatoes from your diet, you could always try a little amount on a day where you're at home, with nothing to worry about getting done, etc.

#11 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

I LOVE tomatoes.... tomato ANYthing.. sauce.. whole.... stewed.... juice... you name it. I love it. And if I eat too much of it... forget it... I'm running to the can. But sometimes... I don't care. LOL And it is just worth it to have a nice glass of tomato juice ... and pay for it later... :D
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#12 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

It is interesting to read Jessica's comment about the difficulty we have with digesting seeds and skins, as these are normally where the highest concentration od nutrients reside. (Probably another reason why supplementing has helped me so much.) RE BQ's affair with the love apple, the first really dangerous meal I tried after getting this under control was a couple of big slices of cheese pizza and a beer! Wheat, milk, tomatoes, and Italian seasonings. The beginning of my post-IBS (Butterfly) years.Mark

#13 EnviroChick

EnviroChick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

My friend who is in dietary school told me that tomato skin is a huge problem for people with bowel issues. Fruit/veggies skin are very hard to break down and with our rapid transit times, they can irritate the lining of the intestines and really do some damage. Also, seeds,mushrooms, nuts, and popcorn are a huge problem too. I can't eat a mjaority of that stuff, nuts are sometimes ok but it look me 3 years to figure out why I got sick everytime I ate a tomato. Makes sense now!

#14 Mrs Me

Mrs Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Would this be the same with apples? I had a terrible day yesterday and the only thing i done different was eat an apple.

#15 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

I do believe apple is an insoluble fiber.Mark

#16 Holden37

Holden37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I originally thought I might be allergic to tomatoes they did such a number on me (before I was diagnosed)...no more Friday night pizza for me I suppose.Appreciate you sharing :)

#17 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

I love tomatoes myself and dont really have any problems with them other than sometimes the less quality ones have tougher skin.As a male,the chemical lycopene,which is found a lot in tomatoes,is a big help against prostate disease in older men and is available in supplement form now if tomatoes are a problem to eat.
Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

#18 avesher

avesher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Im glad I saw this thread cause it explained a major issue Im having tonightanyone ever have any troubles after they eat kiwi fruit?edit: after investigating I think shoving an entire jar of black olives down the hatch was my downfall :(

#19 ibsdesi

ibsdesi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Here is my list of items to stay away from. It looks list is not the same for everyone.I have IBS for 3 years. Below list is result of extensive research on myself. 

Raw onions

Raw fruits

Tomato(either raw or not)

whole wheat stuff

anything hot spicy.

bell peppers(will bring me down for days).

carbonated drinks

Meat

Any artificial sugars

At night couple of pills of benefiber(weight management) keep my life right. 

--

This is no medical advice, see ur doctor for your condition.

#20 urbanfresh

urbanfresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I wouldn't stress out over any food that may trigger it. Tomatoes are one of the best foods for you even though they are acidic. The skins are the most nutritious since they have lycopene and help you prevent cancer - http://www.lycopeneb...ebenefits.html. I'm 63 and an IBS-D patient for 25+ years. I eat everything and deal with the problem without medication. I'm much better now than in my 30's when I had diarrhea every time I ate. My only suggestion; be patient with your body and try not to take medication for your problem whenever possible (especially laxatives when constipated) . Diarrhea causes cellular damage in your gut however, it also heals itself fairly fast. An interesting finding - intestinal cells die and get replaced every 6 weeks or so. Good luck and please be kind to your body.

Wow, 25 years is a long time. What's the best advice you could give someone who is 24 and has had IBS-D for 6 years? I have D every day just now and I can't get it to calm down no matter what I do.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here