Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Sugar Free candies?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Linda Z 
#1 ·
I searched the forum but I didn't see any talk about sugar free hard candies... My grandmother (who has the same problem as me) told me that when she has eaten sugar free candies in excess that it will actually cause her to have a BM. I was in awe of this and she told me to look on the back of the package... So, I did and it actually says "Caution: Excess consumption may have a laxative effect." I wasn't sure if anyone else had any luck of this? I stocked up on some of the sugar-free starlight mints, as well as the sugar-free baskin robins hard candies. I actually regularly eat mints in between meals if I get a little hungry, so it won't be a change in lifestyle. I'm just going to switch to the sugar-free kind. Has anyone had a response to sugar-free candies? Does it work?

#2 ·
The sugar alcohols in them can loosen up stools. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on which way your IBS runs. Those that tend to diarrhea often have to avoid sugar-free things with any of the -itols in them.They can make some people a bit gassy so see how you do. Other sources of the -itols are fruits like apples, pears, cherries, peaches and plums/prunes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.