7 replies to this topic

#1 jazmine

jazmine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

Advertisement
ok i've never taken digestive enzymes but i'm having huge amounts of gas recently no matter what i eat, i used to feel really bloated but now its just gas coming out like all day long (i would love to reduce that)...and i've read how digestive enzymes can be a help to actually digesting what we eat.what would you recommend that worked out the best for you ?? idk if it makes a difference but i'm mainly IBS-D and i don't eat dairy (no lactose) but my meals are mainly protein basedi'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this topic so i tired looking up different brands online i didn't know what to look for...to me they are just a bunch of names...i would appreciate ur help ^^ thank u !

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I don't know that they have been proven to reduce fart frequency (that is usually more a probiotic thing) but digestive enzymes (prescription) with pancreatin in them have been shown to reduce post meal bloating.Beano theoretically reduces gas as it helps break down sugars no human digests normally.How much starch do you eat, usually starch is a big source of fart frequency, but I don't know how low carb/low starch your diet is. If you don't eat any starches and no gassy vegetables and no undigestible sugars (or sugar alcohols like the -itols and some low carb high protein processed foods use a lot of -itols) you may need to look at how much air you swallow, like from chewing gum, talking while eating, smoking, etc.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 jazmine

jazmine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

i see...i tired one type of probiotic two years ago and it gave me such discomfort and gas that i stopped (i know they say it kicks after 2 weeks or more).so i guess i'm afraid of trying them again considering i have enough gas as it is.i usually have a high carb diet...and protein on the side with some cooked veggies. i have cut out junk food, no coffe, i don't smoke nor do i chew gums.i'm wondering if it is the sugar in some fruits or some other carbs causing it. i have always had lots of carbs and my stomach never had a problem with it. so basically i'm extremely confused :unsure:. is there specific digestive enzymes for carbs...and specific ones for veggies ?? if so how am i suppose to know the difference ??

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Starches are often more of a problem than sugars (although certain sugars can cause gas for some people, but undigestible starches cause gas for everyone). Some people do have issues with fructose and you might look at the FODMAP info on the site and see if that helps. Nothing will help with the fructose as it is about it not being absorbed rather than not having the enzyme to digest it.Beano is specific for the sugars that do bother everyone (like in beans and broccoli, lactase will deal with lactose)You might try eating rice for a starch if you need a starch rather than wheat. Wheat has a lot of resistant starch in it. Rice has very little. The resistant starch (resistant to being digested) is what ends up in the colon and can cause gas.For people with a lot of gas issues (and who want to try probiotics) look for ones that do not have FOS or inulin or other "pre biotics" added. While, in theory, they help probiotics grow they are edible by all bacteria and the other bacteria will make gas from them.FWIW, lower carb/lower starch diets sometimes help people with IBS-D a lot, so focusing meals on protein and cooked veggies without a starch may be better than a meal that includes starch.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 jazmine

jazmine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

Thank you so much Kathleen M. !!! that info will be really useful !

#6 oceanblue141

oceanblue141

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

i see..thanx for the reply...the truth is i was actually diagnosed with Candida by my gynecologist a week or two after i posted this ^^so apparently i do have to give the diet my all...which is not fun...but everything has it's own price biggrin.png

Hi Jazmine, i have seen your post in another thread stating you had some vaginal yeast infection too along with Leaky Gas and i believe you have been treated for the same. Please let us know if you have been cured or not. It might help many of us, the sufferers. 

#7 seekingadvice

seekingadvice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

DigestGold is supposed to be high potency. I've used it for my gas problem, and it helps maybe 5-10%. It's pretty expensive, but covers a bunch of different enzymes, not just amylase (starches), protease (protein), and lipase (fat). There's a lot more enzymes/higher potency in there than most supplements I've seen, so many the price is worth it, or at least give it a try. (If I take more than one it gives me a stomach ache, and I'm worried about irritating a possible stomach ulcer.)

#8 Swan5

Swan5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

I've suffered from flatulence for years and tried all sorts of over the counter remedies and probiotics all of which had no affect. I've spent thousands looking for an effective remedy.

The only thing i have found to work so far is Digestive Advantage's Gas Defense Formula, made by Schiff. It's available on amazon but is cheapest on ebay and many sellers will post it internationally.  It does contain milk and wheat both of which i am intolerant too but i have not had any adverse reactions to them.  I'll be trying out other products in the Digestive Advantage range and will see how it goes.  Digestive Advantage was recommended to me in a facebook Bacteriotherapy group. Having tried so many things beforehand i was not confident but am pleased with the results so far.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here