10 replies to this topic

#1 Alice20

Alice20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm a 20 year old female on my last year at uni, I've had I've suffered from tummy and bowel troubles ever since I was a baby. Through my earlier teens I was fine with the odd bout of diarrea or constipation but not bad enough to affect my life. Problems started about 4 years ago, looking back I have come to the conclusion that the stress of a levels set my ibs off at the time I didn't know it was ibs but looking back I think it probably was. When I got to 18 and started university I was fine for a year and had very few symptoms, but by second year of university my bowel troubles had started again, I have tried every relaxation technique available and have lost count of how many councillors I've seen for depression and anxiety. I now know that my anxiety stems from my ibs the urgency of needing the toilet the main factor. I would get that anxious about haveing the desperate need to go to the loo that I couldn't leave the house. Since the start of the year I have battled the anxiety and ibs symptoms, and to me it felt like I was taking back some control, I have even moved out of my parents home to live in a student house with my friends. The first week in my new house I had a flare up of ibs symptoms which I put down to stress and I managed to quickly get it under control. However for the past three weeks I have been experiencing sharp shooting pains in my tummy they can be quite painful and last from 5 minutes to 10 hours the longest I've gone with this pain was 24 hours. Even when I haven't had the sharp pains my tummy just hasn't felt right, it feels off, I'm bloated and my stomach can make some really loud gurgling sounds but at the same time it feels like I have constipation but when I do go to the loo the stools are more watery than hard and I have to strain to pass them. I've also had a windy tummy too. The only way I've found that dulls the pain is a hot water bottle but even that doesn't get rid off it. I'm wary of painkillers because they often upset my stomah at the best of times and I don't want to aggravate the problem. Sorry for the long post but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and how they deal with it.Alice

Advertisement

#2 Lilyxo

Lilyxo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi, i too am suffering now with the sharp stabbing pains where abouts is your pain? If its not this pain I have an ache or I'm bloated or I'm cramping its pretty neverending! I also get anxious about going to the toilet when I am out etc. I also think I have appendicitus or something bad like that when I get the pains as recently my pains have been in my right lower abdomen....the pain also radiates into my back and leg.Its reassuring to know the pains I feel are normal for IBS sufferers!

#3 athomeagain

athomeagain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hi, I'm a 20 year old female on my last year at uni, I've had I've suffered from tummy and bowel troubles ever since I was a baby. Through my earlier teens I was fine with the odd bout of diarrea or constipation but not bad enough to affect my life. Problems started about 4 years ago, looking back I have come to the conclusion that the stress of a levels set my ibs off at the time I didn't know it was ibs but looking back I think it probably was. When I got to 18 and started university I was fine for a year and had very few symptoms, but by second year of university my bowel troubles had started again, I have tried every relaxation technique available and have lost count of how many councillors I've seen for depression and anxiety. I now know that my anxiety stems from my ibs the urgency of needing the toilet the main factor. I would get that anxious about haveing the desperate need to go to the loo that I couldn't leave the house. Since the start of the year I have battled the anxiety and ibs symptoms, and to me it felt like I was taking back some control, I have even moved out of my parents home to live in a student house with my friends. The first week in my new house I had a flare up of ibs symptoms which I put down to stress and I managed to quickly get it under control. However for the past three weeks I have been experiencing sharp shooting pains in my tummy they can be quite painful and last from 5 minutes to 10 hours the longest I've gone with this pain was 24 hours. Even when I haven't had the sharp pains my tummy just hasn't felt right, it feels off, I'm bloated and my stomach can make some really loud gurgling sounds but at the same time it feels like I have constipation but when I do go to the loo the stools are more watery than hard and I have to strain to pass them. I've also had a windy tummy too. The only way I've found that dulls the pain is a hot water bottle but even that doesn't get rid off it. I'm wary of painkillers because they often upset my stomah at the best of times and I don't want to aggravate the problem. Sorry for the long post but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and how they deal with it.Alice

#4 athomeagain

athomeagain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

I, too, have sharp stabbing pains in my stomach. They always start in the same spot, in the left side next to my hip bone. They can radiate across my lower stomach as well but always start in the same place. I agree, heat can help dull it or make the sore muscles after it better. My gastroenterologist recently told me he thinks I have a kink or sharp turn in my intestinal tract right there so sometimes something might get stuck there for a bit and cause the pain. What to do about it???? Never found an answer. I share all your anxiety as well. I hate it.

#5 Brianmay1975

Brianmay1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

Have you tried antispasmodics? I use to find some relief with antispasmodics (although the pain never goes away entirely). But don't self-medicate, get it prescribed by a doctor. Mine prescribed to me three different antispasmodics over the course of one year, until we found the right one for me. I wouldn't have had my life back if it weren't for him. As bad as I feel now, at least I can function, go to school and spend time out in town with my friends.Unfortunately, I have the feeling that pain is quite a constant feature of IBS, as the nerves are tweaked and send distorted signals to the brain, that the CNS wrongly interprets as being painful and reacts accordingly...

#6 Alice20

Alice20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Have you tried antispasmodics? I use to find some relief with antispasmodics (although the pain never goes away entirely). But don't self-medicate, get it prescribed by a doctor. Mine prescribed to me three different antispasmodics over the course of one year, until we found the right one for me. I wouldn't have had my life back if it weren't for him. As bad as I feel now, at least I can function, go to school and spend time out in town with my friends.Unfortunately, I have the feeling that pain is quite a constant feature of IBS, as the nerves are tweaked and send distorted signals to the brain, that the CNS wrongly interprets as being painful and reacts accordingly...

My dad is also and IBS suffer and he takes antispasmodics, I have a Doctors appointment this week so it was something I was going to ask her about.Thank you for replying.

#7 Alice20

Alice20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Hi, i too am suffering now with the sharp stabbing pains where abouts is your pain? If its not this pain I have an ache or I'm bloated or I'm cramping its pretty neverending! I also get anxious about going to the toilet when I am out etc. I also think I have appendicitus or something bad like that when I get the pains as recently my pains have been in my right lower abdomen....the pain also radiates into my back and leg.Its reassuring to know the pains I feel are normal for IBS sufferers!

Where I get pain can vary depending on the day somtimes its on the left side others the right side, I'm hoping my Doctor can shed some light on the problem or send me for tests to see what could be wrong.Thanks for replying.

#8 Alice20

Alice20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

I, too, have sharp stabbing pains in my stomach. They always start in the same spot, in the left side next to my hip bone. They can radiate across my lower stomach as well but always start in the same place. I agree, heat can help dull it or make the sore muscles after it better. My gastroenterologist recently told me he thinks I have a kink or sharp turn in my intestinal tract right there so sometimes something might get stuck there for a bit and cause the pain. What to do about it???? Never found an answer. I share all your anxiety as well. I hate it.

Thanks for replying. I think anxiety comes hand in hand with ibs, I didnt even realise the 2 were linked until the start of the year, I dont know if being made aware of thats were it stems from makes it worse.

#9 spesh

spesh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for replying. I think anxiety comes hand in hand with ibs, I didnt even realise the 2 were linked until the start of the year, I dont know if being made aware of thats were it stems from makes it worse.

I recently have been getting sharp stabbing pains under my left rib which is constantly there,along with the usual cramping which radiates down my legs too. this ibs attack has lasted 3 weeks with alternating between c and d with everything else i have described above. i didnt know you could get anti spasmodics so an appointment at the doctors is a must for me i think as i have no medication at all to deal with any of this and have suffered for almost 20 years :(

#10 Amunet7

Amunet7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

I am so sorry you have this much pain. I have suffered from IBS for a long time (I'm 26), but I didn't realize what it was until my sister was diagnosed with it 5 years ago. I now have to take Paxil for my anxiety associated with being in situations where I might not be able to get to a bathroom fast enough. I have started alternating between diarrhea and constipation and that causes me extreme pain. I started worrying that I would pass out from the pain. The only thing that helped was to take a mild laxative to help move things along, a hot bath, and a hot pack on my belly. Lots of sleep and water of course too.

#11 sick2much

sick2much

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Lower left hip pain is the sigmoid flexure. Yes, it usually is trapped: fecal matter, gas, and or liquid. Six years ago I would get that pain before I deficated and it would feel like like the large nerve down my left leg was being pinched and I couldn't bring my leg an further forward. So where the hip bone pokes the back, I would actualy punch that area till I hear a pop and would go to the bathroom. It is incredibly painfull as that pain is from the psiatic nerve. According to quite a few GI I have consulted the sigoid colon kind of free floats at the bottom of the abdomen and unlike the rest of the colon is not attached so the flexures can pinch more. I have also found using a chiropractor once to twice a month with a pelvic drop out table works. They basicly alighn pelvis and hip. TOTALY HONES!! Four months of that and I have NEVER had trouble with that flexure again. The IT band will also give you pain from the pressure. If you can lay on your back on the floor after a hot shower and put your feet flat against the wall. you want your legs at roughly 120 degree andle not a 90. Take your right ankle and put it over the left knee. Now use your right leg to pull your left leg down; remember to keep left leg relaxed. This always helped me. I get the sharp stabbing pains in my gut. I have consulted my GI and two others with no answer telling me my gut might be oversensitive. What it was is gas. I did a bunch of research and found out that gas in the small intesine can only usualy be burped out otherwise it has to wait till there is a food mass large enough behind it to push it out. Once that food mass pushes on it you should feel a pain go from left to right in to the large intestine.I hope this helps and things get better for you

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here