Donnatal Extent

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DelilaLou_*

Guest_DelilaLou_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2001 - 08:41 PM

Advertisement
My pharmicist just informed me today that my IBS wonder drug (Donnatal Extent) is being discontinued. He told me I'd have to see my doctor within the next 30 days to change treatment. I know there are other anti-spasmodic drugs out there, but .... but .... but Donnatal has worked for me for several years! Anyone hear anything about why that drug is being discontinued? Also, after doing some research, it seems Donnatal itself just isn't prescribed that much for IBS, yet it was the first drug ever suggested to my by my surgeon.

Advertisement

#2 poopster

poopster

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 12:55 AM

Oh NO!. Did he say why? I use it all the time. I'll have to hurry and get my refills done.

#3 Bonnie L

Bonnie L

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 03:30 AM

Wow, I used Donnotal for a few years & now use Anaspaz. I wonder what bad things it has done to us!

#4 Guest_DelilaLou_*

Guest_DelilaLou_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2001 - 01:57 PM

I don't believe Donnatal has done any bad things to us over the course of treatment. Belladonna (a poison plant extract) and phenobarbitol (a barbituate) are both powerful drugs - probably heavily regulated and possibly becoming more difficult to make. I noticed a drug comparison site which lists another drug (starts with an L, can't remember the site or the drug name at this moment) that does the exact same thing to our bodies, has the same side affect risks, etc. I'll be asking my Dr. if that's an option for me.Don't get me wrong, the drugs aren't the all end (have to watch my diet and exercise, too), but I have certainly been able to control the pain to a great extent with Donnatal over the years!

#5 Guest_hdacman_*

Guest_hdacman_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2001 - 04:00 AM

I just started using Donnatal in December and it has been the first relief I have had in over a year! Now they are going to take it away! Thats about par for these large companys! The local Kmart pharmacy was unable to get them for me back in December and in January. Does anyone know what the shelf life is for these pills. I may stock up! I was just asking last week how many others are taking Donnatal Extentabs. Now I see that there are a few. What can you tell me about Anaspaz

#6 gottogo

gottogo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 02:19 PM

WHY do they do this to us???? You find something that helps and then its gone. I'm the one who used COMBID and they took it away in the 1980's. So now I just suffer from IBS-G. I swear, we need to email these companies and complain to them about taking certain drugs off the market which help some of us.

#7 Clancy Garner

Clancy Garner

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 02:26 PM

I called Eckerds and they had not heard this and they knew about the Lotronex withdrawal immediately.There are multiple fomulations of this drug... do you know specifically which your druggist was spaeking of?

#8 Albion

Albion

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 05:14 PM

Are they withdrawing just the extended-release form? Even if they withdrew the ER formula, I don't believe they would withdraw the regular Donnatal tablets (belladonna/phenobarb). The only drawback with the regular tablets is that you have to take them more often.

#9 Nomie

Nomie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 12:56 AM

I called today and you can still get the generic pills. I take the generic Belladona and it works great for pain and gas. I don't know about the long lasting one but you can call and find out. As long as they don't take the generic away I'm happy. The same thing happened to me with a sinus medication but not the generic.

#10 Guest_DelilaLou_*

Guest_DelilaLou_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2001 - 12:15 PM

Wow! I guess there ARE a few people out there who have used Donnatal successfully. I'm on the Extent Tabs, and I do have three weeks left in my last bottle. I won't go back to the DR until I'm about out. Does this sound like a typical IBS personality? - "I'm too BUSY to see a doctor every other week!" *ha*Really, why in God's name I need to go in for a new prescription I'll never know. My surgeon diagnosed IBS after he took my gall bladder out years ago and the pain got worse. Does THAT sound familiar?At that time, writing refill prescriptions was turned over to my family DR. Does he now think after 6 years, my IBS has magically disappeared? Does he think he should re-diagnose it? Does he think the original diagnosis was a mistake? Please, I waste enough hours in clinic waiting rooms, that I sure as hell don't need to spend another couple hours to change a simple prespcription!Ok, yup, that was venting. Thanks all! *HA*

#11 poopster

poopster

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 10:45 PM

Well, I rushed to get a refill on the Donnatol Ex, sure enough, it's gone. The pharmacist didn't know exactly why except he said it may have been a poor seller. The reg strength Donnatol is still available.

#12 aerobunny

aerobunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 12:07 PM

When I heard it was getting tougher to find (the extendtabs) I called the drug manufacturer to get the scoop. Only the extendtabs have been discontinued. (as of Jan 2001) the regular tabs are still available. When I asked why they told me it was just a business decision. Whatever that means!!

#13 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,385 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 01:47 PM

Business decision usually means they aren't selling enough of it to justify spending time making it. Each drug has a specific manufacturing process and it could be that it doesn't sell well enough to justify having a plant (or part of a plant) making just that, when they could be making something else that would pay the costs of manufacturing.You can only lose so much money down a certain hole before you have to cut your losses, Sounds like the regular non-time released version is doing well enough to keep making, but not enough people use the time-released version to justify making it.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#14 jehdance

jehdance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I too have been trying to get the donnatal extentabs unsuccessfully. I called the company and supposedly they are now manufacturing them and they should be available late summer/early fall.  The info #  is 1-800-858-4006.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here