8 replies to this topic

#1 Kylepa

Kylepa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Advertisement
Have had IBS for 50 years (since 16 years old). In the last 3 years, have discovered a method that eliminates (no pun intended) 95% of the problem as follows: (1) keep your body PH at 7.0 or slightly higher (prevents your stomach from being acidity); (2) use one tablet of alka-seltzer in 16 ounces of water and drink first thing in the morning and before any main meal, especially dinner/supper. This creates soda water and will prevent an acidy stomach. BAKING SODA is the key! Alka-seltzer has sodium bicarbonate (antacid) in it. I use alka-seltzer or it's equivalent because the packaging is convenient to carry; (3) eat one apple nightly as a bedtime snack to prevent constipation and help create an early morning regular bowel movement to remove fecal matter from your intestines before it has a chance "to stew"; and (4) recently added a Probiotic pill for good measure. In summary, 7.0 PH, baking soda, apples, and Probiotic. The idea is to prevent your stomach from becoming acidic and setting off the IBS episode and to keep your bowel movements regular without becoming constipated. My symptoms have mostly been severe stomach cramps with accompanying diarrhea (ugh). I stay away from most heavily fried and especially greasy foods. However, if I'm tempted to eat something spicy like Chinese food, I will take two alka-seltzer tablets in a 16 ounce glass of water and drink the whole thing before eating to coat my stomach! To measure your PH on a regular daily basis, you can buy some PH strips that you "pee" on. Please excuse the straight forward language, but that's how you do it. This is what works for me. It's not any thing a doctor has prescribed, but their forte isn't usually preventive medicine. I've learned this from books about PH and through lots of trial and error.Most alka-seltzer-type tablets have aspirin in them, so be aware of that. Otherwise, you can make your own packages of straight baking soda - it's just not as convenient.I just wished someone had told me about baking soda 45-50 years ago. It would have saved me a lot of grief and occasional embarrassment.Anyway, hope these comments help those new to IBS and any others who are looking for relief. Good Luck.Kylepa/Phoenix, Arizona

Advertisement

#2 chief of the flies

chief of the flies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hey there, interesting that i came across your post. It actually led me to create an account on here and post. About 3 months ago i began taking sodium bicarbonate in capsules. I bought these empty veggie-caps from the health food store, and regular arm & hammer baking soda. I was trying this in an attempt to achieve alkalinity. All my research on PH and bowel conditions and digestion is via PubMed (real medical research).My results.Me: IBS-D. Always have to go, mornings worse..Taking sodium bicarbonate with every meal (one or two capsules).. = day and night difference. Mornings are not as bad, and during the day i am totally fine. I still eat well .. but it changed everything. No more cramps, .. completely gets rids of the sudden urges after eating. Honestly, i think no one has talked about it because no company or pharmaceutical can patent it.I also find lemon water which raises alkalinity helpful. No, im not some health food nut.. everything i try is grounded in peer-reviewed medical research.Anyhow, try it out.. see if this makes a diff.. baking soda costs nothing!

Have had IBS for 50 years (since 16 years old). In the last 3 years, have discovered a method that eliminates (no pun intended) 95% of the problem as follows: (1) keep your body PH at 7.0 or slightly higher (prevents your stomach from being acidity); (2) use one tablet of alka-seltzer in 16 ounces of water and drink first thing in the morning and before any main meal, especially dinner/supper. This creates soda water and will prevent an acidy stomach. BAKING SODA is the key! Alka-seltzer has sodium bicarbonate (antacid) in it. I use alka-seltzer or it's equivalent because the packaging is convenient to carry; (3) eat one apple nightly as a bedtime snack to prevent constipation and help create an early morning regular bowel movement to remove fecal matter from your intestines before it has a chance "to stew"; and (4) recently added a Probiotic pill for good measure. In summary, 7.0 PH, baking soda, apples, and Probiotic. The idea is to prevent your stomach from becoming acidic and setting off the IBS episode and to keep your bowel movements regular without becoming constipated. My symptoms have mostly been severe stomach cramps with accompanying diarrhea (ugh). I stay away from most heavily fried and especially greasy foods. However, if I'm tempted to eat something spicy like Chinese food, I will take two alka-seltzer tablets in a 16 ounce glass of water and drink the whole thing before eating to coat my stomach! To measure your PH on a regular daily basis, you can buy some PH strips that you "pee" on. Please excuse the straight forward language, but that's how you do it. This is what works for me. It's not any thing a doctor has prescribed, but their forte isn't usually preventive medicine. I've learned this from books about PH and through lots of trial and error.Most alka-seltzer-type tablets have aspirin in them, so be aware of that. Otherwise, you can make your own packages of straight baking soda - it's just not as convenient.I just wished someone had told me about baking soda 45-50 years ago. It would have saved me a lot of grief and occasional embarrassment.Anyway, hope these comments help those new to IBS and any others who are looking for relief. Good Luck.Kylepa/Phoenix, Arizona

#3 peaches41

peaches41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

When you say baking soda, do you mean bicarbonate of soda? Here in UK we have baking powder which is used to help raise cakes, I wonder if you mean that.

#4 s1000

s1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

if i take baking powder will it be making a difference or i have to get the baking soda.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,800 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Baking soda and Baking Powder are two different things (but both can be used in baking)Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda also called sodium bicarbonate.Baking soda usually requires the addition of an acid in the recipe to ensure you get the thing to rise.Baking powere is sodium bicarbonate with an acid already added, usually cream of tartar.So if you are wanting just the antacid thing you want Baking Soda.FWIW the internal body fluids are tightly controlled with pH, but things going out of the body (like urine) can be highly variable in pH depending on what you consume.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 chief of the flies

chief of the flies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

yes i was taking baking soda.. or sodium bicarbonate.. i chalked up the help from the reduction of stomach acid. I then realized it was easier to take a 'tums' which did the same thing.. but found i had better results from caltrate which was calcium carbonate as well, but i read that the caltrate pills don't break down as quickly. I know there's a company in the US.. they are known for vitamin D.. and they have pills which are a combo of sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate...i think they are called bio-tech... but its just easier for me to get/take caltrate.. i tried the caltrate vs tums.. the caltrate wins.. hands down.if D is the problem, one thing i really really really found that helped is two tinctures: avena sativa and passion flower. i put 10 drops of each in a glass of water 2-3 times a day.This really really really really helped me.. got rid of urgency and helped with solid bowel movements..

#7 Kylepa

Kylepa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

yes i was taking baking soda.. or sodium bicarbonate.. i chalked up the help from the reduction of stomach acid. I then realized it was easier to take a 'tums' which did the same thing.. but found i had better results from caltrate which was calcium carbonate as well, but i read that the caltrate pills don't break down as quickly. I know there's a company in the US.. they are known for vitamin D.. and they have pills which are a combo of sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate...i think they are called bio-tech... but its just easier for me to get/take caltrate.. i tried the caltrate vs tums.. the caltrate wins.. hands down.if D is the problem, one thing i really really really found that helped is two tinctures: avena sativa and passion flower. i put 10 drops of each in a glass of water 2-3 times a day.This really really really really helped me.. got rid of urgency and helped with solid bowel movements..

#8 Kylepa

Kylepa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

#9 Kylepa

Kylepa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Update to Baking Soda remedy for IBS. Have discovered Metamucil (psyllium fiber powder)!! For me, after suffering through over 50 years with IBS, this is some kind of miracle find. I take a tablespoon of Metamucil (orange flavor) or it's equivalent, 2 or 3 times a day mixed with 6 to 8 ounces of water plus about 2 ounces of crabapple juice for additional flavoring. If available, I add ice to this concoction. It's like drinking a soft drink.This.stops BOTH IBS-D and IBS-C!! For a detailed explanation of why, please go to the web site, "..". I feel really dumb not to have made this connection before now. However, no doctor has ever mentioned Metamucil, although I noticed there are now some studies that admit the possibility that its use may ease IBS symptoms. The daily use of psyllium fiber has enabled me to manage and control my IBS episodes at a 95%+ level. I still sip on soda water during the day and before a spicy meal, but the Metamucil has become my savior. I have my life back. Finally! Better late than not at all. The only time I have an incident is when I ignore the above routine. I can't imagine that this non-pill prescription wouldn't work for most people --even to some degree. Please try it and pass the info on to others. No Charge.Best of luck. Kyle

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here