7 replies to this topic

#1 VinceServan

VinceServan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Advertisement
I have IBS and am 15 yrs old. My doctor has put me on Amitriptyline for the last year or so, which has worked fabulously and greatly limited my symptoms. But I have for a couple years now also had some minor urinary leakage, in small amounts during the day but a bit larger volume during the night. And it has seemed to increase a bit lately. I don't really see any relation to the Amitriptyline, but could this be tied to IBS? And how should I deal with it? (Pads, adult diapers?)ThanksVince

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

No it isn't related to your IBS. Talk to your Dr about this.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

Im having some minor leakage and i am a male. The most common causes for men are prostatitis,bladder or kidney infections or possibly even diabetes. Diabetes mellitus and insipidus cause the same symptoms but are totally different diseases.
Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

#4 journ3

journ3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

BQ, it's good advice to tell the original poster to see his doctor, as bladder problems can indicate many conditions that need proper attention. But it's not necessarily accurate to say, "No it isn't related to your IBS." A more accurate answer is it might or it might not be related. Many of us have bladder disturbances apparently related to IBS. This is the third time in the last few weeks that I've answered a similar question on this board alone.Frequent or difficult urination are #7 and and #8 on a list of 26 non-GI symptoms that IBSers commonly report at higher rates than comparison groups without IBS according to an article by Drs. Palsson and Whitehead at the University of North Carolina Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders.http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educational-gi-handouts/IBS%20Beyond%20the%20Bowel.pdfNon-GI symptoms are also the next topic for the free monthly online chats that UNC holds for people with IBS/functional GI disorders to learn more from experts in the field. Obviously, they can't diagnose or treat people over the Internet, but they do answer general questions, discuss the state of the science, refer people to general resources. The link says March, but the current announcement if you click is for the non-GI chat on December 6, 2011. I encourage people to participate if you have time .http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/march-evening-with-the-experts-chat-room-1Here's my post to the IBS Impact blog in September on non-GI symptoms and overlapping conditions.http://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/ibs-and-extraintestinal-non-gi-symptoms/Specific to the question of incontinence products, if your leaking is mild to moderate and only occasional, most inexpensive brands are adequate. If your leaking is major, repeated, sudden or overnight they are not going to be adequate at all and you'll probably be better served by the more expensive brands available online or through medical supply stores, not in one's average retail store. They're better designed and don't leak as much. I am female, but from what I know, experienced males say similar things.Good luck.

#5 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

To me.. sorry....Doesn't matter.. anyone with increased urination should have that symptom investigated separately by a Dr and or urologist. To say 'it's just my IBS' without seeing a Dr about it.. is just being foolish IMHO.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#6 journ3

journ3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

To me.. sorry....Doesn't matter.. anyone with increased urination should have that symptom investigated separately by a Dr and or urologist. To say 'it's just my IBS' without seeing a Dr about it.. is just being foolish IMHO.

BQ, I don't know whether you are responding specifically to me or not, but this response also applies to the other thread. Nobody has said not to go to the doctor to rule out other issues or that all IBSers experience this symptom or that it is always as a result of IBS. I certainly didn't. I specifically agreed with you on those points. It would be just as much of a disservice for me or anyone else to say "Yes, it's just IBS" (which I have never said.) as for you to say "No it isn't" which is what you did say.What some of us said is that we, or other IBSers experience bladder issues and I posted links to UNC to show that this is something functional GI researchers recognize as probably correlated, although they can't explain it fully yet and it's not just IBSers saying whatever comes into their heads. I encourage people to go to the UNC chat I linked (and others that they offer) because being aware of reputable science as currently understood is a good thing for IBSers. I specifically said it's not a venue to get a diagnosis or treatment. But maybe some of us can learn something that we can take to our own health care providers.There's not enough discussion of possible non-GI symptoms available to the average IBSer and the average health professional. It took me fully a year and a half after onset of my then extremely severe IBS to find that very article I linked, that finally validated many of the non-GI symptoms I continue to experience, and yes, in my case, other possible explanations have been ruled out by my own MD of many years. And I had an almost immediate diagnosis after sudden onset and the previous personal and professional background to have a strong lay understanding of medicine and the ability to be proactive and quickly find forums like this, organizations, books, knowledgable contacts. I didn't hesitate to report everything to my MD and just got "I have no idea." At least when I finally found the article from UNC, I could bring it in, show it to the MD, have it placed in my records, etc so future providers don't think I'm making it up and that knowledge may help te next IBSer. That's what I'm doing here. A few of us in IBS Impact suggested this chat to Dr. Palsson because we realized not everybody has the same resources a few of us had to find this information about non-GI issues. If there's more education among IBSers and medical providers on this issue, in the long run, those of us who DO experience such symptoms will have our needs addressed more adequately.

#7 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Ok.. ALL I was saying is it isn't safe to just say "My bladder problems are because of my IBS". That isn't safe.. and...That simply isn't true. SOME folks with IBS have bladder issues as well. I would always urge someone to go to their Dr or a Urologist. There are just way too many issues that could cause bladder issues and I would never want people to neglect investigating their bladder problems.That's ALL I'm saying.OK????

#8 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

If you've had ibs for a while without bladder problems and then out of the blue bladder problems begin then i would not chalk it off to bladder problems. This is what has happened to me and i'm on the verge of proving its got nothing at all to do with my ibs.Its important to know your own body as well as just accepting medical professionals word for it.I have learned this over the years and we ibsers know our own bodies better than doctors do.They know the diseases but we know when things arent running as they should.See your doctor and a urologist as it may be as simple as an infection treated by antibiotics.
Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here