#1 Dreyfuss

Dreyfuss

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Advertisement
I am new to the group. I am 51 years old. I have read many of the posts but thought I would start a new topic anyway. Hope that is OK. Whenever I attempt to have a bowel movement, I have severe pain on the right side of my gut. I have been to the ER twice for CT scans and XRays. On both occasions, I was told that there is no obstruction. They gave my information about proper diet and sent my on my way. I finally went to a gastroenterologist about three months ago. They performed an ultrasound and a gastrografin enema. I was told that I was backed up with stools but there was no obstruction. I have tried every stool softener and fiber supplement. Nothing helps. Laxatives make things worse. I drank the bowel prep for a colonoscopy and the only thing that came out was the bowel prep. I have not been able to have a colonoscopy because none of the bowel preps do anything except screw up my stomach even more. I am diagnosed bipolar and was told by the gastro that the problem is in my head. The stomach pain is not my imagination and I am not insane. Colon irrigations have done little. Going to the ER again seems like a waste. So, what the heck am I supposed to do? I feel like there is an obstruction. Thanks. :blink:

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

IBS can cause pain from the colon's normal functioning.The pain is not in your head, but it isn't being caused by anything medically relevant. It may be how the colon contracts while moving things along, or how the colon distends when part has gas expanding it. Things that normally you do not sense, but with IBS it can feel extremely and severely painful.It is frustrating, but the only things to do is treat the pain, not try to treat an obstruction that isn't there, or keep looking for one when the same pain was there before with nothing there.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here