Advertisement

Photo

IBS and diverticulitis advice (and strong smell)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glenn75

glenn75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm Glenn, 36 and a elementary school teacher. I signed up on this sight to try to get some advice from anyone else suffering from the symptoms that I am going through. In 2010 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. My gastro-doctor told me to take a high fiber diet and try a probiotic like Align. I was also diagnosed with IBS. In the last month or two, in addition to periodic diverticulitis flare-ups, I've been noticing a very strong smell from my abdomen. This is something that when I first noticed, I was at school and honestly thought my dress pants just needed a dry clean or something. But it's become more noticeable to me.... I even smell it when in bed. It doesn't matter if I have regular bowel movements or diarrhea... the smell is there when I use the bathroom... but also there just walking around, sitting around, etc. The smell is very hard to describe... I guess I would say it is most like rotten eggs, if I had to give some sort of description. My doctor gave me a bacterial breath test about a month ago... but it came back negative. Is there another test that should be run? I started taking dicyclomine for when diverticulitis flare-ups occur, along with Librax (for, I guess, relaxing the brain/stomach connection). Could anyone guess what this smell could be? I'm worried that something "burst" in my intestines or something... I know that sounds crazy, but I'm picturing something "leaking" into my bloodstream causing this smell. I realize how ridiculous that might sound... Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

Advertisement

#2 AIRPLANE

AIRPLANE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is a fistula although I'm not sure about it coming from the abdomen though it certainly could be possible. Usually, with diverticulitis, if a fistula forms it goes from the sigmoid colon (that's the lower left where diverticulosis/diverticulitis seems to occur most frequently) to the bladder so the gas would leak through the urinary tract. A fistula is an abnormal opening that can occur from weak/inflamed areas. Besides diverticulitis, people with inflammatory bowel conditions are prone to them. I myself had very distinct symptoms of one after having surgery but was not able to get a diagnosis. There are tests for them but unfortunately they can be difficult to detect because the hole can go through various stages- it can be larger at times and then partially close or be blocked by edema so lucky timing can play a part in getting a diagnosis. The only tests I know of are ones where they insert dye into a suspected area and then watch for it to come out somewhere else.

#3 maitland

maitland

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi, I'm Glenn, 36 and a elementary school teacher. I signed up on this sight to try to get some advice from anyone else suffering from the symptoms that I am going through. In 2010 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. My gastro-doctor told me to take a high fiber diet and try a probiotic like Align. I was also diagnosed with IBS. In the last month or two, in addition to periodic diverticulitis flare-ups, I've been noticing a very strong smell from my abdomen. This is something that when I first noticed, I was at school and honestly thought my dress pants just needed a dry clean or something. But it's become more noticeable to me.... I even smell it when in bed. It doesn't matter if I have regular bowel movements or diarrhea... the smell is there when I use the bathroom... but also there just walking around, sitting around, etc. The smell is very hard to describe... I guess I would say it is most like rotten eggs, if I had to give some sort of description. My doctor gave me a bacterial breath test about a month ago... but it came back negative. Is there another test that should be run? I started taking dicyclomine for when diverticulitis flare-ups occur, along with Librax (for, I guess, relaxing the brain/stomach connection). Could anyone guess what this smell could be? I'm worried that something "burst" in my intestines or something... I know that sounds crazy, but I'm picturing something "leaking" into my bloodstream causing this smell. I realize how ridiculous that might sound... Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

if you had a hole in your intestine or something was leaking in to the blood like bacteria this is called sepsis and you would now be in the hospital on the critical list....have u been out of the country on vacation or anything...eaten some strange new foods recently?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here