Advertisement

Photo

IBS and diverticulitis advice (and strong smell)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glenn75

glenn75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm Glenn, 36 and a elementary school teacher. I signed up on this sight to try to get some advice from anyone else suffering from the symptoms that I am going through. In 2010 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. My gastro-doctor told me to take a high fiber diet and try a probiotic like Align. I was also diagnosed with IBS. In the last month or two, in addition to periodic diverticulitis flare-ups, I've been noticing a very strong smell from my abdomen. This is something that when I first noticed, I was at school and honestly thought my dress pants just needed a dry clean or something. But it's become more noticeable to me.... I even smell it when in bed. It doesn't matter if I have regular bowel movements or diarrhea... the smell is there when I use the bathroom... but also there just walking around, sitting around, etc. The smell is very hard to describe... I guess I would say it is most like rotten eggs, if I had to give some sort of description. My doctor gave me a bacterial breath test about a month ago... but it came back negative. Is there another test that should be run? I started taking dicyclomine for when diverticulitis flare-ups occur, along with Librax (for, I guess, relaxing the brain/stomach connection). Could anyone guess what this smell could be? I'm worried that something "burst" in my intestines or something... I know that sounds crazy, but I'm picturing something "leaking" into my bloodstream causing this smell. I realize how ridiculous that might sound... Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

Advertisement

#2 AIRPLANE

AIRPLANE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is a fistula although I'm not sure about it coming from the abdomen though it certainly could be possible. Usually, with diverticulitis, if a fistula forms it goes from the sigmoid colon (that's the lower left where diverticulosis/diverticulitis seems to occur most frequently) to the bladder so the gas would leak through the urinary tract. A fistula is an abnormal opening that can occur from weak/inflamed areas. Besides diverticulitis, people with inflammatory bowel conditions are prone to them. I myself had very distinct symptoms of one after having surgery but was not able to get a diagnosis. There are tests for them but unfortunately they can be difficult to detect because the hole can go through various stages- it can be larger at times and then partially close or be blocked by edema so lucky timing can play a part in getting a diagnosis. The only tests I know of are ones where they insert dye into a suspected area and then watch for it to come out somewhere else.

#3 maitland

maitland

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi, I'm Glenn, 36 and a elementary school teacher. I signed up on this sight to try to get some advice from anyone else suffering from the symptoms that I am going through. In 2010 I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. My gastro-doctor told me to take a high fiber diet and try a probiotic like Align. I was also diagnosed with IBS. In the last month or two, in addition to periodic diverticulitis flare-ups, I've been noticing a very strong smell from my abdomen. This is something that when I first noticed, I was at school and honestly thought my dress pants just needed a dry clean or something. But it's become more noticeable to me.... I even smell it when in bed. It doesn't matter if I have regular bowel movements or diarrhea... the smell is there when I use the bathroom... but also there just walking around, sitting around, etc. The smell is very hard to describe... I guess I would say it is most like rotten eggs, if I had to give some sort of description. My doctor gave me a bacterial breath test about a month ago... but it came back negative. Is there another test that should be run? I started taking dicyclomine for when diverticulitis flare-ups occur, along with Librax (for, I guess, relaxing the brain/stomach connection). Could anyone guess what this smell could be? I'm worried that something "burst" in my intestines or something... I know that sounds crazy, but I'm picturing something "leaking" into my bloodstream causing this smell. I realize how ridiculous that might sound... Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

if you had a hole in your intestine or something was leaking in to the blood like bacteria this is called sepsis and you would now be in the hospital on the critical list....have u been out of the country on vacation or anything...eaten some strange new foods recently?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here