5 replies to this topic

#1 Mallory Holt

Mallory Holt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Advertisement
I have been told that I have IBS, but when I hear people describe it or read about it, they always describe IBS sufferers having "attacks".. Does this mean you eat something and then feel really bad for an hour and then feel normal? Do you have pain/d/c everyday? For me, I almost always have pain, every single minute of the day, but the way people describe it makes it seem like the pain comes and goes? Is this true for you guys?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,863 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Depends, some people have a couple of bad episodes a week, others have near constant symptoms.Both are seen in IBS. When mine got bad it was constant until I found the right treatment for me, after that I started having good days and bad days, but usually the bad days were for several hours of the day, not just an hour.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Cassie90

Cassie90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

"Attacks" is pretty vague term. Personally, I think it refers more to the people with IBS-D or anxiety IBS sufferers, rather than people with IBS-C (who I would assume have a more constant uncomfortable/painful feeling). But I could be mistaken. There are days when I'm feeling not quite right (but not necessarily bad), and then there are days when IBS literally attacks, and I'm running to the bathroom all day and/or can't leave my house.For me, attacks mean:1. If I eat something bad, or do something I shouldn't have (lay down after eating, for instance) within 20 minutes I get horrible cramping and pain. It firsts start out really uncomfortable and I can't sit still, and it quickly becomes worse until I'm practically doubled over and feeling like I'm going to faint because of the pain. Eventually I'll have diarrhea, which makes it better, and by then I'm sweaty, shivery and absolutely exhausted. Also, usually after having an attack, I'll keep having smaller ones all day. It's like my body rejects all food after the attack. 2. Anxiety IBS attacks come on much more suddenly than food IBS attacks. It's usually feeling fine to excruciating pain and cramping within a few minutes; however, as soon as I'm out of the stressful situation, the cramping goes away and I can (usually) return to normal, with no more smaller attacks throughout the day (unless I'm still in a stressful environment/state of mind) IBS doesn't come and go, but it can get much, much worse for short periods of time (hence "attacks"). I don't think anyone has normal days, as we're all constantly fearful of what we eat/where the bathrooms are/other "rules" of IBS, but I do have days where I don't have IBS attacks. And that's what I consider a 'normal, non-IBS' day.

#4 indyibsguy

indyibsguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I wish once I was out of a stressful situation my symptoms would subside. My "attacks" can last days to weeks until my meds finally calm everything down and I am back to normal. My IBS symptoms are more pronounced as stomach/abdominal, left side pain with some mid to lower back pain. Sometimes I have the D or C, usually something more in between I guess. But for me, my IBS is about the pain more so than the bowel movements. During these stretches of IBS pain, I will have instances where I have the abdominal pain more than usual, like really painful, that is solved by having a movement. But for the most part, I'm one of those lucky ones who when my IBS sets in, it is a long affair.
A non-convinced and frustrated IBS Suffer from the Midwest.

#5 sick2much

sick2much

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have been told that I have IBS, but when I hear people describe it or read about it, they always describe IBS sufferers having "attacks".. Does this mean you eat something and then feel really bad for an hour and then feel normal? Do you have pain/d/c everyday? For me, I almost always have pain, every single minute of the day, but the way people describe it makes it seem like the pain comes and goes? Is this true for you guys?

IBS in and of itself is a blanket statement that doctors use. It could mean something as simple as you get irregular diahrea all the way to having fake heart attacks. It depends on the severity of the symptoms. With that said, an attack can mean multiple things on this board and in the IBS community. It could mean that an hour before a bowel movement your lower back is killing you and you want to scream. It could mean your gut cramps every day before you have diahrea. It could mean trapped gas in the small intestines and you feel like vomiting for hours. Etc, etc, and etc. I guess to generalize it, I would refer to it as a uncomfortable feeling ranging from mild to severe caused by the gastro intestinal tract. As far as how long attacks are? Some people feel bad for almost the whole day, sometimes days on end with only minutes of relief; and this can go on for years mind you. Other people can have an attack that last for seconds to minutes. Depends on the individual, type, onset, and many of factors. The key to managing is figuring out what cuases your personal attacks and trying to figure out what started your IBS.

#6 lone_paladin

lone_paladin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I had IBS-C for sixteen years. Saying had because I know that God can take it away hopefully. My attacks are always painful as well. It's like having a heated razor blade in my stomach cutting all my intestines. It's been like that for so long now and then theirs the flatulence stuff. So it's both physical and emotionally draining. My attacks are usually accompanied by a mix of abdominal pain and shortness of breath. I hide it so well that I must have been a soldier in a past life or something...LOL!!!! Doctors also said they could do nothing. I went to one doctor and he told me that IBS is a chronic illness and that if he had a cure he could be a noble peace prize winner. Basically they say that it can't be cured only experimentally treated.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here