3 replies to this topic

#1 EllaGuru

EllaGuru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Advertisement
My "pain," which I should say is more of a pressure, is almost always in the same area: upper left portion of my abdomen, just right under the rib cage. Yes, it is relieved by a good BM most of the time and seems to be better when I take a stool softener, but i think it is so strange that it is in the same place and worry it may be something more.All my blood tests were normal, and so were my stool tests, so I would like to think this is only IBS, but not really knowing is really adding stress/anxiety, which I'm sure makes it all worse.Any thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,228 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

If you want/need more testing to allay your anxiety.. ask your Dr. The area you mention is a very common spot for discomfort in IBS'ers.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 tigerlily211

tigerlily211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

That's where I have my pain, too. Upper abdomen under the rib cage. I was reading at one point that gas pains usually tend to move around. But sometimes I think when it gets trapped ("trapped wind") it stays in the same place. I was worried too, at first, but then I started hearing more people with IBS report a similar symptom.How would you classify the pain? Mine is always a sharp burning pain...feels better when I lay on my stomach or put heat on it (heating pad, hot water bottle, heat patch, etc.)I read that pain from trapped gas feels better when you lay down on your stomach.

#4 EllaGuru

EllaGuru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

I was talking to a friend yesterday who also gets gas trapped in the same place. It is where the large intestine turns, so it makes sense.Sometimes when I push on the area, I can feel the gas and other stuff moving around. I think that since my "pain" is more of a pressure and full feeling that there is poo as well as gas trapped there.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here