Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

relief from IBS pain

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gacridge 
#1 ·
For the past 25 yrs. I have gone through bouts of IBS that usually last 2-3 weeks at a time. Pain is very intense and no RX pain reliever has helped. During this last bout that had lasted 3 weeks with no sign of letting up I decided to try something to see if I could get the pain to relax...as I could feel the pain starting I rubbed Vicks Vapor Rub on the pain area(lower abdomen). I got relief within 15 min. from pain. I now rub Vicks on pain area twice daily and have not had an attack since I started this regime. I am so thrilled that this has worked and felt it might be worth a try for other IBS patients.

#2 ·
thanks! that's a great idea--i'll have to try it.i have arthritis and back problems and use the icy-hot type rubs as well as the salonpas patches (camphor/menthol) on sore achy areas. the patches are handy because there is very little smell with them plus they last a while. think i'll try those on the tummy as well.thanks!

#3 ·
I finally added Vicks Vaporub to treat IBS symptoms. I have had problems with IBS for 22 years. My main problem is blockage and hard stools that get trapped, doesn't want to go up or down. I could be up hours, especially in the night, with great pain. I admit I chose to change my diet first. Getting gluten out of my system was the best thing I have done. Second, I get more fruits and veggies. I don't like veggies so I choose non dairy smoothies to hid them. While things are progressively better, I still have some blockage now and again. A few weeks ago, I applied a generous amount of Vicks, topical, along the right side of my large colon, where most of my blockage occurs. I could feel the menthol heating up and had no idea what would happen, but it couldn't hurt. To my surprise, within 20 minutes the pain of the pressure was significantly decreased. Within an hour, I was using the bathroom. I continued this routine for 3 nights in a row. I did not have blockage on these nights, but I realized it was softening my stools the next day. Like the commercial says, #2 should be easy to do. If you have troubles like me, I would recommend this natural treatment. Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.