2 replies to this topic

#1 jarvi

jarvi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Advertisement
I was wondering, if your abdominal pains seem to be occurring after eating, or is related to certain foods etc. when do you usually experience the pain?Lately I've been having some episodes of pain in the evening, maybe about five or six hours after dinner - not every day, maybe a couple of times a week. Today I ate a less than healthy meal and also had coffee in the evening. Should learn to be careful with that. Pain in the evening is annoying because it usually causes me to worry about my symptoms and prevents me from going to sleep... But I guess there shouldn't be much to worry about, since I do see a pattern here. Very rarely pain in the morning and daytime but things get bad in the evening. I tend not to eat lunch, just breakfast and dinner, which is probably the problem. Unfortunately my schedules don't allow me to change this much either, as I want to be able to eat at home in the evening and not have to eat a bad cafeteria lunch in the afternoon.

Advertisement

#2 leebe20

leebe20

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was wondering, if your abdominal pains seem to be occurring after eating, or is related to certain foods etc. when do you usually experience the pain?Lately I've been having some episodes of pain in the evening, maybe about five or six hours after dinner - not every day, maybe a couple of times a week. Today I ate a less than healthy meal and also had coffee in the evening. Should learn to be careful with that. Pain in the evening is annoying because it usually causes me to worry about my symptoms and prevents me from going to sleep... But I guess there shouldn't be much to worry about, since I do see a pattern here. Very rarely pain in the morning and daytime but things get bad in the evening. I tend not to eat lunch, just breakfast and dinner, which is probably the problem. Unfortunately my schedules don't allow me to change this much either, as I want to be able to eat at home in the evening and not have to eat a bad cafeteria lunch in the afternoon.

I get the Pain 5-12 hours later I reckon this is because it takes this long for food to get to the large colon where all the problems start to happen.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Several hours after dinner is typical of a when the food hits the colon and the gas volume increases. You might look at having a low-starch, low gas producing meal for dinner and see if that helps.If you tend to have pain right after a meal that is more from the act of eating (and the colon getting a time to be more active signal), and smaller more frequent meals tends to help with that.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here