2 replies to this topic

#1 wrightsville28

wrightsville28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Advertisement
Hi everyone!!I'm new to this forum & have recently been diagnosed with IBS & Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I have cut out most dairy (with the exception of greek-yogurt), & saw Breyers Lactose-Free ice-cream in the super-market yesterday. It seems that it has the same ingredients as their regular ice-cream, but they have included the Lactase enzyme. Would adding this really work well enough to allow people who are extremely sensitive to dairy to eat this ice-cream without severe symptoms?? Thanks so much for any info & advice!!

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

It should get rid of the lactose, but that is not the one and only thing in ice cream that may cause issues. Can you tolerate the fat in the ice cream, if you are fat sensitive and it is full fat ice cream you may not be able to eat very much. Are you allergic to the milk proteins. Lactase doen't fix protein or fat issues. Also if you have issues with sugars or other things the add to flavor or thicken it (some brands have gums that can increase gas in some people) the lactase won't fix that.Can you drink lactose free milk? I might try a bit of that which is just milk and lactase before venturing into the ice cream with all the other things that can be in it.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 wrightsville28

wrightsville28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

It should get rid of the lactose, but that is not the one and only thing in ice cream that may cause issues. Can you tolerate the fat in the ice cream, if you are fat sensitive and it is full fat ice cream you may not be able to eat very much. Are you allergic to the milk proteins. Lactase doen't fix protein or fat issues. Also if you have issues with sugars or other things the add to flavor or thicken it (some brands have gums that can increase gas in some people) the lactase won't fix that.Can you drink lactose free milk? I might try a bit of that which is just milk and lactase before venturing into the ice cream with all the other things that can be in it.

thanks so much for the info!! i hadn't thought much about the fat & sugar issue. i am much more sensitive to sugar than fat, it seems. i will definitely look further into the other ingredients before trying it out. thanks again :)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here