10 replies to this topic

#1 Bettsann

Bettsann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Advertisement
I am wondering if anyone could tell me what 'works best' for you when it comes to eating during a flare up? I am realizing the importance of keeping written track of what I eat. Although there are times certain foods do not make any difference...and its hard to tell WHAT is triggering it. Thanks for sharing with me.

Advertisement

#2 Bettsann

Bettsann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I am wondering if anyone could tell me what 'works best' for you when it comes to eating during a flare up? I am realizing the importance of keeping written track of what I eat. Although there are times certain foods do not make any difference...and its hard to tell WHAT is triggering it. Thanks for sharing with me.

Hi...thought I would add this since I haven't had any replies... I sure would appreciate it if you have any good luck with what you eat during the day (or days) you are having a flare up. Thanks! :rolleyes:

#3 peaches41

peaches41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

I have found that food has little effect on my ibs, except foods that I found hard to digest when I didn't have it. I mean things like the usual gassy culprits, cauli, cabbage, sprouts, beans, etc. Apart from those, I don't take any particular precautions during a flare up, just try to keep calm and take Immodium and extra calcium. In fact, I find if I eat more bulky foods, like All-Bran, wholemeal bread, rice etc. the better.Hope your flare goes soon :(

#4 Bettsann

Bettsann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have found that food has little effect on my ibs, except foods that I found hard to digest when I didn't have it. I mean things like the usual gassy culprits, cauli, cabbage, sprouts, beans, etc. Apart from those, I don't take any particular precautions during a flare up, just try to keep calm and take Immodium and extra calcium. In fact, I find if I eat more bulky foods, like All-Bran, wholemeal bread, rice etc. the better.Hope your flare goes soon :(

Thank you, Peaches, for your comments. I really think you really zoomed in on the truth of the matter. I know that my 'state of mind' has MUCH more to do with how long the flare up lasts (not saying its real easy to keep turning in the right direction! B) )...but I agree with you that simply avoiding the usual 'problem foods' at ALL times is always helpful. I do continue to take Yerba Prima's psyllium husks before bedtime does help, at all times... even though some people think you can become too dependant upon it. I don't find that to be so....anyway, thanks again!

#5 leeniepie

leeniepie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

i have found that the low FODMAP diet has helped my gas and bloating, and through this found that wheat based cereals, large amounts of dairy, avacado, plums, chocolate, apples, onion, garlic are bad for me.when i am having a bad time, i find carbs seem to go down well, as do warm drinks, and savory foods more than sweet (thats prob coz i get nauseous when im having a bad time). toast always wins, unfortunately bread is a 'bad' food for me!

#6 joan of ard

joan of ard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

I am having an ongoing stress problem which is giving my IBS-D a MISERABLE time.In order to keep my IBS under control, I must take Immodium daily.And my doc recommended psyllium for bulking.So I feel I'm spending my life--nursing my IBS.I HARDLY lead a normal life any more.Had to cut out the Immodium, because it was drying me up--this cant be healthy.Always thirsty..feel dehydrated..Can no longer eat raw lettuce no matter the Immodium.And the flare, sort of controlled,WILL return w/vengence-why I can't figure out.Guess stress is very powerful.They call the bowel the second brain.<sigh>Here is what I eat when things are very bad: boiled white skinless chicken, in chicken broth, with rice.WHITE jasmine rice, not even brown. Or potato.Cut into it, a large onion, some celery, a carrot, if I'm lucky.A not- brown banana.In the morning I can eat a piece of gluten-free toast (yes gluten-sensitive too.) with almond butter, a few blackberries (supposed to be good against diarrhea) and a tall mug of green tea.If things are bad I must FLY to bathroom before I finish tea.(Hate these mad dashes)At night (or for lunch) I can have a cup of plain goat yogurt, and a naval orange.These are my safe foods, although one really never can count on anything when off Immodium.When I'm slightly in better shape, can eat more normal things-meat,cooked vegs(roast asparagus w/lemon juice, for example.) and if things are REALLY good, can have a small salad-some romaine leaves or endive, a tomato, w/olive oil & vinegar. I always seem to overdo the salad, and have to go back to square 1.I'm a health food nut-organic food, and whole grains.All the white rice & potato go against my grain, but what can one do? I can also manage some chicken breast in tomato sauce over corn pasta, on VERY good days.Again, anything TOO normal WILL set me back.And I was on Imodium for about a month and am trying not to go back on.Hot weather eating is hard--no tuna salad-things w/fat seem to upset my IBM, except almond butter.Gluten-free bread makes NASTY sandwiches.I'd like an omelet, but sometimes eggs arent good for me.Hot peppers, which I love, even garlic sometimes, set off a flare.I have been "delicate" after a huge flare in FEBRUARY! I made a very spicy chili for Superbowl-watching.<sigh> I have paid dearly.And cant seem to get over this flare.When I think I'm OK,I find I'm not.In essence, one has to go slow, be careful, and go by trial & error.(And this doesnt lead to going too far from bome)Now that it's the warm season, I feel embarrassed with my swollen tummy bulging out.Inflammation.I hope I've given you some ideas, in sharing my safe foods.I hope you're doing well, and feeling better.Joan

#7 SharonPH

SharonPH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi, I don't know if I should comment or not since my problem is the opposite of yours... IBS-C (and sometimes with a little D...maybe I am IBS-A... I don't know). When I have a "flare" and I have horrible pain in primarily one area, but the pain is SO BAD that I yelp and groan... The gastro doctor told me to go on a liquid diet for 2 or 3 days (I follow the MAYO diet for diverticulosis) to give my bowels a chance to rest and stop to STOP the spasms. I drink ENSURE clear as well during this time, 180 calories and 18 (?) grams of protein I think. This works for me,and then I slowly add foods back.

#8 DAD

DAD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi -Don't know your health history, but this should help:You can use MRT or muscle response testing to immediately and accurately tell if a particular food is an allergen or could possibly bother you before eating it so you can avoid the unpleasant symptom after eating it. This is all part of the NAET technology of testing and treating allergies. It has been very successful for my wife and I the past 10 years and continues to be. Once you educate yourself on this quick method of non-invasive testing, you can choose to then avoid an allergen or treat for it so you can use it successfully in the future. Allergens create energy blockages that can/do get worse over time if not cleared out and can lead to further illness.Also I have read on another site that a member said she has eliminated her IBS altogether for the past couple years by using a probiotic called Cyto Matrix Multi Strain 11 so you can read on that and see how you feel about it . . . but first check anything new as a possible allergen to your body by using MRT as it is very quick and accurate, but does take a little practice at first to become proficient at it. You can read the book "Say Goodbye to Illness" as a guide for this or some of Devi's other books as her techniques are now a proven resource.DAD

#9 Bettsann

Bettsann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi...thought I would add this since I haven't had any replies... I sure would appreciate it if you have any good luck with what you eat during the day (or days) you are having a flare up. Thanks! :rolleyes:

I want to say THANK YOU for everyone who replied. I hadn't been on this site for a couple of weeks, because I didn't think anyone would reply.I appreciate all the suggestions you gave...every single one of you.THANK YOU. Bless you all real good! :)

#10 BeeRitt

BeeRitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Bettsann, like you I felt that no particular food was a trigger for me. I cut out rich foods and gassy foods. so no fried foods, no cheese, no broccoli, beans, cabbage, I eliminated milk products, apples, lettuce, spinach, everything I assumed might cause the problem. Maybe its this, or this, or this. I went crazy trying to eliminate things I thought were the culprit, but I would continue to have problems no matter what. So then I started eating smaller portions, thinking maybe the size of food was the problem, and again no improvement. I chalked it up to good old IBS symptoms. I ordered a book on the low FODMAPs diet 3 weeks ago and I've been following it since and I have seen real improvement, amazingly. I had a couple foods with gluten in them while on the diet and had flare ups, so I believe I'm sensitive to gluten. The diet will help you to pin point what is causing problems for you. (The diet doesnt work for everyone but something like 75% of IBS suffers see improvement)

#11 Shanel

Shanel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

White rice is a staple for me when I'm having a flare.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here