THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES! - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

THE GREAT LIST OF REMEDIES!

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 TheOutlookChild

TheOutlookChild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Advertisement
I wanted to start a comprehensive list of food, herbal, medical, and physical remedies that have helped people in the past. Anything that has worked for IBS-C. I am in a really bad bout right now and that is what I am looking for. Many people come to this site looking for information that can help when everything else fails so I thought this might be a good idea. I will start the list. Things that have worked for me at some point: Herbal: Senna Leaf. Medical: Lactulose, polyglycol 3350, Ducolax, copious amounts of sea salt water. Food: Hemp Hearts, Spinach, Licorice, Prunes, strawberries, watermelon. Physical: Extended walks.Stuff that did not work: Chlorella. Colostrum.
  • annie7, Tolaiian, Allecta and 2 others like this

#2 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Great idea! Here's mine:prunesSwedish Bittersprobioticsground flaxWhole leaf aloe juiceChinese diet tea magnesium pills
  • Rg86gg likes this

#3 ABNormal

ABNormal

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Worked (but some stopped working later):Probiotics--good ones--I use Life Start 2 (still working)Milk of Magnesia (still working)Lactulose (still working when used intermittently)Miralax (in combination)Colon Cleanse (stopped working)H2Go (works sometimes)Senna (stopped working)Bran (stopped working)Walking (certainly helps)Drinking lots of water (helps)Aloe juice (stopped working)Diet tea (stopped working)Traditional Medicinals Smooth Move (stopped working)Ex-Lax (stopped working)Dulcolax (stopped working--believe this really messed me up--addictive)Renew Life Cleanse Smart (stopped working)Renew Life Ultimate Flora (stopped working)Intestinew (in combination)Fleet Enema (works sometimes)Never worked:AmitizaPrunesCitrucelFiber SmartGeneral fiber products
  • Abartlea likes this

#4 leeniepie

leeniepie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

great idea! - you're right, this is what people come looking for ( i know i did!)works for me (sometimes works i should say, we all have those time when nothhing seems to work!)- liquorice- prunes- fried/greasy food- alcohol- exercise- lots of water- laxido/movicol (poly-whatever it is-glycol)- abdominal massagedoesnt work- senna- fibre suppliments- lactuloseduring a particularly bad time where i didnt 'go' for nearly 3 weeks, my dr told me to take 8 sachets of laxido in 1 litre of water for 3 days max. by day 2 i had diarrhoea, but at least the problem was solved1 so this is my emergency back-up plan now :lol:

#5 Dreyfuss

Dreyfuss

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Worked : Lactulose (used sporadically) Citrucel (some success) Going to try Align Probiotic. Others have been a waste of money ExerciseNothing else has worked. Amitiza was awful. Disappointed in Konsall fiber and it was not cheap either. Have tried every other over the counter med. Waste of money. Holistic products have all been a total waste and very expensive.

#6 steeddog

steeddog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

So far, one thing that I know helps.....Benefiber (forms a cushion so when the colon spasms, it doesn't clamp onto a hard stool).

#7 BlueBird Happy

BlueBird Happy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

flax seeds groundPUMPKIN (or butternut squash but need more) is the best daily "medicine" I have taken yet. works better than MiralaxMiralaxwhen all else fails, senna and enemas
  • Gooby likes this

#8 jarvi

jarvi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I started taking magnesium supplements last week and that seems to have really helped the constipation. I have been constantly constipated for a long time but since starting the magnesium supplements I've had a bowel movement almost daily. I am also trying to get a lot of fiber but no more than before the magnesium and that never significantly helped before. I hope this lasts, I haven't had stomach pains really either since starting this. The one I take has magnesium oxide and stearate in it. (Unfortunately that is not the end of my problems, since the reason why I started magnesium in the first place was because I've heard it can help with muscle twitching... hopefully just stress though. But that doesn't belong in this thread)
  • Abartlea likes this

#9 miserableme

miserableme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

flax seeds groundPUMPKIN (or butternut squash but need more) is the best daily "medicine" I have taken yet. works better than MiralaxMiralaxwhen all else fails, senna and enemas

how do you prepare your pumpkin?

#10 miserableme

miserableme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

After reading your post list of remedies....and thank you BTW. I've noticed that alot of you use senna or other laxatives. I very recently had a colonoscopy and the gastro doc pointed out tissue damage from senna and other lax's that I have been talking but not abusing. He wants me to get off the lax's completely. Are any of you concerned about this side effect?
  • Sungleska and GJMody like this

#11 timgermain

timgermain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Works for me:1. eating small portions of food2. eating food that is not processed -- whole food3. eating well before bed4. Prune juice5. flax seed6. lots of veggies -- steamedH PYLORI7. antibiotics8. broccoli sprouts9. broccoli10. probiotics11. grape fruit seed extractWhat works for me is MAINTAINING a good diet and exercise. Sucky and hard... but only thing that has worked. Another thing taht worked well was getting rid of my h pylori, as it was absurd the amount of pain / indigestion it was causing. Once I weakened that with abx, I've been maintaining it with natural / herbal anti-biotics. And since that has cleared up, I can feel the food digesting better in my stomcah = less stagnation in my small bowel = less bacterial overgrowth, less acidity.
  • rvz likes this

#12 BlueBird Happy

BlueBird Happy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Miserableme, Both squashes I either boil or roast with olive oil and usually pumpkin pie spices. Sometimes when I don't have time for fresh, I use plain pumpkin from the can. Always like to have it on hand.
  • Gooby likes this

#13 TheOutlookChild

TheOutlookChild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

miserableme, I recently had a colonoscopy too. The doctor told me that senna can sometimes stain your intestines after long periods of time but that it does no actual damage to the intestinal walls. I hardly ever use it, I have been going everyday since the colonoscopy using only osmotics, fibre, small meals and excercise. I am also taking chinese tea that I bought from a traditional doctor. It contains no laxatives though.

#14 oceannir

oceannir

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

miserableme, I recently had a colonoscopy too. The doctor told me that senna can sometimes stain your intestines after long periods of time but that it does no actual damage to the intestinal walls. I hardly ever use it, I have been going everyday since the colonoscopy using only osmotics, fibre, small meals and excercise. I am also taking chinese tea that I bought from a traditional doctor. It contains no laxatives though.

I'm not sure I agree with that and Senna. There is debate. The problem most people find is decreasing effectiveness. I mean if it continued to work as effective as ever we could just take Senna tablets everyday and be on our merry ways! :lol:
  • Sungleska likes this

#15 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

ZelnormMagneisumprunes
Tiss

#16 catlover1128

catlover1128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to the group and glad I found it. Also glad I'm not the only one with these problems. Been plagued for years (like 30). Been laxative dependent for most of them. There is a tea I take from Republic of Tea called (don't laugh) "Get It Going." Have to admit I actually take my ducolax pills with the tea, and sometimes put a dose of Miralax in it, and that helped for a long time. Then stopped working totally about two weeks ago. My friend at work suggested MOM, which certainly worked, but is causing me extreme bloat and gas. Don't know which is worse.

#17 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9950 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Hi catlover and welcome to the group.

like you, i've struggled with chronic constipation for years (50). per my gastro's advice--since nothing else works- i take either dulcolax or senna along with MOM (quite the cocktail--lol) and yes the MOM does work (better than miralax, for me) but yes it sure does cause gassiness and bloat--some days are definitely worse than others. which is very unpleasant but for me at least it's better than being totally backed up with stool which is a harder much more painful bloat..plus i want to avoid an impaction.

my gastro docs told me that taking laxatives daily was far better than developing an impacyion.

just a note--when taking dulcolax and milk of magnesia, be sure to take them at least an hour apart otherwise you'll get cramping.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#18 miserableme

miserableme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Miserableme, Both squashes I either boil or roast with olive oil and usually pumpkin pie spices. Sometimes when I don't have time for fresh, I use plain pumpkin from the can. Always like to have it on hand.

Thanks so much :)

#19 miserableme

miserableme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! Unfortunately I'm not famaliar with osmotics??

#20 catlover1128

catlover1128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I'm doing this right. My problem with MoM is that, yes, it cures the constipation, but a little too well. Now it's diarrahea. I just wish I could find something that worked properly - like my colon!

Hi catlover and welcome to the group. like you, i've struggled with chronic constipation for years (50). per my gastro's advice--since nothing else works- i take either dulcolax or senna along with mom (quite the cocktail--lol) and yes the mom does work (better than miralax, for me) but yes it sure does cause gassiness and bloat--some days are definitely worse than others. which is very unpleasant but for me at least it's better than being totally backed up with stool which is a harder much more painful bloat..plus i want to avoid an impaction.

• Debbie Davis likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here