Advertisement

Photo

Why is it that no matter what I eat I get gas?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Advertisement
I can't find a single food that doesn't give me gas later... it's so frustrating.

Advertisement

#2 rockymountaingal

rockymountaingal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Me neither. It seems even drinking water gives me gas. :(

#3 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Have either or both of you tried any probiotics? Digestive enzymes???
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#4 2muchgas

2muchgas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Pretty much everything I eat gives me gas and I use probiotics and digestive enzymes.. Rice used to be my go to "anti-flatulent food" but now it gives me gas.

#5 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Have either or both of you tried any probiotics? Digestive enzymes???

Yes both, with little to no success. And in most cases, they make it worse.

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

You may fart after meals because any gas you do make (even on a low gas diet you will make some) not because of what was in the meal but that the colon pushes the gas along and it comes out after meals.And it is rare, but some people do swallow air more than usual and may be gassy even if they eat no food for 48-72 hours.Feeling full and bloated or even distended may not be gas and you can feel like that for many reasons.What is the symptom that is bothering you when you say "every food gives me gas"? as some people mean fart frequency, others mean pain or distension.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#7 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

You may fart after meals because any gas you do make (even on a low gas diet you will make some) not because of what was in the meal but that the colon pushes the gas along and it comes out after meals.And it is rare, but some people do swallow air more than usual and may be gassy even if they eat no food for 48-72 hours.Feeling full and bloated or even distended may not be gas and you can feel like that for many reasons.What is the symptom that is bothering you when you say "every food gives me gas"? as some people mean fart frequency, others mean pain or distension.

I do swallow a lot of air and I believe this is part of it. I burp too, A LOT. The symptom that bothers me is the pain associated with the gas, as well as the need to pass gas all the time. When I release the gas the pain goes away.

#8 Shell13

Shell13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

I have the same problem, even water gives me gas. I don't think I swallow alot of air, but I've been trying to notice and reduce this if it's the problem. The pain of the gas is what gets me, if I could release it, it would be fine, but even when I try to fart, it rarely happens. It makes me feel like I've been C for a week or something even when I'm going regularly. Some people say they find gas uncomfortable, but for me, it's down right painful, sometimes doubled up on the floor. I've been trying yoga and today I bought some whole nutmeg, 'cause someone on this site mentioned that helped them,(but man, it's yucky!) I'm to the point that I wouldn't even care about the embarrasement of "letting a big one go", as long as it eased the pain.

#9 Shell13

Shell13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Oh, and probiotics and digestive aids don't help me either!

#10 stressedmess

stressedmess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

try taking a peppermint oil capsule a half hour before you eat. Helps minimized bloating and gas. and use a stronger probiotic like VSL#3

#11 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

try taking a peppermint oil capsule a half hour before you eat. Helps minimized bloating and gas. and use a stronger probiotic like VSL#3

I have tried both of these. Nothing really from the peppermint oil except my poop is a little runny later and feels cold. VSL#3 gave me terrible diarrhea.

#12 u25db2

u25db2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Have you tried the low FODMAP diet? My worst symptom is bloating and it causes me a lot of pain and discomfort when it is bad, but I find if I do the low FODMAP diet for a few days the bloating reduces a lot. There will still be some gas produced but it's a significant improvement and certainly lowers it to a manageable level.

#13 Katrina the cat

Katrina the cat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

I think every food makes me feel bloated and in pain to some extent, avoiding wheat helped in the past but the probiotics made me gassy and bloated …Drinking water makes me feel bloated too : (I just started the low FODMAP diet and will see if it will help.It helps to massage my belly because then I burp and get some relieve, sometimes going for a walk help for the same reason.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here