4 replies to this topic

#1 batesy

batesy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 10:10 AM

Advertisement
I"ve been using Imodium for many years now,but I"ve just seen a different doctor,and she"s put me on Lomotil.I"d be interested to hear anyboby elses experiences with this,the chemist told me Lomotil is stronger than Imodium.Thanks all.

Advertisement

#2 3fans8

3fans8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 12:26 PM

Hi, I 've been on Lomotil ever since I found out I had ibs-d It has always worked me until recently. But I just went to the doc and I have depression and he's going to check my tyroid. So there maybe something else wrong. But anyway I was fine only taking 1 lomotil a day. Good Luck!

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 03:38 PM

quote:
Lomotil is stronger than Imodium.
No, Imodium is "stronger" than Lomotil and Lomotil may have more side effects.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 CW5

CW5

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 08:41 PM

Lomotil is a combination of diphenoxylate and atropine. The diphenoxylate is an opiod type drug( effects on opiod receptors in GUT) while the atropine has antimuscarinic side effects which include constipation, urinary retention blurred vision at high doses. Imodium is loperamide which is also related opiod but not with the side effects of diphenoxylate. I would say both are equal in their effects but Lomotil would be more prone to tolerance than loperamide.I would not take lomotil at high dose long term but imodium is safe at frequent doses long term since it has minimal side effects.With all drugs which affect lower GUT tone one is always suspious of atony of colon if these drugs are taken for prolonged periods without supervision.Your Chemist was probably right since he/she did not really want you to take large Doses of lomotil. If in doubt ASK your Pharmacist as they are always there to advise you in your best interest and will on most occassions not sell you anything if they think that is the best course of action and REFER you.

#5 Homebound

Homebound

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 09:28 PM

Immodium, for me anyway.Lomotil didn't even work for me, and I had horrible side effects from it.My doctor also told me that Lomotil is addictive, something I don't have a problem with Immodium.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here