10 replies to this topic

#1 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Advertisement
I've been suffering with digestive problems for about 3 years now, having bowel movements numerous times a day. I'm 17 years old.
Ive been to the doctors numerous times and been given treatments including Mebeverine, Peppermint Capsules, (which did not help in the slightest) if not made me worse.... I've done about 3 stool samples to rule out serious conditions (my sister has ulcerative colitis but i've not yet ever seen blood in my stool, though i do get a fair amount of mucus) , but i have never had a Endoscopy or Colonoscopy, and after seeing a gastroenterologist, im currently taking Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg, on prescription.. and have been for about 5 months.
I would usually take 2 Loperamide a day, enough so im not always in the bathroom, but not too many as to make me constipated.
However i read that your body can learn to tolerate this medication, so it no longer works, so i've started taking it some days, and not others, so my body doesn't get too used to it. But after a day or so, i start at square one, getting stomach aches in the morning, with mushy stool. I don't want to be on loperamide my whole life, so i need some other options.

I also do not react well to Dairy Products, especially Milk and Yoghurts. I Don't drink an awful lot, maybe 4 glasses of water a day, but yet stools are always mushy, when i have no loperamide in my system.
I then decided to look up Gluten Intolerance, and the symptoms that are listed that i can relate to include
- Gas
- Bloating
- Loose/Mushy Stools
- Easily Bruised
- Light Headedness and Fatigue
- Tingly Feet
- Anxiety (im awful for worrying about going places, things going wrong, there not being a toilet about etc.)
- Irregular Periods (i went through a phase about 3 months ago, where i went 5 months with no period)
- Incomplete Evacuation (hense why i go to the loo so often, i'm never empty! and i have constant pressure like i need to go, and when im nervous about seeing 'someone' or going places, makes it 10x worse!)

I've never tried avoiding gluten, and i know it can be very hard to live on a gluten free diet!
Dcotors as you can see have not been much use to me, and im back to see My Gastro in January, any suggestions what this could actually be? and how i can ask my gastro to do some tests for Gluten Intolerance?
Any ideas would be hugely appreciated as at the minute im becoming a hermit! My social life is down the drain, it's getting me quiet upset and i ended up leaving college after just 1 year due to the amount of time i was taking off anyway, not to mention the fact i really want to start a relationship, but i know this would rule the roost to start off with! .. and trying to get a partner to understand the condition can be hard, when their always healthy, out and about, and im stuck inside with the bathroom, rarely wanting to be out! HELP!

Advertisement

#2 ronniemc

ronniemc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

So sorry you are going through so much. I know it can take a toll on you in every kind of way. I was just tested for Gluten. They just take a simple blood test. You can ask any doctor to test you for it. But don't stay away from Gluten until after you have the test or it won't show up. Eat a normal diet and then take the test. I tested negative.
I have had problems for years and they still don't have an answer for me. It is frustrating for sure. Don't give up and make the doctors check you for everything. If you can't find one that is willing to stick with you to the end then find someone that will. It's your life and your health that you are talking about. Hang in there :)

#3 00200293

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

You don't always have to have blood in the stool for it to be Colitis. It sounds like it could be that. Take a look at this video for more on Colitis.

#4 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hiya, thakyou for your replies! Im back at the doctors wednesday afternoon and im going to talk to them about Gluten Intollerance tests... if that does come back negative i might just try a gluten free diet for 2 weeks anyway, and if things improve, i will try and stick to it!
One thing i don't think i did mention was that i get a lot of mucus. But not always with stool. Almost every day, at diffferent points throughout the day, i feel the urges to have a BM, but there is just a clump of mucus. Usually quite a lot, but some days its not so bad.
I wish they could find what it is and help me get it sorted, i get sooo upset not being able to go out and do normal things and enjoy myself :-(

#5 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well, ive just got back from my doctor and i am FURIOUS!
She basically didn't give a stuff about what i had to say!
I even took my time to write my symptoms down so she could see exactly how it affects me and she wasn't even interested in looking at it!
She didn't talk to me, she talked AT me like i was a naughty 6 year old school child! & all she did was tell me off for not taking mebeverine when i was last prescribed it, when ive told them time and time and TIME again that ive taken 2 different mebeverine dosages and they havent done a thing to help me! So all that doctors trip did was reduce me to tears and make me DETEST the woman!
Lost all hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Just had a phone call from my doctors, i had some bloods taken on tuesday and they rang to ask me to make an appointment 'regarding my results' .. they also said non urgent, but i have to wait 11 days until my appointment to find out what it is... i was tested for celiac, inflammation, liver and kidney function, hormones and anemia.... so its one of them that's abnormal! ... im hoping its celiac as strange as it sounds, at least my more than dodgy bowel movements will be justified and can be sorted... but ill have to wait and see! ... Suspense is killing me already!

#7 marky mark

marky mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

Hi I've been through similar - had those tests, appointment back etc. In my case non-urgent meant they just wanted to talk in person rather than phone, to tell me tests were fine and it lead to nothing.

I hope they can name something but don't expect too much here as it's also quite possible they'll find nothing. IBS is an umbrella term the medical profession use when they cant label it anything else and know little about it. Fortunately there are things you can try such as the low fodmap diet, or look at food intolerance, so if it comes to nothing try to get referred to a dietician. Just my advice.

#8 Agadoo97

Agadoo97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hey did you find out what it is? o;

#9 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hiya, my appointment isnt until december 4th at 5:20pm.... 6 days away, but be sure to keep an eye on this thread, i'll update you as soon as i know :-)

#10 Agadoo97

Agadoo97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Good luck! (: I have very similar symptoms like you.
Went to the doctor , they said I don't have cancer ( Serious Hypochondriac) but they are sending me for a blood test due to my over weight ... dahm :/ Now im worried I forgot to tell some of my symptoms because when I sat on the chair I started to cry and couldn't stop haah <.< now I'm still worried I have cancer and I want it to stop :(

#11 Getting Me Down!

Getting Me Down!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Im abit like that too!! a bit of a hypochondria... but i figured it only makes problems worse than they really are so i try to just put all bad thoughts out of my mind... But you should do what i did the first time i visited the doctor, write ALL of your symptoms down, and how it makes you feel emotionally, mentally, and physically... because not only will it take the panic and worry away when your in the doctors office and forget what you want to say, but it will come in really handy for the doctor when they want to suggest treatment and tests! :-)
Anyway, i was at the doctors last night and turns out it was nothing on my blood test... It was something to do with my hormones but nothing that needed treating, it was just from the time of the month (between two periods) that the blood was taken, that altered something on the test. Although im kind of a bit gutted, i really hoped it would say something like celiac positive, so i could pin point why my bowels are all messed up. But anyway, suppose i should be grateful i have no major problems, and just an irritated gut/bowel. ... Although i've now been asked to provide a stool sample to test lactose intollerance, im now hoping this one comes back positive, haha. My Amitriptyline dose has also been 'upped' by 10mg, (now on 20mg) as i told her it has helped slow down gut motility quite alot in a morning which is a good thing in my case.
Got to go back to see her in 2-3 weeks time to see what the stool test result is and discuss further ideas, until then, im plodding on :-)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here