#1 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Advertisement
I've had two good and easy days with my constipation. I've incorporated a couple things and am wondering if they might be working (hope!). What I'm doing:

-I upped my Buspar dose to 20 mg twice a day (from 10 mg)
-I am spraying magnesium oil on my stomach at night and placing a heating pad on the area
-I'm taking milk thistle but have been for a week. It's either kicking in now or is not making a difference. Not sure which, but I'll keep at it.

Aside from these things, I'm doing what I typically do:
Lots of ground flax
2 magnesium pills nightly
2 triphala nightly
probiotic
Chinese diet tea (no senna) every other night
2 types of digestive enzymes when eating gassy foods
Lots of water!

Just sharing this as I think it's important that we talk about what might be working for us.

Advertisement

#2 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

hi Nicole

glad this combo is working for you. thanks for sharing.

i used to take triphala and it worked well for me for quite a while. i liked it because it sounds so healthy--like a tonic. from what i've read, it does contain some anthroquinones (like senna only milder) that help to stimulate bile flow and peristalsis. and all that vitamin c does help promote a bm too. i finally had to stop taking it because of my reflux. all that vit c aggravated it plus the effect started to wane..so glad it's working for you.

and hopefully your squat toilet will be in soon!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

oops -just saw your post about the squat toilet. sorry it's not helping. but yes you're right--it can't hurt to use it....maybe some experimentation may help..

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#4 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

(just testing the font size now. wonder why it changed? guess i fixed it...)

#5 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

When I wrote that, I had been off work for 4 days. Now that I am back and having to get up at 5:20 and to work by 7:00, I'm in the same place I've been in. I'll try adding vitamin C.

#6 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

oh dear--sorry to hear that.

yes hopefully the vit c will help. it used to loosen me up quite a bit.

and i always had problems with my constipation getting worse right before my period (back in the day before menopause--lol) so then i would take a little extra c to help loosen things up.

good luck.

#7 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Thanks, Annie. Yesterday, I also started a Chinese medicine formula that may help. I did do the C last night, in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff, and I am feeling okay today. I'll remember what you said as my period approaches.

#8 pukka

pukka

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I've had two good and easy days with my constipation. I've incorporated a couple things and am wondering if they might be working (hope!). What I'm doing:

-I upped my Buspar dose to 20 mg twice a day (from 10 mg)
-I am spraying magnesium oil on my stomach at night and placing a heating pad on the area
-I'm taking milk thistle but have been for a week. It's either kicking in now or is not making a difference. Not sure which, but I'll keep at it.

Aside from these things, I'm doing what I typically do:
Lots of ground flax
2 magnesium pills nightly
2 triphala nightly
probiotic
Chinese diet tea (no senna) every other night
2 types of digestive enzymes when eating gassy foods
Lots of water!

Just sharing this as I think it's important that we talk about what might be working for us.

How many times do you go a day? I have IBS-C, but still got about twice a day with coffee in the morning and yogurt/benefiber/prunes at night. I also take Align in the morining with Zegrid and Robinul (I normailly do not take the Zegrid and Robinol, but I have had a flare for the last few months). I also work out 5 times a week, 3.5-4 miles a day. I think my problem is more of incomplete evacuation/motility than consitpation. Which digestive enzymes do you take. I was taking Creon (pancreatic enzymes, but discontinued because made my constipation worse).

#9 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

pukka-I go once a day, but it takes me over an hour. I also think I have incomplete evacuation. Suppositories help a bit. Mine is rrlated to pelvic floor dysfunction. I take the Adult Probiotic by Flora. Have you found anything that works well for you?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here