#1 cjkmegan

cjkmegan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Advertisement
Hi,

I searched for coffee in the forum and ddn't find anything to help me. My mom has IBS-D. She loves her morning cup of coffee but I've noticed her IBS bouts are worse after she drinks her coffee. I'd like to find something that has the taste of coffee but will not cause her issues.

I found the following substitutes:
Roastaroma containing roasted chicory and barley, a hint of chocolate from roasted carob and just a touch of cinnamon and allspice
Cafix containing barley, malted barley, chicory and rye
Pero containing barley, malted barley, chicory and rye
Are any of these OK?

She is eating according to the low fodmaps plan. She does have issues with gluten but not a horrible issue, if she eats it occasionally. I know rye and barley are not gluten free.

Is tea (green, black, chai, etc) OK? Any other suggestions for her?

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 faze action

faze action

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Teeccino ia another coffee substitute out there... similar ingredients to the others you list (chicory, etc.).

Barley and rye both contain gluten. In addition to that many, many IBSers are senstive to the FODMAPs and chicory is a fructan. So I would say that none of the substitutes you posted (nor the one I posted) would be okay if your mom is trying to avoid gluten and FODMAPs. Tea should be okay unless the caffeine is what is causing a problem (and if so, then I would say why not try plain old decaf coffee first)...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here