8 replies to this topic

#1 Manick

Manick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Advertisement
I tried gas X ultra strength, and now I'm trying Phazyme 180mg. I switched to Phazyme because I read somewhere from somebody that it could be taken as many times as you wanted every day, unlike what Gas X says. However when I received my order for it, it had the same directions as gas X to take it after meals and take no more than 2 a day. Why are you supposed to take them after meals? My gas isn't usually bad after meals, and it gets worse the longer the day goes by. It also gets worse after bowel movements, and I gradually start bloating up more and more and it feels like there is trapped gas inside of me. I want to be able to take as many anti-gas pills as possible, or figure out the best way to relieve this bloating pain I constantly have. It's not like I eat that many gassy foods either. It doesn't matter what I eat, and it still feels like my bowels have trapped gas especially in the upper left part of my large intestine right underneath my ribcage where I can feel a hard bloated spot.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Usually you want it with the gas when it forms. So taking it with/just after meals means than when the gas forms the simethicone is with the food the gas is coming out of.

The simethicone (so I suspect you'll see similar dosing) is the same no matter the brand, and it stays in the gut. It doesn't go through the blood system to find the gas.

However simethicone is pretty unlikely to be anything you could possibly overdose on so if you wanted to take it with each and every meal and snack it would most likely be safe.

It may take a few doses to see a difference as the gas being formed in the colon isn't anywhere near the simethicone in your stomach right after you take it.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Manick

Manick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Ok thank you. Can anyone share their experiences using simethicone pills? Have you found that taking lots after every meal has helped you, even if you don't eat gassy foods?

#4 eitu343

eitu343

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

After taking these pills and I mean any kind of anti gas pills, say after a meal, do you get more of a sudden urge to pass wind or more discomfort than normal?

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

So I've used simethicone to offset the increased farting due to metamucil (even back before I had IBS I would fart more when I took it and for awhile I was on high does metamucil for lowering cholesterol).

Took it with the metamucil. I farted less. I did not have more discomfort from the gas.

But I had to take it with the metamucil. Taking it when the farting started didn't do anything.
Ph.D in Biology

#6 Manick

Manick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Interesting. I actually have metamucil, but I never used it yet. As a laxative, how would it be different than taking say, Natural Calm (350mg of Magnesium Citrate)? I have been taking this magnesium citrate supplement and the difference between 120% daily value (3 teaspoons) and 80% daily value (2 teaspoons), is the difference between it causing diarrhea or not having any at all. It never actually caused me to fart more though. If anything, I'd WELCOME anything that would cause me to fart, just to keep things flowing.

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Metamucil is a fiber so it absorbs water and holds it in the stool, but generally isn't that likely to cause diarrhea the same way an osmotic (like magnesium citrate) does.

Osmotics can pull in a lot more water than the bulk of the stool can hold so can cross over to diarrhea. With the fiber you tend to get less water pulled in, but what is adds to the bulk from the fiber.

Not sure if that made sense or not.
Ph.D in Biology

#8 nigol

nigol

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

what if Metamucil is taken along with the food? would that reduce gas?

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I don't think it matters much as I think the same amount of fermentable fiber will get to the colon with or without food.

After all fermentable fibers and resistant starch already in the food gets to the colon to cause gas.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here