5 replies to this topic

#1 qeiane

qeiane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Advertisement
Hi i suffer badly mainly i cant empty bowels...i am on 130ml lactulose and prune juice this produces watery stool yet loads gets left behind which only comes partly out with a phosphate enema...i cant push it out..i also have mulyiple sclerosis.....im desperate the pain is unbearable...i just need to empty...what else could i try as the massive dose of lactulosr isnt doing what it should..without it i dont go....wondering right now if have impaction as pain so bad....hospital wont help and i know phosphate enenas hekp but im making things worse doing them everyday....i feel full of poo badically and housebound....any thoughts ideas please share x

Advertisement

#2 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hi--so sorry for your problems. especially with MS complicating things. 

has your doctor been at all helpful about this--given you any advice or suggestions?

for bowel maintenance:

have you tried the Peristeen enema system by coloplast?  it is available in the UK and many people have had success with it for emptying their bowels. i've read it's especially helpful for people with other health problems like MS.

have you tried suppositories with a laxative in them like dulcolax suppositories or magic bullet?  they can also be helpful. these are not the plain glycerin suppositories--these have a laxative in them so they are more effective.  the magic bullet suppositories dissolve and work more quickly but they can be a bit painful. ducolax suppositories are a bit slower and gentler.

or perhaps taking a stimulant laxative daily or once or twice a week would help you..

there is also a relatively new medication available in the UK and europe called prucalopride (resolor) that promotes a bm.  many people have had success with that.

and if you are having problems emptying--it could be that your pelvic floor muscles aren't  coordinating properly to let stool out.. there are tests for that and also treatment--biofeedback and a special physical therapy but i don't know how successful all this would be for someone with MS...

if you feel you're developing an impaction--perhaps drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate would help with that--or taking a stimulant laxative like dulcolax pills or senna...

good luck. i do hope you can find a doctor who will be proactive about helping you. and i do hope you can find some relief.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 qeiane

qeiane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

hi
Ive tried peristeen and it didnt help at all i retained the water and needed to wee it out non stop....gave it good few go's but no help
Ive tried laxido again affected bladder
Glycetin suppositories tiny bit came
Microlax tiny bit came out
Phosphate enema does help but need evrryday is that safe?
Fibre stuff made me worse

When i was on augmentin antibiotic that helped started acridophilus today

Tried sennokot did nothing at all

I go in the middle of the night and morning but just liquidy (sorry)

Last two days done phosphate enemas cause the intense cramping i need and some came out thin soft stools but a lot more formed than liguid.

If i am impacted could that be it?

Nothing hards come out at all...
Intense i need the loo pain non stop pain esp atound belly button awful back ache and weeing lots
Feel exhausted and very ill right now

See colotectal dr week friday but hes useless

Had impaction befote hospital didnt care

The pains inside move feels like a baby moving...some gas
Also bad hemmoroids and fissure

Thanks

#4 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

have you tried the Peristeen enema system by coloplast?  it is available in the UK and many people have had success with it for emptying their bowels. i've read it's especially helpful for people with other health problems like MS.

Wish someone could translate the language (French ???) -

When will my intestines learn to behave ? excl.png

#5 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

re peristeen:

this link is in english--at least it is on my computer..click on the arrow under "anal irrigation system"

http://www.coloplast.../bladder-bowel/

last i heard--this past spring--peristeen is not available in the usa except for people with neurogenic bowel problems . this is from the e-mail the peristeen rep sent me when i inquired about usa availability:

Thank you for calling us at Coloplast to request information about Peristeen. This is a great product and I hope to be a resource as you determine if you are interested. Talking to your rehab doctor or urologist is the first step to seeing if you are “a good candidate”. The criteria for use is primarily for managing neurogenic bowel conditions like Spina Bifida, spinal cord injury or MS. Also, to ensure success, clinicians determine that there are no “contraindications” for use.

If your rehab doctor does recommend that you pursue it, then we would need to see if you can be supplied with Peristeen. This is a question based on reimbursement. We are early in the process of providing it in the US, so, there are a few limits at this point.. We have just received FDA approval for the full system and are now working to get national coverage in the US. It will take time to obtain a “reimbursement code” which is required in the US for people who have Medicare to get it. People who have Medicaid or private insurance are better positioned for reimbursement at this point. We work closely with suppliers who specialize in helping patients get approval for products that are new in the US.

If your doctor gives you the OK to pursue it, we can check what established training center would be available to you. The staff at the training center do a thorough assessment to ensure that Peristeen would be a good choice. Then, you would need training with a Peristeen nurse. This process takes some time and patience, but, we’ll work together for you. It always helps to speed up the process of getting training in your area if the physician or nurse in your rehab center is getting requests.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#6 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

qeiane---i'm sorry you've tried all those things and nothing has worked.  i really don't know what else to add that may help. i do wish you could find a doc to help you or that the hospital would help you. if it's an impaction then it really does need to be taken care of. if it were me in this situation and the phosphate enemas help then that's what i would do for now, at least to get rid of the impaction.  but i'm not a doctor and cannot recommend if they are safe to do every day, especially for someone with MS.i just don't know...

have you tried the dulcolax laxative pills? they are different than senna. they contain bisacodyl which works differently than senna.  and i'm referring to the laxative pills here, not the stool softner.

i do hope someone else on the board has some suggestions that would help.  and i do hope you can find a doc who will be proactive about helping you. that's the most important thing.

good luck--wishing you all the best.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here