Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
78K views 104 replies 42 participants last post by  MaximilianKohler 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around IBS forums for quite a while, but it is the first time I ever write anything for I thought there was nothing new to add to the arena. Today, I have pertinent information to share.

A quick laconic background.
Age 29, male, Caucasian, not English native, heavy science background, 10 years of IBS-D and fatigue problem, couldn't eat many things, tried about every goddamn special diets on earth (some success with Low Fodmap (gases) and ketogenic diet (gases and Bristol type)).

On July 27 2013 4:00PM, I administered myself a mixed 400ml saline solution (9g NaCL per liter) containing about 75g of human probiotic from a healthy donor. After the proper gymnastic to assure it propagation in the gut, I've been able to keep the solution for 48 hours (it actually reabsorbed) before the next bowel movement.

On July 29 2013 4:00PM, I had my first solid bowel (Bristol type 3) in at least 9 weeks. At this moment, I reintroduced forbidden stuffs in my diet (the dreaded onions, raw vegetables, wheat, tomatoes, etc) in order to adjust my diet to it of my donor.

Since then, I had a movement (Bristol type 2 or 3) about every 2-3 days with an extremely low level of gases (on IBS standard): this haven't happened in about 10 years on a non-ketogenic diet.

It just freaking worked : I'm fixed.

Just like everything else I tried before, I am keeping a detailed log about all this. As of today, I had a massive improvement on my libido, my energy level, my digestion (seems totally fixed) and somehow my skin.

This is some crazy stuff, it might have the potential to radically change the life of many of you. If there is an interest, I will share the detailed (quite gross I must admit) procedure.

I feel like a thousand myself.

TheFreeman
P.S. It is now my belief that my IBS is the direct result of a 4 week antibiotics round I took 12 years ago for a life threatening pneumonia.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

Yesterday, I pushed the experiment even further by eating heavily spicy food (this was not actually planned) and an unreasonable quantity of alcohol (this was planned). Other than the normal symptoms of alcohol abuse, I have no GI problem at all today.

This is absolutely miraculous. I remember very well the last time I drank (about 4 weeks ago, before the experiment): I definitely had a massive flare that lasted about 2 days.

Now is the time for fast food... A&W, here I come!

TheFreeman

#4 ·
Hi there,

I'm still pushing the envelope of this experiment a little further, today I eated Ratatouille for diner : tomato, garlic, onion, eggplant, zucchini, red/yellow peppers bell, celery, carrot, thym, basilic, herbes provensal.

5 weeks ago, this would have knocked the hell out of me, but I am actually quite confident that it will be digested easily by my new bacterial friends.

I'll keep you posted.

Rich : I'll post a detailed procedure soon

A+

TheFreeman

#5 ·
Day 17 : still symptoms free on a normal human diet.

Tonight, I had fajitas for diner (onions (a lot), guacamole, tomato sauce, chicken, salad, bread, cheddar cheese, unknown spices). I had less that 6-7 gases today, which might actually be my lowest daily number in the last 10 years.

All systems are working, digestion is perfect.

TheFreeman

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can't unread this, proceed at your own risk.

Fecal bacteriotherapy Protocol

Objective: Maximize the colonization of the gut with foreign bacteria

Quick explanation: A normal healthy guts contain at least 500 hundred families of bacteria, most from the bacteroide family. This particular family of bacteria cannot survive in the presence of air and are, unless someone eat rocks and contaminated stuffs on the ground, about impossible to obtain as an adult. This pretty much mean that if you had a heavy round of antibiotic after childhood, you're most probably missing those extremely important guys. Figure your gut like a forest where every living thing keeps every other in check: balance is obtained by diversification. If you start removing specific life form, you remove balance and create havoc in the ecosystem.

The cereal mix serve as a growing ground for the new bacteria. To avoid osmosis pressure on the bacteria, a mix of 9g NaCl per liter of water is used. A healthy donor is defined as someone without any kind of illnesses of any kind: you should definitely have them tested (I didn't and couldn't care less at the time). Things can go wrong, proceed in your bathroom. Have faith in nature.

Material

1. Cheap blender (at least 500ml)
  2. Turkey baster (very good quality, serviceable if possible. A cheap baster will make your life miserable)
  3. Dishes glove X 2
  4. Lube
  5. 100 ml cereal mix (wheat, almond, oat, raisin, etc)
  6. Bowl
  7. Sea salt (NacL)
  8. Water 300 ml (without chlorine)
  9. Healthy donor
  10. Bath tub
  11. Soap
  12. Bed
  13. A good dose of despair (optional)

Method

1. Assure that the turkey baster tip is soft, use sand paper if necessary
  2. Push your bed on a wall, make sure it won't move away easily
  3. Rinse the cereal mix in tap water to remove excess sugar
    1. Remove excess water from the cereal mix
  4. Pour 300 ml of mild water in the blender
  5. Add 3g of salt in the blender
  6. Add the cereal mix in the blender
  7. Blend the solution (now called solution A)
  8. Apply lube on the turkey baster tip
  9. Collect healthy human feces (now called The Stuff)
  10. Add about 75 ml of The Stuff in the solution A
  11. Blend the solution (now called solution B )
    1. Bring to smoothie like texture
  12. Go in the bath tub with Solution B and the turkey baster
  13. Entirely fill the turkey baster with solution B (if you don't, you'll get air when you push the solution)
  14. Gently (your preference) insert the turkey baster
  15. Slowly push the liquid inside your rectum
  16. Repeat step 13 to 15 until the blender is empty
  17. Take a quick shower if required

Steps 10 to 16 must be performed in less than 30 minutes : anaerobic bacteria don't like water

Do not wait for too long before getting in the bed, you WILL have an urge if you stay straight up for too long.

1. Proceed to your bed
  2. Lay down on your left side with your back on the wall (this will eliminate the urge) for 20 min
    1. Shake your belly energetically with your hand to allow propagation
  3. While keeping your shoulder in the same area, move your butt up the wall for 20 min (your feet will be at 12 o'clock)
  4. Lay down on your stomach for 20 min
  5. Get up for 20 min

A thousand nations of the bacteria empire descend upon you.

1. Lay on your left side (watch movies) and keep the solution as long as you can
  2. When you no longer feel an urge (recommend more than 2h), go clean the equipment
  3. Enjoy life

NOTES
I used three existing protocols to create my own.
http://www.filedropper.com/fecaltransplantprotocols
http://www.filedropper.com/homeinfusionprotocol
http://www.filedropper.com/self-administeredhomefecaltransplantation

Saline water is easier reabsorb for the intestine and is also easier to keep inside

Chlorine evaporates from water with time : if you use chlorinated tap water, you might want to let it rest on the counter for 24h before the experiment.

Have fun

TheFreeman

#7 ·
#9 ·
W Brian, I can't vouch for the poster, but I can verify that stool transplants are definitely on the level. My gastroenterologist mentioned that early studies were very promising about a year ago, and I've read since that studies have continued to show high success rates.

TheFreeman, I had no idea that this was something you did yourself. I suspect that if I requested more info from my gastroenterologist, he'd do some sort of in-patient or out-patient kind of procedure in his office, he wouldn't send me home with a turkey baster and a recipe. How did you learn about this method?

Thanks,

Rich

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

Day 18 : still doing great, no GI problem at all. I didn't eaten anything particularly violent on IBS standards today. Anyway, I no longer believe it would make any difference on my digestion.

rmiller1985: I read about fecal transplant about 2 years ago, but can't remember where. At the time, I still had other options left to try (I.E Breaking the vicious cycle and low fodmap diet), and I didn't had access to a healthy donor. It has proven extremely difficult to find a donor, and this is definitely not the kind of stuff that you want to shout out loud in the street.

About 3 month ago, my GI problems started to get worse and it pushed my despair level much higher. At this point, I looked back into fecal transplant only to found that the concept was getting a lot of positive press on Pubmed. Many website have also been created lately to promote it.

I got my hands on 2 medical procedures (actually used by physicians) and 1 homemade procedure : I have made my mind around them to create my own. You can access these 3 PDF in the filedropper links of my procedure post.

Most physician would definitely argue against homemade fecal transplant protocol, but then, I didn't wanted to wait until the ~10 years trial required to certify new medical procedure. Can't blame them.

When the medical trials will be over, some smartass will probably develop a full spectrum probiotic suppository that will make the process simpler.

Hope it can help,

TheFreeman

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is very impressive. We have certainly heard about fecal transplants performed by doctors, but not much from the patients perspective.

The FDA in May announced that physicians performing fecal transplants would need to seek an IND (investigational new drug application) before performing the treatment. This was because fecal microbiota met the agency's definition of a biologic and therefore required an IND before they could be tested in humans, the FDA said; however, they have since backed off from this., http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/GeneralGastroenterology/40628

I would caution people to discuss this with their doctor before proceeding. It would be good to have them on side if something goes wrong.

Jeff

#16 ·
Day 25

Everything is still going great. My IBS-D symptoms have all disappeared while my chronic fatigue is slowly improving.

There seems to have been some change to my skin too: it is somehow oilier. This is to be confirmed later, for it is too small of a change.

TheFreeman

#19 ·
I think that each day that you are doing great is big news.

I suppose you are using a turkey baster instead of the more customary enema bag because you have all that cereal in there.

So, the natural question is why all that cereal? Why not just use the traditional blend of feces and saline?

#20 ·
Day 35 : Still OK, although I got the flu

I actually had a prior unsuccessful attempt with an enema : it is just more prone to create a mess (these things clog easily). I definitely don't recommend it.

The cereal provide plenty of carbs and fibers for the new bacteria to grow : if there is going to be a bacteria clash in your guts, then it is probably a good idea to boost the rank of the preferred ones.

P.S. Three days ago, I almost thought I lost it for I had quite a lot of gases, but it turned out to resolve itself. It might be the flu or the unreasonable quantity of homemade yogurt I have eaten (lactose free yogurt that have fermented for 24 h). It did not had any effect on BM.

#22 ·
Day 42 : It is actually getting even better: I am more regular than in the prior days of this experiment.

I must admit that I was getting quite desperate with IBS, so my main criteria were accessibility, a perfect digestion and no known diseases.

It is actually harder to find someone willing to participate than someone with a good overall health. In the end, I figured that my spouse was a good choice since I know her health very well and anyway, if she had diseases, I most probably already share them.

Seriously, all this experiment had an impressive effect on my overall energy/motivation level. Since then, I mysteriously started many new activities (gym, English training, pmp certification, visiting my family more often, biking to the job, etc.). There is something quite deep going on, I suspect my improved digestion have hormonal influences on my behavior.

It's crazy how fast my whole life is adjusting, I almost never think about IBS anymore.

I hope you guys can get better too.

TheFreeman

#23 ·
I'm in tears thinking of your success with FBT.

24 years i have been dealing with IBS-D. As much as this totally grosses me out I feel I have no other option than to try this. It may take me a few weeks to psyche myself up for this, but I can't live like this any longer.

Thank you Freeman for giving me hope
ohmy.png
huh.png
rolleyes.gif

#25 ·
Just dropping by to give credit where credit is due. Your blog was the starting point for me in finding information about the Fecal Transplant process, which resulted in my freedom from IBS-D. I have also started a blog and am making sure to update to ensure that other IBS sufferers have access to information regarding the FMT procedures. I believe that the IBS disorder affects more people in civilized countries than most people realize because doctors continue to prescribe powerful antibiotics to patients without having a standardized and proven method of restoring beneficial bacteria back into the patients after receiving the antibiotics. Probiotics are not enough to restore the lost balance because the variety of bacteria found in human stool is so much more diverse. Scientists are also discussing whether the FMT procedure may help some psychological issues since bacteria in the gut has been proven to play a role in brain function. Poop really may be the cure of the future. Anyways, thanks for your post. IBS-free for over 2 weeks now.

#26 ·
Hi there,

Day 68 : Just got back from a 20 days hicking/camping trip in the American south west and I haven't had a single digestive issue. This is kind of a miracle given the quantity of dried camping food that I eaten. (It did give me some gases from time to time, so it does to everybody else in my group).

For the record, I also drank and eat way to much in an undisclosed Nevada gambling city: it resulted in severe headaches but no GI trouble.

KThejung : I'm glad that you had the balls to try it for yourself, for this is definitely not everyone who will. I share your theory on the antibiotics, for bacterial unbalance is most probably a strong source of what is usually labelled "IBS". Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

flyingv8 : I wish you the best luck with the transplant, I hope it help you as much as it does to me. From what I read on your blog, you are on some serious medication. If any of them are antibiotic, you might want to discontinue them 1 days before doing the transplant. From what I read on other medical protocol, taking antibiotic will definitely sabotage the experience (which is quite logical actually).

PD85 : Truly, I don't know. It was my best guess that the new bacteria would survive best in an environment similar to the one of the donor, but then there's been no double blind controlled experiment about the variable of fecal transplant... Taken to the other extreme, eating only Jell-O for the month following the fecal transplant would definitely limit the growth of the newly introduced bacteria... The diet is probably important.

Have fun

The Freeman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.