Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

ibs-c linked to other ailments

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BentNBroken 
#1 ·
The G I Health Foundation reports that people with ibs-c and chronic constipation are more likely to be depressed and have idigestion..no wonder im on Xanax and pop generic tums like candy.

I follow them on twitter...@GIHFoundation

#2 ·
Any Sugestions as I would be happy if my bowl was Removed from my body the pain is very very Sore I don't know how much longer I'm gona put up with the pain maybe a Colostomy bag would be better. I'm not sure I never suffered with my bowl on till the age of 34 all of a sudden one Night I became all clogged up. I had a Colinoscopy in Beumont Hospital and they left me in a lot of Pain because of the Camera I'm actually Worse now rather than Better when I wake up from a nights sleep well 2 or3 hours Sleep I do be very sore I can't even tip my left side to sore. Can anyone give me some tips much appreciated STE.

#3 ·
I've suffered from IBS with idiopathic constipation for 30 years and about a week ago I stared taking lizness 290 mg and I swear its a miracle! I know it doesn't work for everyone but I'm feeling so much better now! With all the pain and worrying that the pain caused it was like a viscous circle. Constipation = pain = worrying and stress= more constipation= depression. Every damn day was like that. It wears you down. Ask your dr about lizness maybe it will help you too! When my dr first gave me the prescription I was thinking ya right like this will actually work. But now I would climb a mountain to get this stuff if I had too! Hope this helps and I figure its worth a try for anyone who has our problems. Good luck!

#4 ·
I think chronic constipation is often a result of an underactive thyroid. Taking the hormones T3 and T4 should help speed things. It did for me at least, and all my thyroid bloodwork was "normal" before treatment. If your constipation is due to slow bowel transit, then this is really the only way to solve the problem.

#5 ·
I have hyperthyroid. Which makes me super thirsty all the time and I drink about 70 ounces of water a day. It also makes me more "hyper" as my coworkers say lol. There is no reason for my guts to not work right, and the only thing I have noticed for sure is after every csection it got worse. After my 3 csection I lived on xlaxs and ducolax. Never again! I hated that stuff so much.

#6 ·
CodeBrown - there are MANY causes of chronic constipation. I'm very glad that simply correcting your thyroid hormones did the trick for you; cuz dealing with GI issues is one of the worst things to deal with. While I don't doubt that deficiencies and/or imbalances in thyroid hormone(s) are the cause/cure for some like in your cause, there is a lot more to it for some people. I've had chronic constipation for as long as I can remember and my thyroid hormones have always been smack dab in the middle of the normal range. At one time I even took up to 120 mcg of T3/day (for issues not related to my bowel function) and it had no affect whatsoever on my constipation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.