Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Feeling very poorly, could I have IBS or another bowel problem?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  crankypaws 
#1 ·
I went to see a Nurse at the Doctors today ( can never see a Doctor on the same day as they are always booked up) and took a Urine Sample as I have been getting some symptoms and feeling under the weather and was unsure what part of my body was the cause. No stinging when I wee, but a drawing sensation into my groin. I have had terrible bloating and have sometimes little colicky pains in my left hand side. There is a lot of movement in my bowel area, which seems to move around to my left hand side under my rib and back. The worst thing is the feeling of bloating and feeling unwell. The Nurse checked my urine, by looking at a colour identity card, and said I did not have any urine infection. I don't have diarrhea, but sometimes, I feel I want to empty my bowels, but never have an urgent feeling to visit the Toilet.

What I fear more than anything is the tests that one hears about, that sometime never really give an answer. Having read about all the Bowel problems on this very helpful web site, I want to know what can be the cause of my symptoms, and does anyone else have them?

At the moment I am taking Antibiotics called 'Nitrofurantoin' for three days, but if I have a Bowel problem, such as inflammation, these will not be any use will they? I know I suffer from Anxiety and stress does affect me, but any suggestions what I should look out for so I can tell my GP what I think is happening would be most welcome. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why are you on antibiotics if you do not have any infections?

Antibiotics can upset the gut flora and that can lead to symptoms.

Everyone's gut does have movement sensations, usually we just are not aware of them, but if you get anxious about them you can become a lot more aware of them.

Is the bloating constant and getting worse over time without any let up? If so you may need to see the OB-GYN as that is usually an ovary issue (like a cyst) than a bowel issue.

You are not mentioning any symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease (like bloody diarrhea) so I wouldn't assume you must have that and not mild IBS.

If the bloating tends to come and go you could see if a low fodmap diet (low in gassy foods even gassy foods most people don't think of as gassy) helps. If the bloating is right after you eat you might try a digestive enzyme supplement with pancreatin in it. That sometimes reduces that bloating from eating.

#3 ·
Kath has some great suggestions and thoughts. Once you have some of the meds/diet sorted, you may want to ask your GP about the stress and anxiety part of things as the brain-gut connection is a big part of IBS and can sometimes lead to continued symptoms. This approach helped me out after years of meds not working and suffering. Over in the UK where you are, hypnotherapy is very helpful - one protocol is offered as in-home use program, and has been used successfully for years - even at St. Mark's in London. Take a peek at my journey - happy to help with any questions. :)

#5 ·
Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. I've had similar symptoms in the last five days including bad bloating and the general feeling unwell, all part and parcel of the body being out of whack! Anxiety over our symptoms can make us panic, trigger off more symptoms. For me, things are starting to improve since I followed a diet eating bland foods in the last five days... andrealee is right - a food/bathroom diary will help you see some kind of pattern that will give docs a better idea of your symptoms. Best of luck with your progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.