5 replies to this topic

#1 ajayn0324

ajayn0324

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:18 PM

Advertisement
Hello, I am new to this board. I'm pretty sure I have a mild case of IBS. My question is does this disease progress or get worse as time goes on? Thank you for your replies!

Advertisement

#2 Jack74

Jack74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:28 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but my IBS-D seems to get a little worse every year. I used to have problems a few times a month. Then it became a few times a week. Now it is about 6-7 days a week. Posted Image

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,803 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:29 PM

Your mileage may vary....It is not typically progressive getting worse and worse or developing into something else.Some people get better over time...some people, especially after the types of environmental exposures that trigger IBS to start with (like GI infections), get worse...others stay the same for very long periods of time.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:12 PM

Mine has actually improved incredibly viewing it on a day-to-day basis as long as I watch what I eat. All in all though I would say it fluctuates. Nothing could ever compare to the pain I had when I was first diagnosed. It was horrible. But there have been days it was a little worse than others, as I don't always have the willpower to stay away form all forms of dairy and soy. They are in everything. Sometimes you just need a little chocolate, or ice cream or a cup of coffee that tastes good (with REAL milk that is...mmm) rather than the liquid cardboard they call Rice Milk. Bleh!

#5 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:46 PM

It doesn't progress as a disease per se as its a functional disorder, but becomes harder to deal with mentally I believe.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#6 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:10 PM

Diseases are only functional disorders until the causal basis is discovered. Then it is no longer functional. So called "IBS" is not different from any other "functional disease or syndrome"...this is a temporary, transient period in the lack-of0understanding of the symptoms. It's only a functional disorder until you discover a pathogenesis...symptom based diagnosed defines conditions as functional until the underlying disease is discovered, then it is the disease. Since pathogenesis for supopulations of so called IBS are beginning to emerge from research, old dogma like "not progressive" (among others) have to be and will be discarded...along with other fairy tales born of mysteries when they no longer exist. As KM suggests, there are populations of people with symptoms which are named for the present under the IBS umbrella diagnosis, whose symptoms are progressive and do worsen over time. I ws in that group and have ahd lots and lots of company which ran counter to "conventional wisdom" or "mainstream thinking".... Posted Image There are others who are stable, who wax and wane, and whose symptoms recede over time. It is not a homogeneous population therefore the old homogeneous answers are slowly being discarded as they are seen to conflict with reality....something to ponder if one is unable to grasp the [perspective] of seeking and isolating the causal basis for a syndrome.... _____________________________________�Considerable confusion is now arising over the relationship between food intolerance and the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Although the name has been hallowed by long usage, IBS is not a distinct entity but merely a collection of disorders which are characterized by abdominal symptoms but no obvious organic pathology. G.W. Thompson forecast in 1985: �the IBS is organic; that is all sufferers will eventually be found to have measurable, unique pathologic defects.� When that happy day arrives, the term �IBS� will no longer be used, and each patient will receive a more precise diagnosis. Until then it is sufficient to appreciate that food intolerance represents an important proportion of the conditions which together make up IBS.�John Hunter, MD, FCRPDirector or Gastroenterology and Consultant PhysicianAddenbrooke�s HospitalCambridge, United KingdomFrom�Food Allergy and Food Intolerance� Second Edition 2002J. Brostoff, MDS. Challacombe, MDSaunders _______________________________Like 'IRDS' used to Be 'IRDS' (I standing for Idiopathatic) when science could not understand the physiologic basis for the symptoms...when they discovered it the first thing to disappear was the use of the word "idiopathic".MNL
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here