2 replies to this topic

#1 Ethana

Ethana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2001 - 11:43 PM

Advertisement
Barium enema results indicated I had a "loopy" colon. Anyone ever heard of that and, if so, what in the world does it mean? I am IBS-C, by the way. Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Fay

Fay

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 07:58 AM

Hi Ethana,My barium-enema results were : a long and tortuous large bowel, and I understand tortuous means with a lot of loops, the GI-dr. wrote that having that could cause IBS-problems as D or C (I'm IBS-D), but that there was nothing to worry about. There are others here who have had these results, but sofar I have seen no answer to the why and how of it. If there are more loops maybe that slows down the motility in case of C, if there are more loops, more lenght of the bowel, maybe that means more gut-cells to get irritated in case of D, but I'm only guessing here.I know it's frustrating, you're having all these tests, and you get no real answers, you want results, and a cure, but there doesn't seem to be one clear-cut solution yet. My GI-dr. doesn't want to do anymore tests, so I am trying out the Caltrate combined with a low-carbs diet,it does make a change but it's too soon to say anything definite about it, but again, I am IBS-D.Hope you find something to help you, this BBis certainly the place to keep looking at,Fay

#3 alihawk

alihawk

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2001 - 12:47 PM

Hi I too was diagnosed with a loopy colon which caused me to have severe C. My loopy colon was only in my sigmoid area it did not extend throughout. So after many tests and about 4 years later my sigmoid colon was still the only part that was loopy so we took it out. Since then things have been pretty good. Before surgery I would only go once a month or I would be taking half a box of laxatives to get things going. Now if I take anything at all it's some Kondrmel and I am also doing the hypno therapy tapes.Best of luck to you Alison

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here