Can Only Go at Work or when Anxious - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can Only Go at Work or when Anxious

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tugweltp

tugweltp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

Advertisement

Hey people,

I am new on the site and wanted to know if anyone has similar symptoms/experiences as me.  I am 27 and got IBS-C a little over a year ago.  I can only "go" while at work or when I get anxious.  Every day I am at work I can "go" because at some point during the day I get a little anxious or have a pang of anxiety.  On the weekends, absolutley no movement whatsoever and I have to medicate with milk of magnesia.  If I don't, I get bloated and feel depressed.  Any similar experiences?  Any tips for me if you have had a similar experience?  Likewise, I'm happy to talk with anyone if I can help. 

#2 Dreamcatcher32

Dreamcatcher32

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

I have a similar issue and GI doctors won't necessarily touch it. I think it's behavioral, something you ned to see a therapist about. Thought here may be other factors involved. The other factor in my case is Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. Look into this:

Look this up: 

As for being anxious - this tends to rev up the nervous system, which can put stress on the bowels and then you have a bowel movement. It's very typical. I think you're nervous and need to realize though not having a BM is quite uncomfortable, it will not harm you. I would suggest not taking MOM unless you're on day 2 or 3 and haven't gone. Try some Bluebonnet liquid magnesium citrate on the weekends to get things moving a little better. Then you might not need MOM.

#3 tugweltp

tugweltp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, I had a colonoscopy, everything turned out healthy and the GI just told me to take MOM because I told him it worked, but I think he just kind of wrote me off (i.e. didn't spend much time helping me).  I agree in that its something behavioral or possibly mental.  Actually, I neglected to mention that it all started my final year in law school slightly before i took the bar examination; I am thinking that it was stress-induced, but it just never went away.  Perhaps something mentally traumatic.  Simply put, I don't think there is anything physically wrong, its just that my brain is not sending the "go" signal.  If I'm not anxious...no movement.  And I can't re-create a feeling of anxiousnesss, it just has to happen. 

I wonder what a therapist would say if he or she heard my problem.  Anyone else seen a mental health professional for help with IBS-C?

As far as the bluebonnet liquid magnesium citrate, why do you think I should take that instaed of MOM?  Just curious. 

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here