Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Hyoscyamine for IBS-C?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Nojokeibs 
#1 ·
Doc's assistant gave me hyoscyamine to try for my IBS-C. I just picked it up and haven't tried it due to the warnings of weirdness for side effects it potentially comes with.

I know when I get really constipated my gut feels it's tightened and incapable of relaxing, which I would guess is a spasm? Everything I see for this particular prescript though shows it slows the colon down? And it helps with IBS-D? Did I just get prescribed an IBS-D med?

#2 ·
I was prescribed baclofen for an unrelated reason (muscle stiffness), and it helps with constipation. Since you also have an antispasmodic there, I'd say it's possible that it will help you. Only one way to tell... I say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Reactions: un800
#4 ·
I tried two, so far. The first one worked and the second one... didn't. I mean the second one reduced the feeling of stress in my bowel. They make me a little loopy for the first 15 minutes and then it passes. I'll keep posting my results in this thread for anyone wondering about this drug and IBS-C.

Good luck to you Kristi! Let me know how Bentyl works for you?

#6 ·
I'm gonna update this and say there's like a 15-20% off chance this drug works for me. I definitely think it's better to take it before you eat. Like maybe 30 minutes before? But this kind of eating protocol I do not get in line with. It doesn't really do much after the fact. I've taken up to two and I may get a minimum gurgle as I am able to get a little gas out. That's generally it, though. It's still not as amazing as Pepogest. I won't be getting a refill of this once I'm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.