#1 laney_001

laney_001

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 11:56 PM

Advertisement
My mom has Rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease that attacks the joints. Well, she saw on a news special (unfortunately she forgets which one or I would have investigated it myself) that researchers are wondering if there isn't a correlation between IBS and autoimmune diseases. I am a medical student and am learning all about genetics and how many different genes can be related to a single disease causing seemingly unrelated effects or producing part of the effect of a disease without producing the whole symptom (in other words, there is SO MUCH science DOESN'T KNOW about genetics). So, what I am wondering, is if any of you out there HAVE an autoimmune disease or if you are related to anyone with one. This could be a gold mine if we were to figure anything out. It's worth checking, anyway....

Advertisement

#2 ibs-sufferer

ibs-sufferer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 12:23 AM

Pardon my ignorance, what are autoimmune diseases?

#3 M&M

M&M

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 12:30 AM

well i don't know if this will help you, but here i go. lol i have IBS, and i have never been diagnosed, BUT after all the reading i have done i feel i have MANY of the symptoms of fibromyaligia and i also have TMJ. i also have low blood pressure (my standing blood pressure is 90/60) and i tend to pass out when i am worn out or experiencing pain from my IBS. i think that about covers it for now. my mom also has TMJ. i wish you the best on this study you are trying to do, i feel like you are DEFINITELY on the right track, a lot of these diseases ARE related to IBS. people with IBS can tell you this, but we cannot tell you why. i also have endometriosis. i am also 23 just to let you know! post back if you need more info. =)
ME patient for the past 9 years

Illness is not something to feel ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom, and it opens the way to happiness. Through illness, human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understand its value and dignity, and strive to lead more fulfilling lives. ~ Daisaku Ikeda

In life, it's not the bad things we do that hurt us, it's the good things we don't do. ~ Shmuley Boteach

#4 laney_001

laney_001

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:14 AM

An autoimmune disease is one where your body develops antibodies against itself. A definition in my medical dictionary is 'any disorder in which loss of function or destruction of normal tissue arises from immune responses to the body's own tissues'. For example, in Rheumatoid Arthritis, your body destroys connective tissue in your joints. Other autoimmune diseases are systemic lupus, thyroiditis, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis etc....Ask your family. You may find out something interesting. The whole point of this is to somehow find a way to encourage research in this direction and maybe find some real help for us who suffer with this ANNOYING problem.

#5 chelsea

chelsea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 03:31 AM

I actually have asthma and allergies, although I don't think it's an autoimmune problem, but they are a result of an overreactive immune system, aren't they? I was reading a number of different posts about the possible correlation between IBS and asthma, as both the GI tract and respiratory tract have similar visceral or mucosal linings, and that they both can become inflammed in the same way. I know that when my asthma or allergies are flared up, my gut and stomach are wrenching with cramping and gas and sometimes constipation. It feels like someone has just punched me in the stomach and has knocked the wind out of me. Have you read this on the research and abstract forum? The study is quite interesting. What do you think?

#6 T423

T423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2002 - 12:25 PM

Dear Laney,Your post regarding a connection between autoimmune diseases and irritable bowel-constipation interested me as, my new oncologist (breast ca 7/19/01) whom I just saw 1/24 is wondering if many of the innumerable symptoms I've experienced over the last couple of years including GI dysmotility is related to an autoimmune disease or connective tissue disease/disorder. So, he drew a lot of blood and is running a lot of tests. I wonder.....-Tanya

#7 atrain

atrain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 January 2002 - 12:54 AM

my sister also has IBS-C (like me), she also has arthritis in her knees, is that an autoimmune diesease?? not sure, thought i'd write it anyways

#8 Belladonna

Belladonna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 04:38 PM

Hi- I am obviously a "joey" on this board. Just spent the weekend in the hospital with debilitating pain from newly diagnosed IBS (C-type.) I do have a stressful job, but I also had a thyroidectomy 2.5 years ago due to a tumor. I suffer from hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Constipation is a symptom of hypothyroidism. It is an interesting connection as the thyroid is the regulator of the body and IBS seems to be related to serotonin uptake. Thanks for your curiosity.

#9 alihawk

alihawk

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 04:26 PM

HiAutoimmune diseses are definatley connected to IBS. I have had IBS C for 7 years and now I am being worked for Hashimotos thyroiditis and endometriosis, oth auto immune disease. Also now all auto immune disease are genetically linked. I will be interested to find out my thyroid results. It would be wonderful to finally have an answer after all these years. Alison

#10 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 02:48 AM

quote:
including GI dysmotility
How do you know have that?
quote:
Autoimmune diseses are definatley connected to IBS
No, they are not.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#11 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 09:41 AM

comment:1. Patients with asthma appear to be about 30% more likely than non-asthmatics to develop IBS, esp. d-predominant or cyclic d&c IBS. The gut immune system, esp. the mucosal system, are very similar, and there is a good chance that dysfunction which stimulates mast cells in the lungs will be accompanied by a similar effect on the gut wall. Some people with asthm are predisposed to gut immunocyte hypersensitivity as well as "lung" hypersensitivity. Sometimes this is due to actual allergy (IgE antibodies formed specifically to a food, or an inhalant allergy which causes a cross-reaction with certain foods)...this is failry well understood and can be rooted out by a patient allergist who understands and accepts the limitations of skin-testing, RAST and ELISA testing for IgE/IgG[x], and how to interpet them clinically. IBS-d types have shown a very high short term response rate to treatment with mast cell stabilizers like cromolyn sodium, or anti-prostaglandins...sadly tachyphylaxis makes CS treatment long term not efficicacious.IBS victims with asthma have a much higher likelihood of getting a good response to very basic, but well executed, dietary intake logging, symptom logging, and diet modification due to the prevalence of actaul allergic reaction or pseudollergic reactions in this subpopulation.2. IBS-d, and cyclic IBS, in the absence of pathogen positive stool cultures, is not an uncommon COMORBIDITY with autoimmune dysfunction, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohns, fibromyalgia etc. The common ground(s) in some cases are the prevalence of immune complexes, sometimes not. Their formation in the plasma secondary to altered permeability which results from an aberrant lymphocyte responsne in the small bowel plays a role in some. There are several unique subpopulations. BAsically, though, it is more related to a cell-mediated aberration which coexists with the autoimmune dysfunction, not an IgE mediated allergic reaction. More and more evidence is slowly emerging about the role of aberrations in lymphocyte function in various symptom sets.There is a relationship between them as comorbid conditions, and anything which provokes the t-cell reactionm in the small bowel, as has been recently isolated in patients showing IBS symptoms, positive oral challenge inflammtory response to various food classes, but NO clinical allergy, does not alter the autoimmune mechanisms per se, but it results in the release of MORE proinflammtory mediators, first in the small bowel, thus into the blood vessels and circulation where they can affect other areas of the body including worsening joint inflammtion and muscle pain as well (arthralgia), but certain mediators liberated may provoke second-tier and third-tier responses among circulating immunocytes which are activated by mechanisms which can be upregulated by certain mediators released in the primary reaction. This cascade effect also becomes self-perpetuating when a person is repeatedly exposed to the provocation..esp. if it is something included in their routine daily diet.This is just beginning to dawn on allergists after many years of demonstration of probablity by immunologists who study this, and the creation of new methods which can isolate and reproduce these cell mediated reactions in vitro, as well as methods of isolating the small bowel and provoking them in vivo are giving rise to new visualizations of these other mechanisms.It has indeed ben assumed for many years that the mechansism related to these apparent comorbidities were not related, but as it becomes clearer that there are mechanisms which are not as well understood as everyone thought, this view may be revised in the near future.In the meantime, what is important to the patient is that persons suffering autoimmune conditions do have a higher risk than the general population of suffering other immune dysfunctions, and that when these are triggered they ADD their symptomology atop the underlying symptomomology and worsen the symptoms. Many of these, and what triggers them, can be isolated and removed, thus reducing the total symptomology and use of medications, such as NSAIDS, which can lead to a worsening of IBS symptoms if used long term.I recommend the following reading to better understand the subject, pending a new book which is ine diting and which is more current which should be out by the end of the year....“FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT”, Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings’ College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#12 dhove

dhove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 10:47 AM

My mother also has RA, she has had it since she was 50. I am now 47, and have had symptoms of IBS for several years, but have also had some symptoms of RA, and take vioxx daily.

#13 Anke

Anke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 07:16 AM

yes, I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease as well...I also have really dry eyes (no more tear producing and I cannot tolerate any artifial tears as well), dry nose and dry mouth, which, according to my doctor is typical for an auto imune disease....I've won the lotery, I guess... Posted Image

#14 Krystyn

Krystyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 01:39 PM

I was just reading through the archives, and thought I would reply to this post in case it would be helpful to Laney. I have uveitis and ankylosing spondylitis (both juvenile onset, uveitis at 7, AS at 12, I am 22 now). I have not been diagnosed IBS formally, but it is what we suspect. I take Methotrexate for my uveitis, and it helped my IBS sx at first, now they are just different than they were before the medication. Any other questions, please ask.Probably the more likely story is that I have a form of IBD - aren't eyes, gut and spine the "classic triad"?Kristin

#15 Audrey F

Audrey F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 06:04 PM

I don't know if there is a confirmed connection but funny how I was diagnosed with both IBS -D and LUPUS (autoimmune disease) right about the same time. 3 months ago I stopped eating red meat, dairy, fat foods, both my IBS-D and my LUPUS have improved. I also take methatrexate, folic acid, and vioxx. I've been able to reduce my methatrexate from .8cc to .7cc without having any problems. I try to keep a positive attitude and know that tomorrow is another day. Good luck to you all. If anyone has LUPUS please reply and let me know. Thanks Posted Image
ALF

#16 Krystyn

Krystyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 11:54 PM

Hi Audrey,I don't have lupus but take Methotrexate (20 mg/week by injection - not sure what that is in cc's). Did you notice a change in your IBS symptoms when you started MTX? (I have IBS-C/D)Kristin

#17 DonnaDB

DonnaDB

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 12:29 AM

Yep, I have IBS-C/Crohn's Disease (strange combo huh?). The C overtakes the D bigtime!!! Anyway, also have FM. Autoimmune diseases run in my family (Sjogrens syndrome).

#18 Aquarius

Aquarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 01:13 AM

Yes, I too have other autoimmune diseases. I have IBS-C, Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism), Interstitial Cystitis (IC), and lots of environmental allergies. I am convinced that they are all related. I read an article (wish I could remember where) that said that some researchers think that IBS and IC are just connective tissue manifestations of some as yet undetected systemic autoimmune disease.Perhaps some day Laney will discover a cause and cure Posted Image .

#19 Audrey F

Audrey F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 07:51 PM

Kristin - I've been on Methotrexate for about a year. Yes I've had improvement with my Lups with 1 big flare Posted Image and had a small decrease in my D (except the day after the injection when I don't leave the house until I go as it usually gives me the big D) Posted Image . I use to take it in pill form but switched to self-injections (easier on the tummy)1x a week with what I think is .8cc I am not sure how that relates to mg. I have run into a problem with mouth sores from the methatrexate but have been able to lesson them with increasing my folic acid 2 days before and after my injection. What are you taking it for and how has it affected you? It is a heavy duty med with lots of possible side effects and scares me. I would love to get off of it. Thats why I've reduced my dose from .8 to .7 tomorrow I am going to try .6 Hope to hear from you. Have a good day. Posted Image
ALF

#20 Krystyn

Krystyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 08:33 PM

Hi Audrey! I have been on MTX for a year in August. I was on the pills first too but I was vomiting all the time, the injections have helped that. I get mouth sores too, and hair loss - do you take folic acid? I take MTX for severe uveitis (inflammation in the eye), because the usual treatment did not work for me, and caused a lot of structural damage to my eyes. That drug was steroids (drops, pills, injections). No matter how scary MTX is, I try to keep in mind that it is a LOT better than long-term steroids. I am also tired a lot, but I think that's partially because I now have a form of anemia (not low iron), I can't remember the name of it. It's a struggle to function on MTX for me, but I know a lot of people don't have these side effects. It's not working as well as we had hoped for my eyes so I will probably start another agent soon, and MTX is the nicest one in terms of side effects... I am a little nervous!Is MTX helping your lupus? Are you tapering with your doctor's help?Kristin

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here