Do you think they will ever find a cure for IBS

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeni24_*

Guest_Jeni24_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2001 - 11:58 PM

Advertisement
Do you think they will ever find a cure and do you think it will be soon. If anybody has any info. I would be interested in reading. Hopefully it will bring my hopes up!

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 12:30 AM

I think we are well on the way to finding treatments that work for IBS. There are some pretty good ones now, but I think we will find many more that are specifically for IBS in the next few years.I'm hoping that the next decade will see a specific test for IBS that will greatly help in the differential diagnosis.There is a lot more known now about how the Enteric Nervous System controlls the digestive process and as we learn more about that, that will allow the development of tests and treatments.As with other chronic illnesses, I don't know that there will ever be a thing you take for a week or two and the IBS is gone forever.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 12:36 AM

Jeni, this is tough to answer. I did ask a top doctor this recently who is heavily invovled in research and he did not think they would ever cure it. That is a hard reality. He did say that in the future people would be able to manage it better hopefully to the point of it not disrupting our life's. It seems to me that it is worth holding onto the idea that they may cure it in the future. However, it is also a reality that they may not be able to and they certainly can't now.Hopefully with the giant strides they are taking in understanding the human body as well as neurogastronenterology we could be surprized and I personally hold onto that hope in my thoughts.The ticket at the moment is to be able to manage your own symptoms and hope for the best.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#4 Mannie

Mannie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 12:44 AM

Now that statics are showing 25% of the population has IBS, I think you will see an increase in medications for treating it. Drug companies only research things that are profitable, and if 25% of the population will buy a drug, I'd call that profitable. Ever noticed how frequent Immodium ads are now, and how they are aimed directly at IBSers?!

#5 Bud

Bud

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 01:48 AM

I believe very strongly that IBS is not one thing, but many things. The commonality of these many IBS things is that they are all unknown or, if you will, undiagnosed disorders of the intestinal tract. Look at our symptoms. They are so varied. Look at the many approaches to diagnosis. From the one visit to the GP with the diagnosis being IBS to running the gamut of testing with nothing organic being found. Look at the many approaches to cure or improvement that have worked for some and not helped others. If we are diagnosed with IBS, we are not all alike. The diagnosis of IBS simply means that they cannot find anything wrong. They know you have a problem, but they don't know what it is so they've given it a name that serves or empowers them to be informed and acknowledges that something's wrong when in reality, they don't know what.My wife's diagnosed with microscopic colitis (MC) and IBS. So what's MC. It's inflammation of the intestine. Okay, we have an official, organic diagnosis. Great ... Right? Nope! It merely means they've found inflammation. They don't know what causes it or how to cure it. To me they just classified it as another form of IBS.It is sad that we live in a society that has the technology to take us into space or to the deepest depths of the ocean, yet it can't fix a meager intestinal disorder. Why? It's not clear to me other than it's an issue of priorities. It surprises me that with the millions who are diagnosed with IBS worldwide, of those, I think the statistic is that 30% have symptoms that are severe enough to be classify those as legally disabled, and that means that millions are in that condition. Yet, next time you sit next to someone, ask them if they know what IBS is. Bet you they don't. A bazillion people, over a zillion years suffering from it, most undiagnosed, yet the best kept secret in town. What's wrong with this picture? I hate this illness.I have a chip on my shoulder about this terrible illness as it's been the greatest challenge my wife and I, in our 38 years, have faced. I'm disgusted with, or maybe it would be more appropriate to say disappointed with, the medical profession and the HMOs and all the other parties we deal with when it comes to their approach to and/or opinion of IBS. Don't misunderstand. I know there are many who are working hard to find ways of helping us. It's just that it's not enough, soon enough.Thanks for letting me vent. I hope the Erics, Fluxs, Mikes, Wanderingstars, Kmottus and the many others will respond to this post. I am curious what will be said.Thanks again. Whoops, forgot to respond to the original thread question. Will there be a cure? I believe there are already some and that more will surface with time and research. But,I believe there will never be a cure for all.[This message has been edited by Bud (edited 01-18-2001).][This message has been edited by Bud (edited 01-19-2001).]

#6 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 03:56 AM

quote:
I hope the Erics, Fluxs, Mikes, Wanderingstars, Kuttos (can't remember her name) and the many others wil
Since you asked...I believe that at some point humans (Martian illnesses have already been cured by Mike's LEAP ) will be completely from freed from sickness. Trauma from accidents and violence will still be around, but diseases will be history. Your great great great great grandkids will have tough time understanding that people used to get sick. Eventually technology will become integrated with biology at a molecular level and it will be essentially impossible for anything to go wrong. Actually, I even take back what I said about trauma and violence since it will be possible to copy your consciousness like you would copy a computer file into a clone of your body, so even if your original body gets run over by a truck, you could just go on forever.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 01-19-2001).]
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#7 Guest_RopesEnd_*

Guest_RopesEnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2001 - 12:24 PM

Hi Jeni-Well, the first step to finding a cure is finding a cause. Currently the omnibus label of IBS isn't going to get to a solution fast, however, I do think they are making progress.See: http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/001213/n11406742.html If you haven't already.Not saying that the bacteria-link is the cause, but it may be one of many causes, which will lead to one of many cures/treatments.Hope I cheered you up a little bit? RopesOops..try this link: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000214.html Jeff - the above link on the homepage has expired, you might want to re-direct it.[This message has been edited by RopesEnd (edited 01-19-2001).]

#8 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 01:02 PM

I do think a cure will be found, but not in our lifetime. IBS has only recently been recognized as a disease or disorder, rather than a figment of our "imaginations". Even the term "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" is relatively new over the past few years. Symptoms vary so much among sufferers, that one simple "cure-all" is an impossibility. Glaxco-Wellcome was on the right track for the "D" type IBS with Lotronex and hopefully they will continue experimenting and come up with a similar drug without the side effect. And Novartis is getting ready to launch Zelmac (hopefully) for the C-Types. Whether Zelmac is a success or not..the good news is that the pharmaceutical companies ARE working on the problem, which is more than we could say 5 years ago.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#9 Krissy

Krissy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 01:25 PM

I agree with Rose.But my honest opinion is there is no such thing! i'm so sick of being told,this is from IBS,and that,really,enough! something is causing these symptoms,and the cheap label the drs put on the symptoms is pathetic,while we all conitnue to suffer,and all of these drug companies are racking in the money,i have seen very few people get well,they may be covering their symptoms,but the problem remains. I am on another quest,LOL and i hope to get better,there has to be a reason for all of this,i don't have it,but i know there is one,i don't think the being shoved into 30 tests that come up neg. and being told you have IBS is the answer,i will not stop until i know what the hell this is.I will add,i don't think any CDs,pills,acupuncture,will cure it either,they help,but cannot be labeled as cures. Krissy
"Fear And Pain Fade,When Faith And Hope Grow"

#10 moms777

moms777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 01:26 PM

Yes, I do think that they will find a cure, but it probably won't be anytime soon. At least they are doing more now for IBS than they were say, twenty years ago. So, I am hopeful, that one day, I'll be better.

#11 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 02:01 PM

Yes.Within several years it will be clear what the cause of each symptom set is that is/are lumped together as so-called IBS...an idiopathic group of overlapping symptoms sets that are multicausal. So the causes will be identified and then what is either prophylactic or remedial for each cause can then be isolated. Therefore "IBS" will dissapppear since it is nothing more than a name attached to what Appear to be idiopahtic symptom sets but are actually not.And I beleive this outcome will not be achieved here but in Europe. Most if not all the info is already there, but it is like crumbs on the kitchen table...somewhere in there are several loaves, and they are slowly being assembled.Have a DFDAk! AK-AK! AKAKAK.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 01-19-2001).]
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#12 Guest_Charles_*

Guest_Charles_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2001 - 02:18 PM

Your might be interested in this post: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000098.html

#13 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 02:37 PM

Charles, your orignial post was posted in August. May I ask how the study is going? And what are the ingredients in the supplement?------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#14 Guest_ANNE2398_*

Guest_ANNE2398_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2001 - 03:11 PM

No

#15 linr

linr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 03:28 PM

I agree with much of what Bud says. I am so tired of living with this . Or trying to. I am now heading towards 50 and it is so sad to think of all those years of my youth were spent being sick or in pain or just having to stay home and missing out on so much instead of really living and actually having fun. After almost 30 years I still don't know what triggers my attacks of D and neither do any of the doctors I have seen. And after all that time even the people I've known forever still don't understand. They get mad if we're out and I don't eat.Sorry,but I am not going to force myself to eat and be sick to make others comfortable. I have to turn down offers to go to dinner and the theatre because it is too inconvenient for them to have dinner after. It upsets me the most because it isn't fair to my husband. I try to go out whenever I can but we just never know if it is going to be a good day or bad.I know things couold be worse and many people are a lot sicker but I sure hope they find a cure one day. I pray for it every day but I guess I won't be holding my breath for it to happen any time soon.

#16 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 05:13 PM

LINR:On my word as a gentleman and as the Martian Ambassador to Earth, you do not have to live like this. There are solutions and the etiology of what you experienced has been observed and can be dealt with. It just has not been done in the U.S. but "over the pond".I encourage you to not consider what I say, but what the top expert in this field of how food and chemicals alter your bodies function and why says. Then when you understand it you will feel more in control of your body. I know. I felt like it betrayed me for more than 30 years.Professor Brostoffs book for patients on this subject is the best way to start to learn about methods you can also do on your own, if you are determined, to get significant improvement in your symptoms and have a semblance of a normal life. Testing is a shortcut, but it costs. There are specific strategies you can do on your own that work, though. They have to be tailored to the realities of this problem, not follow food allergy protocols. This is the biggest error people make...docs and patients alike.Here is the Amazon link to the booK: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Take a look at it. In fact, I'll tell you what...I feel so bad for you reading your post becasue I know EXACTLY what your life is like. If you spend the $20 on Dr. Brostoffs Book and don't feel after you read it that it is of help to you, email me personally and I will buy your copy off you and give it a patient.That's how much I beleive you can benefit from what the immunologists and allergists I work with have discovered on their/our Planet. Actually, Flux is just a little confused...it is not Mars this work comes from but Europe. However, since he believes the Earth is flat, too, when this stuff comes over the horizon from out of his view it is only natural to assume (Ak!AKAK! oops) it is from Mars.Seriously, I mean it. You get the book and read it and if you don't want it email me and I will buy it off you.And I receive no consideration, commission, or anything of any kind for recommending Brostoff and his books to people.Be better OK?Ak AK!MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#17 linr

linr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 08:33 PM

Mike: Thanks so much for caring.And for a complete stranger yet! Although I may never be cured of this hideous 'syndrome' I no longer feel like some kind of freak or that I am the only one who has this because thanks to all the great people who come to this board I push myself a little bit farther every day. I wouldn't wish this on anyone (well,almost) but I am glad that I am not alone. I now plan to spend my energy on getting well. I will order the book soon. Thanks again Mike and everyone else. ~ L ~

#18 LUCIA

LUCIA

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 January 2001 - 11:21 PM

HI JENI. I do believe that is a cure coming soon. I think that at the present time there are drug companies and hospital researchers working as fast as thet can to be first in solving this medical problem. You said you wanted to read more. see www.csmc.edu then click on research and education, type in irritable bowel sysndrome. Cedar sinai Health System has several doctors doing research . Some members will be reporting their experiences with their particpation in theses studies.. IBS has been identified as dysfunction of motility. That gives me HOPE.------------------

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here