#1 CookieD

CookieD

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:16 AM

Advertisement
I know this may be obvious to some of you and has maybe been asked already so sorry but what actually causes gas to be trapped? is it the shape of the intestine or a food blockage?

Advertisement

#2 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 10:39 AM

So far only two studies have demonstrated that gas can get "held up" in the gut in IBS persons. These studies didn't look at the mechanism and unfortunately there is no technology that can easily track gas motion in the intestine at present.At the same time, we know there are two basic contractions in the gut: segmentation (mixing) and peristalsis (propulsion). An increase in segmentation can limit diarrhea and cause constipation just as a decrease in peristalsis can. So even knowing what is happening to produce constipation can be complicated.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#3 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 12:27 PM

My GI doctor (as well as the many doctors in my family) have all explained to me that the trapped gas which is so common in IBS patients is caused by the spasms in the intestines. That is why anti-cholinergic drugs (also known as anti-spasmodics) such as Librax, Bentyl, and Levsin are so effective in treating the trapped gas. These medications relax the spasms, causing the gas to be able to be expelled.Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#4 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 01:15 PM

quote:
is caused by the spasms in the intestines
The only problem with this explanation is that healthy people also get these same "spasms".
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#5 sooz

sooz

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:42 PM

I am not sure what causes gas to get trapped, but my Mother used to have this problem (as do I), but since she had part of her bowel removed, she doesn't have the problem any more.I think that maybe the shape (and more likely the length) of the bowel may be the problem in a lot of cases.Sue

#6 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 03:19 PM

My board-certified GI explained to me that IBS is a disorder of the function of the intestinal muscles, which may contract too forcefully or weakly, too slowly or rapidly in IBS patients. And when this happens, gas can get trapped. That's why anti-cholinergic works so well on trapped gas. This medicine relaxes the seized-up smooth muscle, allowing the gas to be expelled (farted out). Before I was properly diagnosed by a board-certified GI who performed xrays, I often had excruciatingly painful periods where I would go 2-3 days without passing gas even once. And the more time that would pass without farting, the more pain I was in. The first time I ever took an anti-cholinergic drug (Bentyl), within an hour I finally began to fart and let loose the trapped gas. What relief!! With the smooth muscle now relaxed, I farted about every 10 minutes for the next 2 hours and with each passage of gas, the pain got less and less until it was gone completely.Ignore the naysayer. Trapped gas is real. The class of drugs used to relax the smooth intestine and allow the gas to pass are tried-and-true drugs that have been on the market and used by IBS patients for years.
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

#7 Eva H.

Eva H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:29 PM

Stace, Bentyl doesn't work for me. Have you ever tried Librax? Do you know how safe Librax is?

#8 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:40 PM

Yes, I have tried Librax and loved it. It worked wonderfully for me, but I got pregnant and couldn't take it while pregnant because Librax is Class C. Bentyl is Class B and ok for pregnant women, so I took that. I still have both Librax and Bentyl in my medicine chest. My GI prescribed me 100 Librax with 5 refills 2 years ago and I'm still on the first 100. I only take as needed. Just curious what your exact symptoms are Eva?Stacey

#9 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:41 PM

quote:
My board-certified GI explained to me that IBS is a disorder of the function of the intestinal muscles, which may contract too forcefully or weakly, too slowly or rapidly in IBS patients. And when this happens, gas can get trapped.
IBS is disorder of function which produces symptoms. The mechanism by which the symptoms occur is not so easy to determine. Motility could be involved..but how and to what degree has not been determined. Most studies don't find too much difference in motility in IBS persons compared to healthy people. That is why IBS is still defined by symptoms.
quote:
That's why anti-cholinergic works so well on trapped gas
"Trapped gas" is generally not the signficant factor in IBS..the pain and bowel symptoms are.
quote:
often had excruciatingly painful periods where I would go 2-3 days without passing gas even once. And the more time that would pass without farting, the more pain I was in. The first time I ever took an
This does sound abnormal, but it's not necessarily the gas being that held that causes your discomfort, it's IBS itself.
quote:
pass are tried-and-true drugs that have been on the market and used by IBS patients for years.
Most studies have never found these drugs of much value. That is everyone has invested so much for Lotronex and Zelnorm.
quote:
At the same time, we know there are two basic contractions in the gut
I should also point out there is another aspect to motility is that is muscle tone. Increased tone (resistance to diameter increase) could hinder gas motion through the gut. Anticholiergics do reduce tone.

#10 Eva H.

Eva H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:11 PM

I have severe cramping like labor pains for about 45 minutes before I have a BM. I get sweaty and nauseated just like having a baby! By the way my BM's are D and I usually have to go about 4 times over a period of an hour or two and then it's over and then I get C for a day or two. I also have mucous which I feel has something to do with the cramping. This started after having my gallbladder removed. I started taking calcium and that helped for about a year but it is back even though I still take the calcium.

#11 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 07:43 PM

quote:
"Trapped gas" is generally not the signficant factor in IBS..the pain and bowel symptoms are.
Gee Flux, please show me where I said that trapped gas is the "significant factor" in IBS. My board-certified GI did say, however, that trapped gas is common in people with IBS.
quote:
it's not necessarily the gas being that held that causes your discomfort, it's IBS itself.
Wrongo. My board-certified GI said in no uncertain terms that the pain I was experiencing was from a combination of the smooth muscle spasms and the trapped gas caused by these spasms. Who are you to say what is causing my discomfort?
quote:
Most studies have never found these drugs of much value.
You talk about studies, yet you cite none. FYI, anti-cholinergic drugs completely get rid of my pain and allow the gas to be expelled, so even if you did provide a study (which you didn't), what difference does that make to me since I have found a solution to my problem?? I only experience trapped gas every few months now, but when I do the anti-cholinergic medicine ALWAYS WORKS. The smooth muscle relaxes, I can pass the gas and the pain is gone. EVERY TIME.Why do you continue to argue with me? I have not asked for your advice. I am here to help others who are suffering with the same problems I have experienced.

#12 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 07:47 PM

Eva,The trapped gas I had was different than your symptoms. Mine was up high, above the navel. I have read on the main IBS Board about others who have had problems after gallbladder removal. You could do a "search" on the word gallbladder to see what has helped them. I would also suggest looking at the Diarrhea Forum.Good luck. Hope you get some relief soon.Stacey

#13 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:48 AM

quote:
that trapped gas is common in people with IBS.
Experts have long believed that IBSers actually vacuums in their guts. Only recently has there been data contradicting this. But it is not enough yet to say it is anywhere near common or a regular feature of IBS.
quote:
was experiencing was from a combination of the smooth muscle spasms and the trapped gas caused by these spasms. Who are you to say what is causing my discomfort?
No one can really say for your situation. In general, however, experts believe that the basic mechanism of pain in IBS seems to be hypersensitive nerves along the gut-brain axis. The extent that motility is involved is still unclear.
quote:
You talk about studies, yet you cite none. FYI,
See http://www4.infotrieve.com/newmedline/deta...ritable&count=1 This paper reviewed many of the drug studied that claimed to find drugs were helpful, but were really not. That is, why experts have looked into other drugs, namely Lotronex and Zelnorm. Most of the �original� drugs were never really for IBS. They were just there and at the time in the past, people did believe initially that IBS was a pure motility disorder.
quote:
Why do you continue to argue with me?
Only noting that you are generalizing about all of IBS from your one situation..which it may not even be �true� IBS for all we know. I am generalizing from a population of data.

#14 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 01:57 PM

quote:
Only noting that you are generalizing about all of IBS from your one situation..which it may not even be �true� IBS for all we know. I am generalizing from a population of data.
I am not generalizing anything about IBS. My board-certified GI was the one who diagnosed me and was the one who said that trapped gas is common in IBS patients. And he is not the only dr. who has told me this. I suffer with trapped gas. I take medicine for it. The medicine totally clears the problem up. Others come here with the same problem and upon hearing my story have tried anti-cholinergics and guess what? It allows them to finally fart and the pain ceases for them, too. So, as long as I see these posts I will continue to share my experience.Even if it isn't your intention, you really need to know that many people post about trapped gas and get turned off to the BB after reading your replies. I know this because they see my posts and contact me offline for further info.Your "generalizing from a population of data" is doing a disservice to the individuals suffering with this.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here