12 replies to this topic

#1 Beenie

Beenie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:41 AM

Advertisement
I am taking metamucil and I find that I have alot of gas and still having D. I know that I hear alot of noise,but, does anyone experience the feeling that your intestines actually move from the gas? At times ir feels like water is gurging. Do you all feel that metamucil does the job or should I ask the doctor about Immomdium(wrong spelling}? Thanks Beenie

Advertisement

#2 jscotts7

jscotts7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 01:14 AM

Supposedly, Metamucill can increase your gas output because it is a fermentable fiber. Some people here have said that Citrucil worked better for them as it is non-fermentable.Gas, noise and the actual feeling of stuff moving through the intestines -- got em all.Immodium is for preventing D. Metamucill is a bulk forming laxative. Dont think they accomplish the same thing in everyone.

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:53 AM

quote:
Metamucill can increase your gas output because it is a fermentable fiber.
Science says that none of the fiber supplements impact gas production signifcantly.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

i think citrucel is better than metamucil for this kind of thing. however for C people, they say flax fiber is best b/c it has 50% soluble and 50% insoluble - which is supposed to be the best mixture as eating too much soluble fiber can cause problems. i know i tolerate insoluble fiber better than soluble and regardless of what flux says, it seems to effect less gasiness or gassy feeling one way or another. maybe soluble fiber doesn't produce any more gas than normal foods - but maybe it pushes it through differently and therefore causes discomfort especially in those with ibs and the appearance of more having more gas. don't know. if you feel bad, then try something else. i'd recommend insoluble,but since you have D that may cause problems too. i'd say play around a bit - but i hear metamucil is the worst fiber for ibs-ers.

#5 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:32 PM

quote:
Science says that none of the fiber supplements impact gas production signifcantly.
Flux, if this is the case, am I safe to start on a little metamucil each day to stay regular? Even with my problems with gas and distension?How come most people say it will give the a lot of gas (at least at first)?Lisa
Why are you different? Why are you that way? If you don’t get in line, we'll lock you away
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal
http://www.iraqbodycount.net

#6 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:28 AM

Bump for Flux
Why are you different? Why are you that way? If you don’t get in line, we'll lock you away
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,887 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:52 AM

In the studies with normal people there doesn't seem to be any noticable difference when they take any of the fiber supplements.I do think that some IBSers are much more sensitive to a change in gas production than the standard "healthy normal".For most people they will adapt fairly quickly to the increase in gas and it doesn't effect their life. This may or may not be you. Generally I have found it seems to increase gas (when I did it even before IBS was bad when I did it for cholesterol purposes in large doses) but I didn't do any specific counting to be sure my impression was validated.There is a "general perception" that psyllium increases gas and it is a fermentable fiber so it is possible it could. But at standard doses in healthy normals there isn't enough of an increase to notice the difference. But if people believe that X will increase gas they may notice their gas more after taking it so you can think it got worse when you are just noticing it more than usual.When I did the cholesterol lowering thing it seemed that taking simethicone with the psyllium eased any farting increases I had. Since probiotics reduced the amount of gas I have in a typical day it seems that psyllium doesn't really change my gas output like it used to.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#8 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:23 PM

Thank-you very much K.My Mom is going to see her Dad in Ft. Lauderdale in February, and I have asked her to bring me home some Citrucel. I do feel that I am more sensitive the smallest amounts of gas, and due to my high-protein diet, I would be hesitant to try psyllium as I would be scared that the gas I did produce would be very smelly.Does that sound right?
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#9 Linda C

Linda C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:31 PM

Have you tried charcoal capsules? I find them helpful for both gas and diarrhea. Just don't take them close to the time you take other meds because the charcoal can absorb the other meds. Good luck!

#10 jo-jo

jo-jo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 11:55 PM

Prodiem (brown can) gave me less gas than Metamucil. I stoped taking metamucil because i was always bloated on it. I now take flax seeds with my cereal. When i first took the metamucil it gave me extreme pain that i had trouble moving, gradualy my body got used to it and the pain + gas got less and less but never totaly went away. My waist size was bigger with metamucil also, i can get into pants now that i couldnt before and i haven't lost weight.
Can you feel the bubbles?

#11 scajacuada

scajacuada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:03 AM

metamucil=major gas; citrucel=less gas. gas=pain, therefore citrucel=less pain. My experience, completely unscientific and subjective, and I make no claim of expertise or advanced knowledge of anything.

#12 jscotts7

jscotts7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 03:28 AM

I can only speak for myself, but Metamucill seems to make me significantly more bloated. I suppose it is all in my head and not true, but it did before I ever heard of this on this BB. I stopped it after reading some of the people saying it increased gas.The label on my Konsyl psyllium bottle says that it may cause minor bloating and gas until the body adjusts to it.But if science and studies and all that say it doesnt, then perhaps I am a freak. Besides, everyone knows that medical science knows everything.

#13 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:51 PM

quote:
if this is the case, am I safe to start on a little metamucil each day to stay regular
I missed this, but I would think that statement applies to "normal" people. Miralax would be better because it cannot give you gas.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here