Advertisement

Photo

Weight gain, water retention, and bloating?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Auryane

Auryane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Advertisement
Hello, My doctor gave me a tendative diagnoses of IBS.I suffer mostly from bloating...and what appears to be water retention. Basically, the scale went up by 10 lbs in 3 weeks--and thyroid test rules out an abnormal metabolism, and I've been tracking my calories intake, so I know that I haven't been eating enough to gain ANY weight, much less that much in such a short time. I'm also extremely bloated--my waist is about 3-4 inches larger than normal (which is pretty extreme when I normally have a 23/24 inch waist). The bloating exists even in the mornings, but it gets a lot worse thoroughout the day, especially after meals. I wake up with "rumbling" in my stomach...not hunger pains, but slightly uncomfortable, slightly bloated pains.My bowel movements vary between the extremes: either 3 times a day or more ("normal" for me is 5 times a week), or I go 5 days in between bowel movements. It tends to oscillate over several weeks, with occasional "normal" periods in between. No diaherra at all. My sympothems seem to have little to do with my diet--it doesn't matter what I cut out or add in, my body doesn't react well. However, it is heavily related to stress...when I'm stressed, it's much worse. It started in late April...but has been getting much worse laterly.My questions:-Does anyone else notice "weight gain"--or at least water rentation with their IBS? How do you get rid of it? Pants that used to be 2 sizes too big are now tight on me! -Does anyone else have bloating that doesn't go away completely overnight (but does get better). Before, the bloating would occur during the day...but never as bad as it right now, and it always "disappears" overnight. -has Zelnorm worked for you? My doctor hasn't put me on it yet--I'm still under observation, but that's probably what he will perscribe for me.Any other stories, suggestions, ideas, or comments are welcomed!!!

Advertisement

#2 KrisBD

KrisBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:55 PM

Advertisement
your symptoms sound EXACTLY like mine...i am very health concious and active----my waist and weight balloon at random, making me an emotional basket case...i have not seen a doctor about his yet, since origianlly my IBS was iagnosed for acid and other digestive problems. now i know that things are a bit more complicated. what has worked for you? did you receive any helpful advice? what medication has your doctor suggested?

#3 MarshaMcLaren

MarshaMcLaren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:24 AM

Advertisement
Hey, After reading your post I'm thinking to myself thank god I'm not the only one with this problem! It's awful isn't it?I have been suffering with IBS for about a year now, however my symptoms usually consist of excruitiating cramps and spasms in my stomach that take a few minutes to pass, and bring tears to my eyes in the meantime!As a young woman I've probably always been a bit susceptible to water retention and bloating feelings but not like this. I'd say for the past three weeks or so my stomach has bloated out so much that I actually look about 5 months pregnant, and I feel huge! And yes my weight has also increased due to this problem. I know when it's bad because my jeans struggle to fit. I don't know why im so bloated because I've not made any changes to my diet and my routine in life has been pretty much the same?As you say, the bloating etc 'disappears' during the night and i've also noticed when i wake up it isn't half as bloated as what it is by the end of the day. I've found that white bread is the worst! Try not to eat that if you can, that really aggrivates the bloating! (Annoying thing is, white bread...it tastes so good especially toasted with butter and jam, and a little cuppa tea - damn!)I don't think water retention tablets work. I've been taking some herbal ones and fair enough, they do make you feel like you need to pee every 5 mins but they've not made much difference.I'm going to pay a little visit to the doctor about it anyway, more so because it's becoming a bit of joke now, so I'll see what he says and I'll keep you posted on any tips I get!I hope you feel better soon! Let me know if you find anything that helps in the mean time.Regards, the budda belly!

#4 Auryane

Auryane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:34 AM

Advertisement
Kris:Like you, I eat an extremely healthy diet..and this bloating started fairly recently. I'm freaking out over it too...*sighs*So far, I haven't been prescribed anything. Because my sympothems are fairly new and stress-indyced, my doctor wants me to wait and see if it "goes away" on its own with a change of pace (I'm taking a semester "off" to study aboard, a much easier semester than my normal college load). If this doesn't go away soon, I might resort to some rather drastic measures. I don't recommand them...I haven't had any doctor recommand this (though one herbalist did--I tend to be a bit cautious of alternative medicines). I might try fasting for 2-3 days...that always cuts down on water weight (usually not permanently, because it's only water weight--but in this case, I'm not looking for any fat loss...just for my body to get back to a semi-normal water balance). I'm almost 100% sure that this weight is water retention. I'm told that you can "test" for yourself by gently pressing down on part of your body (wrists, ankles), and seeing if it leaves an indentation/coloration. I'd advise doing some research on this yourself--I'm not sure that this is really accurate. I didn't buy into this at all...but I accidently pressed against a fairly new (and therefore, red) scar on my wrist. Whereas it normally stays red, it now turns white under pressure--and slowly turns red again. I tried this with other parts of my body. It's nowhere as drastic as on the scar, but I get the same results.Added to this, none of my rings fit (even the ones that are usually loose!), and my hands feel huge and clumsly playing the violin (and it shouldn't, after 12 years of playing). Before you try anything as drastic as fasting (even a short fast), I'd advise going through the usual routes: add some soluable fiber to your diet...drink water like a fish (12 ounces a day or more for a few days)...cut down on sodium...try eating a banana or two for a few days (potassium aids electrolyte balance)...cut down on sugar/simple carbs...cut out all carbonated drinks...exercise!(especially sweat-inducing exercise)...etc. I've tried all of the above, and though they've helped to some degree, they haven't helped me enough. I still look pregnant. Marsha:I haven't tried those water tablets yet, but I try not to mess with my body too much. I've tried used anti-gas otc medication and it didn't do a thing. I'd definitely love to hear from you after you get back from the doctor's. I'm visiting mine tomorrow or Tuesday (on campus, it's a short stop). With any luck, they will give me a solid diagnoses, and a perscription for something that works--and hopefully, some answers a well.It's at the point where typing is a bit strange (though not too difficult) because I'm retenting so much water, even in my fingertips. Sometimes, especially when there's a lot fo bloating in my stomach, I struggle to breathe deeply--unusual, since I'm in great cardivascular shape (I'm a runner).

#5 Shaherah

Shaherah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

Advertisement
I've been using Senna Tea for bloating.I put 3 tea bags in a coffee maker and steep it for on hour or so. I keep it in a container in the fridge and mix about one tablespoon in a glass of juice before bedtime.(You will have experiment to find your dosage.)If I use 3 tablespoons I get cramping and diarrhea.I have suffered from IBS-D for 10 years. Recently I have developed the constipation and bloating.

#6 pb4

pb4

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:39 PM

Advertisement
Hi guys Posted Image I actually post over at the crohns/colitis forum at this website, but I alos feel I fit in at this topic. I have crohns/colits which is crohns that has set up camp where colitis typically hangs out, which is the colon, anus and rectom. Anyways, these last few months I've noticed I'm very, very bloated and super gassy, I make thunder sound like whispering. Both farting and burping, but especially farting. I've had crohns for 13 yrs now, but other then quitting smoking I havn't changed much of anything to contribute to having this problem. I drink nothing but water, seriously, no pop or juice, just water, and I also workout; cardio and weights(for the last 2 yrs). Should I try over the counter meds to help wtih this problem? I'm really concerned about being so bloated too. My GI checked in June to make sure I'm not one of those peeps who has the misfortune of dealing with both crohns and IBS, he told me lately the two seem to go hand in hand Posted Image If anyone can give some insight it would be greatly appreciated Posted Image Thanks and take care Posted Image
My bum is broken...there's a big crack down the middle of it! LOL :)

#7 rocknrolljunkie

rocknrolljunkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:08 PM

Advertisement
I too suffer from severe bloating as well, where at times, i also look like i'm pregnant. it is rock hard and very painful. diet doens't seem to make a difference too much, although i do stay away from fatty/gassy foods as much as possible. i am definitely more bloated/constipated more often than i am not...it's nice to know that there are other people out there who suffer the same way and somewhere i can go to talk about it!

#8 hkygrl12

hkygrl12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Advertisement
Oh Thank God I have found people who know what I am going through!My story sounds just like most of yours and it feels really great not to be alone. I was diagnosed about 1 year ago. It is hell unlike anything I ever have felt. Diet...yeah okay. I eat a half of a cookie and my stomach is out of control. Peppermint tea doesn't even touch it most of the time. I've tried so many prescription medications that I could get a frequent user card at the pharmacy. The initial effect of the medication is good, but mostly because I barely eat anything normally. When I start to feel better, naturally, I begin to try getting some nutrition. I'm so disgusted and frustrated. This may be an overshare, but the pain is so bad that even intimacy with my fiancee is affected. I feel like I am part of a .00001% of IBS patients that are completely untreatable!!! I vary between IBS-C and D, so no doctor will even touch Zelnorm because of the D. AAAAAARRRGGGGHHH! Is there anyone out there that is this bad too? Can we cry together?

#9 jll

jll

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:43 PM

Advertisement
I really relate to you all. Doctor just decided on Wed I have IBS C and put me on Zelnorm. I take good care of myself excercise at least 5 days a week lift weights drink 80 OZ water a day and have always eaten a high fiber diet. The C and all the pain and bloating started a month and a half ago. I do have weight gain cause I'm not pooing, when I had a BM(laxative induced before I saw doc)then my weight went down on the scale and I'd feel like my old self for 2-3 days. This really is the pits, oh and the gas! When I'm not having pain I'm passing gas and it's very offensive, my poor hubby hopes they get to bottom of this.

#10 KrisBD

KrisBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:21 AM

Advertisement
Hello all...i just got back from a lomg camping trip--i ordered and read the book Eating for IBS by heather van vorous--it has been SO wonderful to gain insight and additional informaiton on ways of helping myself. i also startedd taking Peppermint/fennel/ginger oil tablets which REALLY help with gas and discomfort. also started soluable fiber (acacia root) which has REALLy REALLY helped with bloating----heather talks about how benefcial SOLUABLE (not INsoluable) fiber is to the IBS diet and helps with both constipation and diareah problems--i highly recomend it--but guar gum which is all i could fid before the trip was a real pain in the a** to choke down...i'm hoping heather's acacia will be better. i'll let you know! in the mean time, how is everyone doing?kris

#11 KrisBD

KrisBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:31 PM

Advertisement
ok.....so far, not too much....now i'm GASSY and still no BM....well, barely. I even used a damn laxitive! i'm drinking water, staying away from fiber (because i am IBS-C and that make sit worse) and i have started taking digestive enzymes more frequently...i can feel things mocing, but nothings coming OUT!!!! good lord.....i just want the fat on top of my hips to go away.....it makes me look 10 years older than i am(and the rest of me is ripped--and i'm not saying that to be vain, i just work my ass off and this is really pissing me off.....) any help? advice? other people need to rant?

#12 i

i

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

Advertisement
finally an "explanation" (in the loose sense of the word) for all this bloatedness. can't say it's the most welcome of news though.doc has prescribed "mebeverine hydrochloride" - is anyone else taking this? with what effect?also, does anyone know of something called Dietary Fructose Intolerance? How is it diagnosed?Is anyone else completely frustrated at not being able to eat anything (even healthy stuff like fruits!) without their insides going haywire and completely bloated. so much for the daily workout.

#13 Christylove

Christylove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

Advertisement
Hi folks. I have suffered with IBS for the past 19 years. I never knew what a day was without pepto bismouth or immodium a.d. After my pregnancies, I steadily got worse and worse. I am constantly bloated. I don't know what it's like not to be bloated. If one more person asks me if I'm pregnant; I quit. I eat the wrong foods constantly, because it doesn't matter what i eat. Carbs seem to make it worse and i have read that carb consumption and IBS are connected. Raw fruit and vegetables? Forget it! If I could live on water, i would. Caffine; I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning or i drag and get a headache. It's been a no win situation, and I would LOVE for someone to be able to tell me there's hope. I am not in a relationship currently (I am divorced), and don't think I want to be with all this embarassing gas. Please let me know some solutions you may have come up with. I use to take medication, but it knocked me out, and what good is feeling good when you are sleeping and then waking up and blowing up like a balloon? Please help! All comments are welcome!!

#14 MARCIA D.

MARCIA D.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:57 AM

Advertisement
This is going to be a big help for me.I have lived with this for about 20 yrs.It does rule your life if you let it.Some days i am in bed not able to work some days are perfect.I look forward to talking to people who live like i do.I am interested in pain and bloating tips.

#15 i

i

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:56 AM

Advertisement
i have read that fennel tea is very helpful for bloating. i haven't found any yet but am looking. i have also read that there is a huge difference between soluble and insoluble fibres. whilst my doctor is telling me that whole-grains, fruits and veggies are good, other experts say they're the worst because they are insoluble fibres! i'm confused. in any case, anything i eat makes me bloated, great fun. any other solutions people have found for bloating would be much appreciated.

#16 hkygrl12

hkygrl12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:26 PM

Advertisement
How is it possible to have so many sufferers and the doctors are having such a hard time understanding? I mean to me, I'm thinking "hey, obviously the food is breaking down in some crazy way, what's normal, what's the symptoms, attack those and make them normal" But I guess if it was that easy, we all wouldn't be here discussing this.ChristyLove---My fiance and I want to start having children. How much more horrible is this going to be when forced to eat an actual diet? Eating 2-3 snacks a day isn't going to nourish a baby! I'm really nervous about that.Janet---hello to my IBS soulmate! Work out and look fat...this is my life. Gain 5 pounds, have two days of BM, lose 5 pounds. It's nuts. And I thought that PMS bloating sucked...welcome to hell by way of IBS...Thank you KrisBD for the hints, I'm going to try some of those remedies to see what's up and possibly feel good for a change!!

#17 Hootmouse

Hootmouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Advertisement
Hi All,Look at this list, and this is just a few of us who have taken the time to respond. This is ridculous!!! This many people who drink over the recommend water, exercise regularly, try to eat the "right" foods and we are bloated up and miserable. What is it?? Something has to be causing this many people to have these problems, yet nobody knows. I have suffered for 11 years now, and it continues to get worse. I have gained weight, have hypo thyroid symptoms (recently spent $300.00 for testing and my blood work is fine, metabolic panel fine too), so I continue to be miserable. It does not matter what I eat, I bloat. I am at the age where I could be having hormal problems, which can cause weight gain too. I get so tired of working out and watching what I eat and gaining weight anyway. I did the Zelnorm thing...it helped slightly with the bloating at first...but then as soon as I was taken off, right back where I started. In June I did a clinical trial for IBS. I felt great for two weeks while I was on the "real" product. Two weeks out of 11 years. I was so excited, and found the product and bought $150.00 worth. I started taking the product, and I KNOW it is NOT the same formula. I contacted the person who invented the product and told him how much I was helped during the trial and how the product I bought could not be the same. Of course he states it is the same formula. But as you all know, we know our bodies and how it reacts. The product I bought is no better than other probiotics I have used. I have ordered primal defense now, will see how that works. Sorry to ramble...just wanted to rant and share.Take Care all. Hopefully one day we will find the help we need.
"You cannot speak up for yourself when you are six feet under; so do it while you still have a voice."
by me

#18 KrisBD

KrisBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

Advertisement
I htink the ost frustrating part of our common cause is the fact that each of us, while we share many similar symptoms, each have a unique problem. This is a syndrome, and what works for one person, may not for another, even with the exact same symptoms. we need to gather our information and be willing to accept that what works for one of us may not for another (being that the average diet, even a healthy one can trigger symptoms is proof positive that our bodies march to a different drummer!) When I first was diagnosed with IBS (after a lifetime of "nervous stomach" diagnoses and a bottle a week of tums...) I became vegan--i cut out anything that might be offensive and started from scratch. If my body craved somehting, I ate a little of it and recorded how I felt after----if it made me sick, I didn;t eat it again. I experimented with different fruits, veggies, dairy, meats etc. being careful to eat them on their own and pay attentiont o how i felt. i found a diet that worked for me successfully for 3 years.my life changes, so does my IBS., I am starting over a bit again as my IBS has redefined itself. Frustrated with bloating adn weight gain, i;ve got to just try to listen---to all of you, to all the information, and mostly to myself. we'll all get through this--we've made it this far!all the best

#19 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

Advertisement
I, read this thread for Dietary Fructose intolerance http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...c;f=27;t=001971 Avoiding fructose has helped me get rid of D and gas completely.
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#20 KrisBD

KrisBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

Advertisement
ugh....nice spelling....I also wanted to share that i have found a few suppliments that have been helping with the bloating, constipation etc.....Tri source digestive bacteria in the AM on an empty stomach (with some aloe gell mixed into a bit of juice)Lipase digestive enzymes and multivitamin with digestives (My Favorite Multiple capsules happens to be my favorite....) with mealsand an Herbal Diutetic by naturade when the bloating from pressure gets to mehope this helps!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here