Finally! A product I can recommend - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Finally! A product I can recommend

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Advertisement

Note: This post was updated on 2/18/2018. 

Hi everybody!

I have had chronic constipation for over five years now, give or take. I am also a frequent poster here. Those of you who know me from this board know I’ve tried just about everything to help remedy the situation (see my list on bottom of this post). I’ve been waiting a loooooooooooooooooong time to be able to recommend a product to everyone. Well, I found something I like now (and no, unfortunately I don’t get paid for this, nor any perks for the recommendation): Dr. Schultze’s Intestinal Formula # 1.

s-l225.jpg

You can find it right here:

https://www.herbdoc....a-1-90caps.html

Also there is an Intestinal Formula # 1 maximum strength, which I use from time to time too:

https://www.herbdoc....mula-1-max.html

His website:

https://www.herbdoc.com/

I’ve been using I.F. # 1 almost 3 years now, every day, and I gotta say usually it's pretty easy to go now. I still cannot evacuate fully like I did in the good old days before IBS-C (that drives me crazy), but these 100% all herbal pills work well. Simply put, it softens up my BM's and I like that!

You say, “Can’t I just buy a stool softener and try that?”

Sure you can. I used them on & off for many months, but even though it was a bit easier to go it seemed like I couldn’t stop going….. and in SLOW MOTION. I don’t like that.

Are these pills I’m recommending miracle pills? No. But I would give them a very good rating, BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE I’VE TRIED, and I’ve tried just about everything.

Hmmmm…. What else do you need to know here?

I waited a long time to try these pills as I think Dr. Schultze’s products are a bit pricey, but worth it.

BTW, Dr. Schultze is a real doctor and he certainly seems to me that he knows what he is talking about, especially concerning constipation. He’s been in business for years & years.

If you wanna read more about his views on chronic constipation, you can read his book here, free of charge (RECOMMENDED):

http://issuu.com/ame..._single_for_web

A few random notes:

The Intestinal Formula # 1 took several days to kick in and my intestines felt really weird the first week or two, but after a while things started settling down inside.

You can always take Beano or simethicone/anti-gas pills to help with any gas you might have. This is all discussed in his book and to be expected.

Dr. Schultze recommends starting with one pill per day. Currently I’m taking two or three regular strength pills every day, during my main meal of the day (NOT afterwards).

Thank heavens, I finally found something that works well. (Hey-now!)

Quick read:

"Is chronic use of stimulant laxatives harmful to the colon?" 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12702977

"The Great List of Remedies that I have personally tried"

http://www.ibsgroup....remedies/page-7

I wanted to put all the stuff I've tried for my IBS-C that I can remember. 

Here we go:

Different kinds of magnesium - magnesium doesn't work for me but does for most. Recommended.

Stool softeners - work

Aloe gels - didn't work for my chronic constipation (CC) but definitely soothes the intestines. Recommend for that (I still take two gels a day).

Peppermint pills - didn't work for my CC but might have given me fresh breath (or at least fresh burps tongue.png ).

Probiotics - tried several different brands and types. I do **NOT** recommend probiotics for people with CC. Most of the time they will make the condition worse, but not always. 

Senna - works

Franklin Formulas - these were tried by bunch of us on this board. For both IBS-C & D. They barely did anything by themselves. I don't think they are available anymore.

Olive oil - tried drinking this a few times a day, every day. Didn't help.

Soluble and insoluble fiber - tried both kinds several times, they both make about 80% of us on this side of the board (CC) - including myself - even more constipated. If extra fiber clears up your CC? Congratulations, you are off the hook. If not? Fiber is a menace.

Apple cider vinegar - I heard if one takes a couple of teaspoons of this, mixed with water, once a day, it will help with one's CC. Well, it worked a little bit, but not enough by itself for me. ACV has a LOT of other uses. Google if interested. P.S. I still drink it in the mornings.

Colloidal silver - tried a tablespoon a day, didn't work for my CC. I still take it though, it's a good source of energy, etc.

Erythromycin - You need a prescription for this. It did help with my CC. Recommended somewhat.

Water, and lots of it. Didn't do a thing except make me have to urinate more. And speaking of urine...

Urine therapy - Drinking my own urine for about a week didn't help with my CC. Yes, I will try anything. And speaking of anything...

Fecal transplants (aka FMT's) - I tried two of these myself, both rectally and with pills. Neither helped at all, but I did them incorrectly. However FMT's do show some promise of a real cure, especially for those with IBS-D... but I don't have that. The IBS-C FMT cure rate (30%) is not nearly as high as the IBS-D cure rate (80%), but I'm thinking that both these figures may be inflated?

Miralax - I took this on and off for months at a time. It's definitely better than nothing, I'd rate it about a C+ as far as its effectiveness. Very popular/somewhat recommended.

Prune juice - Just a small cup of this will give me diarrhea. It works for most people who suffer from CC, but not everyone. Recommended.

Chicken soup, garlic & onion style - I have a bowl of my chicken soup pretty much every day, it definitely helps with my BM's. Recommended. The ingredients and directions are here, if interested: http://www.ibsgroup....the-tummy-area/

Alcohol - Several people have posted after a night of a few drinks? No CC the following morning. Even though I've been clean & sober over 21 years now? Hell yes I'd drink a beer or two a night to get rid of this. So I had one beer. Result? More constipation the next day (sighs). Definitely worth a try though.

Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 - I've been on this for almost 3 years now, it's my fav. All natural, herbal, made by a real doctor. And I can and do eat anything I want on it. Recommended.

Enemas - Definitely worth trying, recommended. They make me have to urinate like crazy afterwards so I really don't like giving myself them, but they definitely help.

Vegetarianism - I've read quite a few success stories here with going vegetarian. It's definitely worth a try.

Prayer - I had to add this to the list. I don't know anyone who has been cured of CC through prayer, including myself. I feel weird saying this as I am a Born Again Christian, but it is the truth. And yes, I still pray all the time to be cured and it's still a no go - at least so far. Still? Worth trying.

Fasting - I did my first 7 day fast a couple of weeks ago. Just water. It temporarily cured me of my IBS-C, but then it slowly came back. It was a great experience and I still have health benefits from doing it. I will do another one sometime in the future when I have the time. Definitely recommended. If interested: 'The Fasting Cure' by Upton Sinclair. This book is 107 years old. Free to read on PDF right here: http://apache2.pum.e...sting/upton.pdf

I think both FMT's and fasting have the best chances of us actually being cured. Intestinal Formula # 1 is best at treating the condition successfully. My two cents.

Good luck everybody! smile.png

• Betty Wilson, LuvTheLoo, mikan92 and 4 others like this

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9950 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

glad it's helping you, Flossy!  smile.png

in case anyone is wondering, here's an ingredients list: 

http://www.totaldisc...4473/dr_schulze

• mikan92 likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Rosie Marie

Rosie Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi Flossy,

I just read some of the book and it sounds like something I'm interested in trying. I have been trying to eat a more natural diet and this seems to make sense.

Could you tell me if this can be used long term? I'm still confused on how long you can take it and I feel like I need a life time solution if you know what I mean.

Thank you for sharing this!

Marie

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hi Flossy,

I just read some of the book and it sounds like something I'm interested in trying. I have been trying to eat a more natural diet and this seems to make sense.

Could you tell me if this can be used long term? I'm still confused on how long you can take it and I feel like I need a life time solution if you know what I mean.

Thank you for sharing this!

Marie

Yes Marie, in his book he says it can safely be taken long-term.

This is discussed on pages 96, 97 & 98 of his book: "Can I take Intestinal Formula # 1 indefinitely?"

Link:

http://issuu.com/ame..._single_for_web

#5 mikan92

mikan92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

Hi!

Just wondering if you have tried the formula 2 yet, someone online mentioned that it works better for the colon?

#6 ibsgirl40

ibsgirl40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

Well I ordered it - I'll give it a shot.  I'm with you on the tons of money dumped (no pun intended) on this disorder.  Senna usually doesn't do much for me but I'm hoping the other stuff does - although I have a real problem with gas as it is so we will see.  Anyway thanks for posting it.

#7 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hi!

Just wondering if you have tried the formula 2 yet, someone online mentioned that it works better for the colon?

No, I still have a bunch of Intestinal Formula Number 1, and it's working pretty well, so the # 2 tryout might be a few weeks away.

#8 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

Well I ordered it - I'll give it a shot.  I'm with you on the tons of money dumped (no pun intended) on this disorder.  Senna usually doesn't do much for me but I'm hoping the other stuff does - although I have a real problem with gas as it is so we will see.  Anyway thanks for posting it.

You're welcome. Keep us posted!

• Fromthegut likes this

#9 sariroko

sariroko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Yep I am also taking some herbal supplement that is mainly dried herbs and it seems to help!

#10 Rosie Marie

Rosie Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

Thank you Flossy, it's so hard for me to find something that I can take long term that actually works! I'm going to order this and I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in a long time about a product; even if it doesn't work it's worth a shot.

#11 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:27 AM

Thank you Flossy, it's so hard for me to find something that I can take long term that actually works! I'm going to order this and I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in a long time about a product; even if it doesn't work it's worth a shot.

I think you'll like it. Just give your body some time to adjust to it. It took mine a few weeks, as it felt weird at first. "My intestines are working again!"

#12 ibsgirl40

ibsgirl40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Ok so question for you Flossy.  I started this yesterday.  I took 4 pills with dinner( I ate a lot because I had read about the reflux and burning this product could cause and since I have barretts I figured that would pretty much be guaranteed for me.) and with 2 dulcolax since I have been taking them for so long and I knew the pills alone would do nothing.  Well not a ton happened.  However I did have a side effect which I'm wondering if you experienced.  Like I read on some Amazon reviews, soon after taking the capsules I had EXTREME burning in my stomach and esophagus.  So I actually took several Tums since I knew it was the hot pepper in the capsules. If helped, but didn't completely go away.  I wanted to try taking 5 today but have a feeling that this burning is just going to get worse and worse.

Did you experience this?  And if so is there a way to counteract it?

Thanks!!

#13 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

No, I didn't experience that at all. Maybe it's best to just start with less pills so your system can get used to it little by little?

#14 Rosie Marie

Rosie Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hey ibsgirl40 and Flossy,

I started the pills too last Friday! I accidentally ordered maximum strength though. I alternated between taking one and two pills but mostly one pill a day.

Like you ibsgirl40 I've been taking a lot of Dulcolax. I'm also on Linzess and Lactulose (which I've been doing for almost three months with no results). I continued my Linzess/Lactulose routine this last week but didn't take any Dulcolax. I finally got the urge to go a little; it wasn't much but I'm just happy to have some results! I know the pills are what caused me to get some "action".

I didn't experience any burning from the maximum strength one but I believe you're right about the pepper. I took my pills with food so maybe that helped. I did contact their customer service to see if I could open the pills and put them in something I ate but they didn't suggest I do that because they said it would burn my throat.

#15 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

Keep us posted, Rosie Marie!

I have some maximum strength but haven't tried them as of yet.

• daleann likes this

#16 Rosie Marie

Rosie Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

I definitely will Flossy thank you! I think I'm going to order the regular strength one this weekend so I can save the maximum for bad weeks.

#17 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Ok so question for you Flossy.  I started this yesterday.  I took 4 pills with dinner( I ate a lot because I had read about the reflux and burning this product could cause and since I have barretts I figured that would pretty much be guaranteed for me.) and with 2 dulcolax since I have been taking them for so long and I knew the pills alone would do nothing.  Well not a ton happened.  However I did have a side effect which I'm wondering if you experienced.  Like I read on some Amazon reviews, soon after taking the capsules I had EXTREME burning in my stomach and esophagus.  So I actually took several Tums since I knew it was the hot pepper in the capsules. If helped, but didn't completely go away.  I wanted to try taking 5 today but have a feeling that this burning is just going to get worse and worse.

Did you experience this?  And if so is there a way to counteract it?

Thanks!!

Just to say the same sort thing again, I really think taking 4 pills of anything right off the bat is really excessive....'The kamikaze approach.' This isn't something you're gonna get instant results with anyhow, but that's obviously what you want. It takes time.

#18 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Another good thing about Intestinal Formula # 1 is I don't have nearly as much fecal matter in me then when I didn't take it. I actually lost two or three pounds, and I'm already pretty skinny. It's nice not to feel so full of ick all the time.

But the best thing about it is it softens up your fecal matter. No more feeling like there are rocks/boulders/cement inside of me.

...You know what I'm talkin' about!  smile.png

mufjbFRUZfRTowj9JJphp8Q.jpg

#19 ibsgirl40

ibsgirl40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Ok I think I was misunderstanding this.  Is this a product that should work by the next day or something that builds in your system over time? In that case would I maybe be better off sticking to my routine that "works" and add one tablet per day with the hopes of increasing the Dr. Schulzes over time and decreasing the dulcoax?? 

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

#20 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

Yes, ibsgirl40. (I also replied to your previous post twice, somewhere up ^there,^ just in case you didn't see it.)

Good luck!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here