Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Magnesium Questions

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  flossy 
#1 ·
Ok so last night I started taking a magnesium supplement. I took magnesium that was a complex of oxide and chelate (it said something about amino acids too) because I couldn't find any citrate that was in capsule form. I can't stomach tablets or fizzy liquids. The dosage was 200mg. I took that and almost immediately I had terrible bloating and gas pains. Bad enough that I had to cancel all my plans. Since I'd heard that it's recommended to take more than 400mg, I took another dose before bed. When I woke up I felt better and had my first full-sized BM in 4-5 days.

Then it got worse again. My stomach started gurgling and I've had several incomplete (pellet sized) BMs since then and I just feel really uncomfortable and backed-up still.

First: Does it just take awhile to get used to? Or do you think it just doesn't work for me personally?

Second: Is there anything I can do? This whole week is the first in forever that I've had trouble passing any full BMs so I wonder if I just need to be cleared out. I've never done an enema and was wondering if there were any side effects (gas, bloating, etc) and how long it takes.

#2 ·
i'm not familiar with that particular type of magnesium. so sorry you had problems with it. sounds like this particular type of magnesium doesn't agree with you. i take magnesium citrate in tablet form and also magnesium oxide in tablet form with no problems but that's me...

as far as enemas are concerned- the small fleets enema don't go up too high but they do clear out the rectum and maybe part of the sigmoid colon.

the bigger, quart size enemas--the big enema bags clean you out a lot more. you can buy these at drug stores. some people only do half of them--not the whole thing. you want to do what is comfortable for you to do. they come with instructions. or you can find instructions and enema advice online, too. even u-tube videos ...

it's been years since i've done any enemas since they no longer work for me. i can't get all the water out. but that's me--i'm complicated...lol...

good luck hope you can get some relief.

good luck

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not sure if you are taking the magnesium for overall health/IBS benefit or to try to relieve constipation.

I take about 400mg daily spread over 3 pills. I do this to relieve pain, and also for a very slight, mild laxative effect. Just enough to keep me from becoming constipated as I take meds which slow gut motility. I do feel that anymore than I am taking would be an issue for me... gurgling/wet BMs.

I too only use magnesium citrate. The softgels I use are only 133mg per cap. I'm attaching pics. (Well nevermind that doesn't look like I can attach pics unless web hosted). If you are interested pm me and I will email you pics of the bottle.

Other good info...

9 Types of Magnesium:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/types-of-magnesium/

and--the best and worst forms of magnesium:

.http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_absorption.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.