Bloating, Gas, and Lack of Appetite

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 1999 - 11:56 PM

Advertisement
Hello to all. I have had IBS for about 8 years, and my few visits to the doctor on the subject produduced nothing more than eat a diet high in fiber, vegetables and fruit....etc., etc. I try to do this for IBS purposes as well as just that it is a healthy diet. Getting to the point here, is that I have constant bloating and gas, and very little appetite. I find myself eating because it is time to, and very rarely eat more than 2 meals a day. In fact, I have gone many, many days with breakfast only. If I were to eat only when I was actually HUNGRY, I would eat one small meal per day. Problem is, I like to eat!!! I rarely feel hungry. Does that make sense?? My other problem is the seemingly impossible task of losing weight. I exercise 30 min a day 5 days a week, and have for 2 years. My diet has not changed drastically in those 2 years, and certainly has not increased. HELP!!! Metamucil used to help, but lately doesn't seem to do much. It is nice to have found this support group, although I can't even figure out what all of the icons mean......duh......------------------Maris

Advertisement

#2 moulage

moulage

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 28 November 1999 - 12:46 AM

Welcome Maris. I was that way before I found out that citric acid (as well as benzoic acid, and possibly lactic acid- all preservatives/additives) where causing my stomach to bloat up and feel full all the time. Citric acid is in fruity drinks, and tomato products and is a common IBS offender. You really have to read labels. Benzoic Acid is mainly in soda pop. I was checked by an allergist for these with provocative sublingual testing and my stomach blew up and became uncomfortable when these allergen drops were placed under my tongue. They then gave me an antigen drop which took the symptoms away. I also had a problem with Candida and other molds and was put on an antifungal. You could try staying away from sugars and fermented products and take refrigerated acidophilis and see if that helps you too. What icons are you referring to? You kind of have to play around, I think there might be FAQ (frequently asked questions) at the top of the BB you can click on, and it might help to explain a few things. You can also click on search to help you find specific topics. Good luck Maris! ------------------
time will eclipse all reason

#3 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 November 1999 - 01:17 AM

Hi Maris:When my IBS kicked in this past year, I didn't know it was IBS, only that I was constipated. I did a bit of reading on nutrition and went to see a nutritionist. Her advise was to eat a very balanced diet and to include a lot of fiber. Basically, the food pyramid.Webmd.com has a nutritionist on one of their message boards, Martha McKittrick. I think right now the message board is headed "How to Eat Right for The Holiday's", or something like that. Anyway, I posed the question to her that I had IBS and was concerned about having to eat a very balanced diet because it was more calories than I was used to. Her advice to me was to eat 3 to 5 fruits and vegetables, protein, little fat, and 6 grain exchanges per day. I have been doing that, along with drinking plenty of water and using a flaxmeal fiber supplement, FiberSmart. I also take peppermint capsules and some other things. After a few weeks my body became accustomed to the higher calories (1600 per day) and I started to loose weight again. I have to actively work at not getting constipated, which means I can't skip meals because it would be too hard to get all the nutrients and fibers in one meal. So it's best, even if you're not feeling well, to at least eat something for each meal, and try to keep it high in fiber.If you have trigger foods, of course, you'll have to work around them. I still bloat but not as much as before, and I cramp, but I think that may be getting less, I'm not sure.And Moldie is right about food allergies. Maybe one day I'll bug my doctor about them. Right now I just remembered that I need to get at least a cup of veggies in so I'm going to go and make brussel sprouts!I hope this helps! Keep us posted on how things are going for you. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#4 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 November 1999 - 01:22 AM

Oh, Maris, I forgot, re weight loss. I've been doing Weight Watchers for 2 years and one the main things I've learned is not to take the calories too low. Your body will hold onto the fat because it things you're starving in, and your metabolism will slow down. I'm 48 and walk about 1-1/2 hours in 20 minute stretches per day, and usually 40 minutes each on Saturday and Sunday. I weight 164 and am eating about 1600 calories per day. So you may want to check out if you're not eating enough!If anyone wants to talk about weight issues, I'll be glad to in the Meeting Place! I go to meetings every Wednesday for my support. Have to have it or I'll slip up! Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#5 Guest_Guy_*

Guest_Guy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 1999 - 02:29 AM

Maris,You might try weight training to help lose body fat. The trouble with trying to lose weight by just dieting is that about 30% of the weight lost is muscle, which lowers resting metabolism and makes it harder to keep the weight off. Regular aerobic exercise reduces this muscle loss somewhat, but about 20% of weight loss is still muscle.If weight training is added on top of aerobics, though, one doesn't lose any muscle at all! It's the only truly effective way to change body composition. Every five pounds of muscle gained by weight training raises resting metabolism by about 200 calories a day. That's 200 more calories/day you burn by doing *nothing*; that's just the maintenence cost of keeping that extra five pounds of muscle alive. Every 2 1/2 weeks, that five pounds of muscle will burn an additional pound of body fat passively; one could burn that much even if one slept all day! That's why professional bodybuilders have to eat 4-5,000calories a day; they have all this metabolically active muscle hangin' all over em'! If you combine weight training with at least five days/week, 30 minutes/day of vigorous aerobic exercise, you should see successful results. People who are successful at keeping weight off have to burn at *least* 2500-2800 calories a week in exercise, so it does take some committment. As I tell my clients, the first part of "workout" is "work"! As anyone can see who visits my biography on this BB, in real life I'm an exercise physiologist, so this is what I spend most of my waking hours doing; trying to get people to exercise! If you'd like further info, I'd be glad to help, you can e-mail me off line and I'll give you further info. I know how hard and frustrating it is to lose weight from a personal perspective, because I used to weigh 40 pounds more than I do now, and had tried every diet in the book. I finally managed to succeed, though, and I've been able to maintain my current weight for 12 years. I've been there, I've done that, and I understand.------------------

#6 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 November 1999 - 02:34 AM

Guy, you're so right about the weight training. I used to do it but can't anymore. So I do a lot of walking. You have to keep moving!I'm so glad you're here to remind us of these things! Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#7 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 1999 - 11:29 AM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will give these things a try, but I have to admit it's going to take some discipline. The only thing that seems to help the bloated feeling so far is severely limiting what I eat -- the less I eat, the better I fell often times, and have no hunger pains. But that's not a well balanced diet, now is it? 2 of you suggested the flax, so that sounds like something I should really try. I put the question about weight in there not really knowing if the problem is related to IBS or not but it feels like the bloating is the problem. Guy, (would have e mailed you but couldn't find your address) I am particularly glad you responded, and you might be surprised to know that I do a combination of the following 5 days a week - treadmill, stairclimber, bike riding and.....weight training!!!! I've been doing the bike for about 5 years, the treadmill for 2 years, the weights since the springtime (usually 2 days/week) and the stairclimber for the past month or so. Generally I exercise 30 minutes M-F, except the weight training video I have is 40 minutes long. I have definitely seen improvement in muscle, particularly my legs and thighs, but my belly and hips have not changed. I am probably only about 20-25 pounds over my ideal (I am 5'5" and weigh about 155) but would be very happy to weigh 135. But it has been very frustrating to work this hard and not lose pounds or inches. (People ask all the time if I've lost weight, so I have accomplished something). I realize that I am healthier for it but I am very FRUSTRATED. I do all my exercising at home as I am too lazy to leave the house for it, but at least I can admit this to myself. And I have become addicted to exercising; if I don't do it for a while I actually start to crave it. (Never believed that was true!!)Anyway, now that I've rambled on, I'll stop. The icons I mentioned, Moldie, are in the "message icon" box as I type this reply. How do you insert them into your reply? Or anywhere but the beginning of this? Thanks again to all!!!------------------Maris

#8 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 November 1999 - 02:18 PM

Hi Maris:Guy will probably pop in later with more answers, but I'll put in my 2 cents.Muscle weighs more than fat, as I'm sure you know already, so you can weigh more than your ideal weight and still look good. Are you taking measurements? I'm really envious of the program you have going. It makes me feel like exercising again. Hmmm, maybe when the New Years specials start at the gym I'll get started.Anyway, as far as weight gain and bloating go with IBS, I did find that when my IBS C kicked in my weight went up 10 pounds and it wasn't until I got the C under control and started having regular bowel movements that I started to lose it again. So there is something to it!Please keep us posted! You're motivating me! Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#9 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 1999 - 12:24 AM

Hi, Jean.I've taken measurements on occasion but not regularly...never got the results I wanted. I supposed there is slight difference in my appearance, but not nearly what there should be. I must confess that my motivation to continue the exercise is not entirely ... hardly.... for weight loss, but an overall health-conscious sort of a thing. It's to do what little I can to prevent the cancer that runs in my family. I don't what happened to others to happen to me. It was not pretty, let me tell you. C has not been the worst problems I have, on and off sometimes. As I stated, it's the bloated, full feeling that I have all the time, gassy tummy and little appetite. Will try to get to the health food store this week. I honestly feel so defeated at this point I must admit that I am doubtful of finding anything that will work. :-("Thank you for your support." Maris------------------Maris

#10 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 29 November 1999 - 12:52 AM

Keep trying, Maris. There has to be an answer for you. At least we have this board and everyone else coming up with ideas and suggestions. Knowing this place is here gives me hope.I'm sorry about the cancer in your family. That is really rough. What type is it? You don't have to say if it's too personal. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#11 Guest_Guy_*

Guest_Guy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 1999 - 01:27 AM

Maris,Actually, you're not that far above the "healthy" weight range for someone of your height. The "healthy" weight range for a person 5 5' is 115-150 pounds, so you may not have as far to go as you think! What you weigh is not as important as what that weight is composed of. Have you ever has your body fat estimated? Normal % body fat for a female is 20-25 %, approximately 5-10% higher than normal % body for a male. Have you had a cholesterol test done? Is your blood pressure normal? If the answer to these questions is "yes", then body fat per se is not as important, since it's not affecting your health. The best ways, in my view, to estimate % body fat are skinfold calipers and hydrostatic weighing. An easy measurement to perform is to take a tape measure and wrap it around your waist at the navel. If the tape measures less than 36 inches, that's a good sign.

#12 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 1999 - 10:25 PM

Hi, Jean.No, I don't mind saying. Unfortunately, it's ovarian and breast cancer. As if one isn't enough, eh?Guy,I have a friend who measured my body fat about a year and a half ago, and I don't remember the specific results, but they were good. I definitely weighed 15 or so pounds lighter then, that was just before my wedding. My cholesterol was tested 5-6 years ago and was very good. Blood pressure is normal. Will measure waist when I get my hands on my tape measure. I do realize that I'm not too terribly far from my ideal, but I would like to be closer to the lower end than the high end!! Thanks for the words of encouragement and the advice. Very much appreciated. ------------------Maris

#13 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 30 November 1999 - 01:21 AM

Try to keep well, Maris. It's tough with those 2 cancer's in the family, I know. But you're doing good with the exercise and everything else you're doing. Aren't they finding lately that makes a big difference? Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#14 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 1999 - 01:02 AM

Hi, Jean.Well, they say that it helps, actually, as you know, it's extremely beneficial to exercise, period. The list of benefits from exercising is endless. There is always conflicting info on what helps to prevent these in particular, but the way I see it is that so very much of it is out of my control....if exercising even lowers my chances by 1%, at least I feel like I've done what I can. There's not much more I can do, except eat well. And I try and try and try...that's harder to stick to than anexercise program. At least for me!

#15 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 01 December 1999 - 01:07 AM

Hi Maris:That 1% could make a 100% difference in the long run. At least that's how I feel. I personally feel the healthier we are and the stronger our immune system is, the more we can fight these things. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

#16 Guest_Fern_*

Guest_Fern_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 1999 - 04:20 AM

Hi Maris, bloating,no appetite and feeling full all the time are some of the symptoms i have had for several years. Using suggestions from this bulletin board and from my MD, I have definitely improved although still have some problems with bloating and C. But since the bloating and gas symptoms have lessened and over the 7 months my appetite has slowly returned,I will tell you what I take and perhaps you might get some ideas for yourself. My daily regimen ne PB8 Acidophilus, a digestive enzyme (pancreatin,quadruple strength)after each meal, citrucel daily(started with 1/8 teaspoon in water and am up to 1/2 tbs). these are over the counter. In addition, because I had been alternating C an d, I take bentyl 4x daily, propulsid (4 pills daily as i have a slowly emptying stomach).

#17 Guest_sarahz_*

Guest_sarahz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 1999 - 08:57 PM

Fern, I have the exact symptoms as you and have lost way too much weight. Propulsid has helped me a lot! I'm afraid to take the bentyl in fear it will slow my insides even more. Does it stop the spasms and allow things to move? Or does it just relax everything and possible cause C.? If you know please explain. thank you Sarahz

#18 Guest_Fern_*

Guest_Fern_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 1999 - 11:20 PM

Sarahz,before i started taking bentyl, I alternated between C and D with lots of painful spasms and cramps and urgency.over the past 7 months the bentyl alleviated the D and also the urgency. However I also need fiber(, I would be always C but the citrucel has helped even though I am C occasionally.) when I start to get C, I up the amount of citrucel. I began slowly with Bentyl 7 months ago and eventually the side effects of dry mouth and drowsiness disappeared. You might check with your dr. aobut it. Very recently i began taking magnesium to help with the C. It is helping.Good Luck

#19 Guest_Maris_*

Guest_Maris_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 1999 - 12:28 AM

Hello, FernThanks for your reply and suggestions! I am definitely going to go shopping for some of these things. D has not been chronic for me, it comes on and off. C is a problem more, but the bloating is the worst. And the spasms are a daily issue. Glad to hear you've found some relief!!------------------Maris

#20 Guest_HilaryKir_*

Guest_HilaryKir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 1999 - 10:25 AM

Hi- I am new here. I will write more later, but here is my general advice. I am have alternating C and D, both with cramps. Immodium is great, but it causes C which leads to more pain. I take Gas-X (simethicone)and it is amazing, I wish I could take it more. Bean-o is a great enzyme, that helps wih most foods.(you can find it at any gorcery or drugstore) I am trying to take the multiple enzyme, but so far it leads to D. Occasionally, it has worked miracles to take an enzyme with food. The problem with G and Bloating could be caused by digestion that is too slow- enzymes would help a lot. Citracel is great. The mental connection to IBS is very real for most people. Worrying about IBS makes it worse, which is sadly ironic, because IBS is a condition that creates great anxiety and social phobias. What has helped me the most is the anti-depressant, Remeron. Unfortunatley, the fabulous side effects, which made IBS disappear for a time, tend to fade away, and I am having problems again. The drug continues to treat my depression well. Remeron is the only anti-depressant that had such a positive effect on me. Meditation and yoga,journal writing,and basic stretching, as well as a LOT of exercise have helped to decrease all symptoms, esp C and G. These activities just make everything work better, and the body can resolve itself to some degree. I have struggled with panic disorder and anxiety for several years, and have concluded that the IBS will all but vanish once I am mentally under control. The down side to that, is that I can't even imagine being under control of my mental state for an extended period of time! I am a 6-yr vegetarian, and am just about ready to become a Vegan out of desperation. Recently, I heard about the new drug to come out in the market to treat IBS (hopefully in Jan-2000). I am praying it will be the "cure" for as many of us as possible. I will make a better effort to stay on the topic at hand next time! Thanks

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here