Advertisement

Photo

Tell your experience with Slippery Elm Here!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 06:12 PM

Advertisement
I believe Slippery Elm has put my IBS in remission. A friend of mine went to a nutritionalist to get an eating plan to help her lose weight. She said she gets pain from dairy and that she didn't know if her diet should consist of it. Then he told her to take Slippery Elm and lower her dairy intake.He explained that Slippery Elm is beneficial for all kinds of bowel ailments. I gave it some thought and went to the store and bought some. I don't experience pain anymore, and I go a few times a day. I feel completely evacuated and I don't experience trapped gas or bloating and pain. IBS type bloating still happens around that time of the month, but its not accompanied by pain.I wish everyone would try it once. Different things for different people, but it is soooooo worth trying. I can't say enough good things about it. I am beginning to sound like a broken record, but if it helps someone it is worth it.

Advertisement

#2 Carla_777

Carla_777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 08:22 PM

Thanks 4 sharing this, i will definately give it a go. How much do u take and when?

#3 Gret

Gret

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 10:45 PM

I've been curious about slippery elm. Is it in capsule form or liquid? I may have to give it a try. Do you take it with omega 3 too?

#4 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:04 AM

Could you please tell us what brand of Slippery Elm you use. There are so many out there.
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#5 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:17 PM

The one I was taking is Nature's Way, it has a green and white label and a green cap. Unfortunately last time I went to the Helath Food store they were out of it, but they sold the powder (I don't know what brand that is, I just got it in a ziploc bag, they measured it out for me from a bin). Capsules are much more convenient. Right now I carry the powder with me which is a bit of an inconvenience. ... But the powder works just as well, but you have to add it to hot water (I take a heaping teaspoon in the water.) I drink it one to three times a day. As for the capsules I took it according to the bottle.. I believe it was 2 capsules 3 times a day. The "tea" (mixing the powder with hot water) may not taste that great to some. I didn't like it at first but have become used to it.

#6 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:50 AM

I_H8_IBS, thanks for the reply, but I have one more question. Is slippery elm all you are taking for the "C", or do you take other supplements, like magnesium, fiber etc.?
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#7 H8_IBS

H8_IBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 02:12 PM

Slippery Elm is all I have been taking regularly. I used to take Magnessium and still highly recommend that for many also. The Slippery Elm just works better for me, and helps with the pain aspect also, where Magnesium didn't help pain.

#8 Carla_777

Carla_777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:40 PM

Hi, i brought some tonight. They only sell it powder form where i went. How much water do u add to the heaped teaspoon? Its like drinking snot, lol, (maybe i didn't add enough water ) but if it helps its worth it!

#9 jodys

jodys

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:50 PM

HAHAHA!!!! Carla, I'm dying laughing here!!!! I think I'll try the capsules instead!! HA!! Jody

#10 Feisty

Feisty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 11:48 PM

Hi Kari Posted Image Thanks for the info on the Slippery Elm. Hmmmmmm.........I just may try some. But.....I certainly won't get the powdered form! LOL. At least not according to Carla. Posted Image Blech........
quote:
Its like drinking snot
ROTFLMAO

#11 Breck

Breck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 12:18 AM

I to am starting the slippery elm. The instructions on my bottle suggest 1 capsule daily. It sound like this is not enough. 1 Capsule is 300 Mgs?

#12 Paulj

Paulj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 12:31 AM

For mixing up the powder:Mix about 1 teaspoon of powder in some cold water in a cup until its mixed through, then top it up with boiling water.The powder form seems to be more effective than the capsules (and cheaper).Also make sure you get 100% slippery elm, as there are other products on the market with names like slippery elm food, which add alot of other rubbish.

#13 H8_IBS

H8_IBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Carla!!! You cracked me up with that!!! Yeah it does have a weird consistency. It's taken ame a while to get used to it but I still don't like it very much. I just picked up more powder. The 300mg once a day sounds low, but give it a shot. The Natures Way was 340 mg 3xs a day, so if you find in a low dose it isn't helping perhaps increase it. Carla, I am still laughing!Hi Feisty Posted Image

#14 Carla_777

Carla_777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image Glad i made u all laugh!!!!!!!How does the slippery elm work? Cause so far no results. How long does it take approx?Actually i'm being 2 worry that mayb my problem is slow transit or something coz my stools r alwayz small, hard, lumps and quite often i feel them sitting there almost giving me the urge 2 go, but i cant pass them. Whats wrong? Please someone help. Posted Image Posted Image I do all the eating fruit, veg drinking water and stuff. Is slippery elm soluable fibre?

#15 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:46 AM

When I started it I was majorly C, so it took a few days...but after finally going it worked daily. I notice I feel much better when I eat lower carb foods, and for some reason fruits cause me bloating...perhaps the fructose in them? don't know why this is, but the past two days I haven't been eating low carb. I had a big hot pretzel and bread later on and I had a really difficult time today..I almost wonder if stuff like that doesn't absorb water in the bowels and in turn make things harder to pass. Anything doughy usually makes things a little more difficult for me. I am not sure, are you eating a lot of grains, breads or pasta? I just found out tonight that I am pregnant, so I don't know if I can take the Slippery Elm for a while. I sure hope so...because otherwise I am doomed IBS-wise. That also goes for Magnesium.

#16 skinny

skinny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the report I_H8_IBS. I went immediately to go buy Nature Way's Slippery Elm. Posted Image My IBS has been a lot better after going on 5 different antibiotics. My (secondary) lactose intolerance is still gone, so I'm eating lots of dairy. My problems are now just visceral sensitivity (discomfort not really pain) and mild C. I am on Bentyl 3-4x a day and that made a huge relief on my discomfort (no side effects too). However I pigged out on pizza a couple days ago and got C and discomfort. This evening I popped 4 Slippery Elm pills, had a Hamburger and large cookie later...6 hours later go to the bathroom and WHoooosh! I had a mushy BM that was my dinner. Wow that was fast transit. Maybe I need to cut down on the dosage.Hope this works for me.Er one question? Are your BMs normal in consistency and girth? skinny

#17 Carla_777

Carla_777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:52 AM

I_H8_IBS maybe your right i do eat a lot of pasta, bread etc. What foods do u eat? Describe a typical day (sorry 2 b a nuisance!) Thanks 4 ur help, Carla xXx

#18 Carla_777

Carla_777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:53 PM

How much water do u mix with it exactly ie can u tell me in terms of ml, l or pints? How much is safe 2 take per day. How exactly do u prepare it. I know u have kinda been through this but its unclear and i think im doin it wrong. Is the liquid meant 2 b quite thick or should it be runy?

#19 H8_IBS

H8_IBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:55 PM

Hi Skinny,I am glad to hear it helped you. I notice actually that I go a lot more volume wise at a time (sorry for the detail) and when I go I feel completely done. Hi Carla,My average day as of recently (because i was trying out the South Beach Diet and found that wya of eating helped me too) consists ofBreakfast- Eggs or Egg beaters for breakfast with low fat cheese and two slices of canadian bacon.Lunch, Grilled chicken, or grilled chicken salad or steak or any kind of meat and veggies.Dinner- Mostly meat and veggies.I think it is okay to have say a sandwich for lunch, but if you have a sandwich then maybe skip the pasta at dinner time. I'm not sure, but for me I can't have more than one serving of anything starchy. Also I highly recommend Almonds and/or Sunflower seeds...they contain healthy fats and they are both high in fiber. I never have the dicomfort I experience with most fibers when I eat those. I seemed to miss the question about the Omega Faty Acids...I was taking fish oil supplements that contained these, but I was never good at taking them regularly. I didn't find them to help me IBS wise, but I know they are good for you. I've also read they have been known to help with depression too, so if they affect and aid the chemicals in the brain there's probably a good chance some IBSers may find it helps them.

#20 H8_IBS

H8_IBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 02:10 PM

Hi Carla,I mix a teaspoon with hot water (a mug full....about 6 or 8 oz I believe) I usually heat the mug of water inthe microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds, and then put a teaspoon of the Slippery Elm in it.Usually when I make it the consistency is more liquid than solid. Its smooth and a little thicker than water, but shouldn't be really thick like say applesauce. I hope I am making sense.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here