#1 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:03 AM

Advertisement
Fennel seeds have been a great help to me for gas and bloating, they are the only thing that has ever worked. I just chew up the seeds, and the gas goes away pretty quickly. I recommend them! What I do is buy them in an indian grocery store mixed with candy coated fennel seeds so that they taste better. If you don't have a store like this nearby, you can just buy the fennel seeds in any food store in the spice section. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

#2 JennyDarlin

JennyDarlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:55 PM

Thank you! I will try this! Can you eat as much as you'd like?

#3 wigglesmom

wigglesmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 01:15 AM

I usually fill an Advil bottle with the seeds, this lasts me about 3 days...but I guess everyone is different, they really help me.

#4 cindy from texas

cindy from texas

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 01:28 AM

Deepok Chopra talks about Fennel Seeds in his book, "Perfect Digestion". I keep a bottle of plain ol' McCormick Fennel Seeds in my briefcase. I put about 1/2 teaspoon in the palm of my hand after a meal and chew them completely. I believe this was the approximate amount Chopra recommended, but it's been awhile since I read his book. Fennel seeds taste a bit like licorice--I'm not crazy about the taste actually. And, personally, I find fresh ginger (raw, juiced, or sauteed/cooked with foods) more effective. But, the fennel seeds are easier to transport, take along, and to discreetly use.

#5 julesishere

julesishere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 03:10 PM

I also have had success with fennel seeds. But I infuse the seeds and make a strong cup of tea. I also use chamomile flowers and peppermint leaves to make tea. I'm IBS-C and the extra liquids combined with the benefits of the tea has helped me tremendously.I also drink about four ounces of aloe vera juice a day mixed in with a glass of ice water.

#6 percy

percy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:40 PM

I tried taking fennel seeds but i couldn't get them down. I always hated the tast of black licorish and thats what it taste like. Is there other ways to get them down without chewing them. Thanks for any help Just when i think somethings under control, you have bad days and try not to get negative.

#7 Guest_xoxox_*

Guest_xoxox_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:11 AM

I grow my own fennel. It's a tall plant with leaves that resemble dill, and it forms a head just like dill does. When the seeds are turning brown, I cut the seed heads, tie them in a bunch, and hang them upside down to dry. An added bonus is the wonderful supply of leafy greens to add a very very mild, sweet flavor to salads. If you buy the Florence fennel variety, you can also use the bulbs in cooking.

#8 earthgarden

earthgarden

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:17 PM

Most people don't want to hear this but I have found it to be true. I don't want to offend anyone but obesity is a growing problem and I have discovered that eating smaller meals has helped enormously! Instead of 3 square meals a day, I have 2 small ones. If I get peckish then I have a smoothie or a cuppa soup or slimmasoup to take the edge off things. The fennel seeds do work though and I have tried them too. And I love the taste! Exercise is good too as it speeds up the metabolism. It might take a few weeks for the gut to adjust though, but I am sure that by consuming less but more balanced food, our digestive system is able to work better.Good luck and I am not trying to be condescending here.I have been eating less for a time and I feel much better for it.

#9 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 03:43 PM

Fennel seeds taste a little different when you roast them on a pan just for a while till they become brown. Added benefit is the house smells wonderful.
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#10 earthgarden

earthgarden

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

I cooked chicken in tomatoes, garlic, peppers, olive oil and other herbs and spices tonight and as an afterthought, added some almonds and fennel seeds. It was lovely! Usually, the kids moan and groan but they really enjoyed it. Makes me feel worthwhile! Sad aint I? Usually, they throw perfectly good food in the bin (or we give it to the local wildlife, foxes and hedgehogs that visit) and then they munch on crisps and biscuits!They even asked if I would do this dish for tomorrow! There's a first!

#11 inafog

inafog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:13 PM

earthgarden- that sounds wonderful! can I come over for dinner? (might be the most expensive meal ever, counting the plane fare and all Posted Image )I also agree about eating smaller meals- i've been trying that and it cuts down on the gas a lot.I can't stand black licorice- so if you roast the seeds, what do they taste like? I'd like to try this, but unless there's a drastic change in flavor, I'm afraid I'd never get them down.

#12 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:49 PM

I find it tastes nuttier when roasted.
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#13 Jadie

Jadie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 08:59 PM

What about the fennel seed oil caplets in the vitamin section. i cant stand licorice either. so if any one has tried these? i can take pills i just cant chew anything that tastes like licorice. Jadie

#14 TazFrance

TazFrance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:38 AM

Hi Earthgarden from Englishman in ParisI have boosted my serotonin (low levels mean you are depressed/anxious and aggressive) and feel calmer.To start the course, I had to cut out foods of animal origin for one week. Immediataly felt better after cutting out all meat (less swollen). Proper serotonin seems to have brightened me up and a vegetarian diet (grains, legumes, fruit, veg) and has cut the bloating.

#15 earthgarden

earthgarden

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:29 PM

Everyone is welcome for dinner! Posted Image It was really nice! If you live too far, I guess it would be more economical to simply cook it for yourself Posted Image The fennel really does help with the gas.I have found that by eating smaller portions and cutting out snacking has helped considerably!Eating more fruit and veg can only be a good thing, I am sure.Exercise is great for releasing those feel good chemicals in the brain too!

#16 gottagogottago

gottagogottago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:30 PM

I've tried everything it seems. Ate fennel seeds last night per all your suggestions, and they were awful, but I love black licorice. I wondered if they are better fresh. The texture is like chewing toothpicks. I love fresh vegetables and fruits, but found whenever I eat them, I suffer terribly from gas. I am at my wits end, because I don't want to cut these out of my diet. Seems the only things that don't bother me right now are oatmeal, vegetable soup and potatoes. Anybody have any ideas about how I can eat fresh veggies and fruits again.

#17 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:47 PM

Depends upon the vegetable for me. Lettuce makes me gassy but I can eat fresh green beans, carrots and celery. Just picked some tender little beans off the bush today and boy are they tasty. My granddaughter eats them raw so I do to now. Oatmeal seems to make me gassy, but whole wheat cereal I do OK with. As for the fennel seed, does it prevent gas or help you get rid of the gas you have.??There is a lot of good advice here, you just need to find out what works for you.

#18 gottagogottago

gottagogottago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:03 PM

Hi Joyce: Maybe it was the oatmeal that gave me gas yesterday. I'm so afraid to eat anything today. I was so miserable. I was hoping the fennel seeds would work both before and after, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows, please write another post. I will try the vegetables you suggested.....booohooo. I really love salad. I know it's crazy, but I get absolutely giddy at our farmer's market here in Burbank, California. I will be so happy to find any raw vegetables I can eat. I think beans will be out of the question, but perhaps green beans will be okay.

#19 Isis1

Isis1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:07 AM

Fennel sounds really worth trying. I like the taste, but not enough to want to chew on them a lot. Bonniei your suggestion to roast them sounds great. I'm also going to try grinding up the roasted seeds so I can sprinkle them on lots of things. I'm guessing the flavor won't seem so strong that way. Those of you who don't like fennel might want to try that.

#20 earthgarden

earthgarden

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:37 AM

Have any of you lot tried peppermint oil capsules? These work much, much better than fennel seeds. In the U.K., they are called Colpermin. Simply go into your local chemist/pharmacists and ask for peppermint oil capsules for gas! I believe you should take them three times a day, half hour before each meal, so one when you wake up, one at say 12 noon and one at 5. This relaxes the bowel, allowing the gas to pass out easily - what a relief!!!! Then that spanish chicken is really good! Posted Image The other valuable tip I can offer is DO NOT SNACK. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PUT THAT ITSY LICKLE BIT OF CHOCCY IN YOUR MOUTH AND PUT THAT BISCUIT DOWN, NOW!If you feel peckish between meals, drink a watery soup but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST YOU SNACK BETWEEN MEALS! Give your digestive system a rest. Let it work on your breakfast first!I am sure this simple advice will help three quarters of people with IBS. Good luck and may the force be with you!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here