11 replies to this topic

#1 AngelaSW

AngelaSW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:58 PM

Advertisement
I am curious if anybody has a "favorite" position and/or medicine you take to expel gas easier? Many times I have abdominal pain, back ache and cramping because I can't seem to get rid of the gas properly. It causes so much discomfort and pain Posted Image . Many times I roll up in a fetal position on the floor to put pressure on my tummy and abdomen... somtimes it helps and other times it doesn't. Your suggestions are appreciated!Thanks,Angela

Advertisement

#2 anonymoose

anonymoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:39 AM

peppermint tea helps me a lot. it seems to melt the pain away. it also greatly reduces urgency to go to the bathroom.

#3 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:39 AM

Here are some tips that work for me. If the gas is lodged near the lower belly (aka, almost out) then walking will help. Always wear a loose fitting shirt and pants b/c allowing your stomach to expand is key.If the gas is lodged near your diaghram (this is the toughest spot) then lay on your left side with your knees to your chest so that the stomach muscles relax. do not push or push on your chest. then kind of sit there and wait or rock a little. If you still can't get it out then lay on your stomach with the left knee raised to chest. Lay on your hands so that you body is supported by your arms at sides and the stomach can expand a little. I think this works b/c it puts a constant pressure on the stomach but also it allows it to expand a little. All of these methods take some time to work - about 20minutes to an hour for me.---My favorite drug for gas release is Levsin taken at higher dosages and consistently - not just when I have gas - b/c in between is when the colon starts to spasm again and going on and off an antispasmodic can create a cycle of relaxation/tension on the gut. Levsin can be very effective for trapped gas. The side effects are blurry vision (which usually dissipates), dry mouth (which can be intense) and in my case, hoarseness (though this is rare).

#4 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:49 AM

AngelaSW - Peppermint is the natural form of Levsin - aka they are both antispasmodics. It always helps to know why things are working and I believe from experience and reading the board, that antispasmodics are the way to go for gas relief. In my mind most trapped gas is due to spasms and that is why Zelnorm does not seem to be very effective as a trapped gas relief aid. Often times docs don't know that antispasmodics can be used to treat bloating as they don't understand the bloating mechanisms and figure the colon is not working hard enough to get the gas out, I think for most with ibs this is rarely the case, unless you have hardcore lazy colon and constipation - still docs prescribe zelnorm, ssri's, even laxatives -- all of these make spasming worse. The above is just my hypothesis!

#5 em.

em.

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:02 AM

I enclose the address to Heather's site which gives Yoga positions that can help : ../yoga/pictures.asp#bow

#6 AngelaSW

AngelaSW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:18 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies. You have some great suggestions that I will print out for myself. I love to drink peppermint tea, but often times it seems to aggrevate my GERD symptoms. Presently, I am a wreck and have to take it one hour/one minute at a time. I just went through 4 days of loose stool and diarrhea feeling terrible, now I'm constipated, belching for 3 days, and my back hurts Posted Image . Gosh, I don't wish this on my worst enemy. I am ready for a body replacement! Urgh! Posted Image Thanks again... I am so thankful for this support group :love: . It gives me a lot of comfort.Angela

#7 marmur1

marmur1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:18 PM

Hi Angela!I know that I'm coming in late on this discussion, and I don't know too much about GERD, but are you able to take enteric-coated peppermint capsules? These seem to work better than tea for me, and because of the coating, they don't dissolve until they're in your intestines, so they don't lead to heartburn or acid reflux like the others. I take one about a half hour before I eat, and they seem to help. I will give you a word of warning, though. I did take one before going out to dinner once then had a bad (and unrelated) IBS attack and decided to stay home. I didn't eat anything and OMG, the next morning it was terrible. After it was all over, I jokingly referred to the feeling as "Listerine" butt. So I would definitely take them when you'll have some food in your system... Posted Image Hope that helps!

#8 AngelaSW

AngelaSW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:19 PM

Hi marmur1,Thanks for the advice. No, I haven't tried the peppermint capsules yet. Can you get those at your local health food store? I live in a rural area and we don't have a lot of stores to choose from around here. I'd sure like to try it out Posted Image .Angela

#9 marmur1

marmur1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 12:51 AM

Hi Angela!The brand I use is called Pepogest, and it is available locally here through Whole Foods Market, but you probably don't have one in your area. I don't buy it in the store, though, because I can get it for so much of a discount by purchasing it online. Are there any big cities near you? If so, I would try to call around to health food stores and see if they have them. That way you could try a bottle first to see if they work for you.If not, you can always find them online. I buy mine here: http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/NaturesWay/pepogest.html I'm sure you can purchase it at many other sites, though. At Whole Foods it is $12.99 per bottle of 60, and you can get it there for $5.99. I buy 3 or 4 bottles at the same time because shipping would get expensive if you just buy one at a time, but at first you should probably just see if it works for you...On a more embarassing note, I often have a lot of trapped gas in the morning and have trouble getting rid of it as well. When nothing else works (and when no one else is in the room), I drape myself over the arm of the couch so that my knees are on the sofa cushion and tummy is on the top of the arm. Then I let my head and arms drape over the side, which puts all the pressure on the abdomen and elevates the behind. It sounds so silly, but it does seem to work sometimes. You might want to give it a try when you're desperate and ALONE!!! Posted Image I hope you are able to find the peppermint oil, and most of all, I hope that it helps you! Maggie

#10 marmur1

marmur1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 01:03 AM

On second thought, if you feel comfortable with it, email me your address and I'll send you a bottle. I just ordered 3 bottles today (your post reminded me that I was getting low), and I could send one to you as soon as I get it in the mail. Your post showed that you were in Omak, which is Washington, right? I used to live in Portland, and quite a few of my old friends have moved up to Seattle.Anyway, since you do live in such a rural area, it will be really hard to find a store that sells it close to you. Let me know if you'd like me to send it. My email address is marmur1###excite.com.Maggie

#11 GM

GM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 09:55 AM

Did you read my topic about "Peppermint Capsules" they turned me into a puffa fish and I have such bad bursting flatulence in the morning it is killing me.I just can't find anything that works.

#12 crankypants

crankypants

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:35 PM

It's so frustrating how different we all are in our reactions to things. But, Angela, if you've used peppermint tea with no adverse effect on your colon (the GERD is another matter), I don't think you'll have any problem with the enteric-coated peppermint caps, and I'd recommend you try them. They often give me some relief from trapped gas. It feels as though the colon responds to the peppermint by relaxing enough to allow the gas to move through.
I'm not here to argue.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here