Advertisement

Photo

Is IBS an autoimmune disease? Or could an autoimmune disease cause IBS?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sequoia

Sequoia

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 07:31 PM

Advertisement
Could you shed any light regarding these questions? Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 07:57 PM

Question one: No one knows. I believe we can only speculate at this time. Two: I believe that conditions such as Graves (autoimmune thyroid condition) can cause not IBS, per se, but diarrhea. Maybe K9Mom will see this and be able to shed some more light here.Personally, I'm betting that IBS-type problems can at least have an association with autoimmune disorders.
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#3 NewForMe

NewForMe

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 08:34 PM

I have an autoimmune disease (Multiple Sclerosis) and it causes IBS type symtoms. Although I officially don't have IBS, I am an IBS-C type.
Deann (Dee)
deann###mris.com
Was told IBS-D/C for 2 years, turns out to be Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

#4 NickT

NickT

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 09:14 PM

I agree with everything HipJan sez.(well maybe not everything....but her statement above, I definately agree with) (g)

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 09:49 PM

IBS does not appear to be an autoimmune disease. Ulcerative colitis and crohn's do.IBS appears to be a problem with the Enteric Nervous System.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 K9Mom

K9Mom

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 02 March 2001 - 10:38 PM

From what I understand, IBS is currently not considered to be an autoimmune disease.The second part of your question, could an autoimmune disease cause IBS is a little trickier. Depends on what definition of IBS the doctor that diagnoses IBS is going by. (Don't want to start a war about the Rome criteria, but in my opinion not all doctors that hand out a IBS diagnosis go by the Rome criteria)I have an autoimmune disease (Graves) and I've been IBS-D for as long as I can remember. My Mom says as a child I had a "weak stomach". My diarrhea and gas has improved since treating my autoimmune disease but it has not disappeared completely. I also take calcium supplements which help tremendously.Just my two cents.------------------Join me at http://www.mediboard.com to discuss Graves' disease and other thyroid disorders!Diagnosed with Graves' 4/99, treated with anti-thyroid drugs and beta blockers since.
27 million Americans are affected by thyroid disease. Half of those do not know they have it. Thyroid disease strikes women at a ratio of 7:1. ALL women over 35 should be screened for thyroid disease annually. Diarrhea and constipation are just two of the many symptoms of thyroid disease. Moderator of http://www.mediboard.com/graves

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 March 2001 - 02:32 PM

I differ to the more learned in the group but in my experience, I think that (in some people) IBS could be a symptom of an autoimmune disorder. I'm not saying that IBS is not a disease in its own right, but I have seen many cases of IBS co-existing with autoimmune disease. Dennis.

#8 K9Mom

K9Mom

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2001 - 05:08 PM

Dennis, I agree, on all of the thyroid boards that I frequent there is much talk of GI problems. I've even referred people to this board to get some help, and I've run across people on the thyroid boards that know me (my username) from this board. I wouldn't be surprised at all for the powers that be to find some sort of connection (thyroid receptors in the gut or whatever) in the future.------------------Join me at http://www.mediboard.com to discuss Graves' disease and other thyroid disorders!Diagnosed with Graves' 4/99, treated with anti-thyroid drugs and beta blockers since.
27 million Americans are affected by thyroid disease. Half of those do not know they have it. Thyroid disease strikes women at a ratio of 7:1. ALL women over 35 should be screened for thyroid disease annually. Diarrhea and constipation are just two of the many symptoms of thyroid disease. Moderator of http://www.mediboard.com/graves

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 03 March 2001 - 07:53 PM

The thyroid affects all of the body systems, including the GI tract.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
Ph.D in Biology

#10 K9Mom

K9Mom

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 03 March 2001 - 08:03 PM

Thanks K, I know the thyroid has an effect on it, but in all of the literature I've read on thyroid disorders they downplay the GI symptoms (which talking to other sufferers can be pretty severe). I just think that maybe there is more of a impact on the GI stuff than they realize right now. I know I'm a minority of one but I had the D that was explosive and could NOT wait...little to no warning. Since my thyroid levels have tested in the normal range I have not had any "accidents". I never had pain with my D, just some cramping immediately preceding the explosion. I'm hoping that this is not by coincidence...time will tell that's for sure!

#11 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 03 March 2001 - 08:26 PM

I would expect that if someone had IBS (or other GI problem as a separate issue) and also had thryoid problems it would really make things bad. Generally diseases of the thyroid cause GI symptoms in alot of people, and since GI disorders are also common there should be a rather goodly number of people with both. Those people would probably have much more serious problems than somone who had just thyroid issues.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
Ph.D in Biology

#12 Guest_Kylie_*

Guest_Kylie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2001 - 08:56 PM

From what I've been experiencing lately and talks with various people have led me to feel that IBS CAN be possibly a result of inflammatory problems, i.e. IBS symptoms are a result of the body reacting to stimuli either external or internal that inflame it.That would tie in with people who experience IBS and have autoimmune or other problems.I have since come to the conclusion my stomach is a great barometer for what is happening to me, the worse it is leads me to look for what is causing it to flare up.Kylie

#13 Nicol

Nicol

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2001 - 05:23 AM

I believe that no matter what affliction you may have, your intestines can react as well. I think that when the body is not working right that the intestines communicate in a way to tell us. There are many people with many afflictions that suffer from bowel problems as well; people with fibromyalgia, downs syndrome, bipolar disorder, autoimmune diseases etc. Not everyone has bowel problems in addition to their illness but I think they are more susceptible to them.

#14 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 04 March 2001 - 02:39 PM

As stated IBS does not present as an autoimmune disease, but there is both a population where it is comorbid, and some mediator markers that are both common to some autoimmune disorders, and then some distinctive markers that set them apart. I have something I rememeber on this but must have read it a long time ago. It is in one of these notebooks here. I will look it up tomorrow as it may be an interesting addition to the thread. Meantime suns' out and so am I.MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here