Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

FODMAP sweet foods?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jza 
#1 ·
Been doing this FODMAP diet for a couple of weeks now and I'm managing fine with meals etc apart from one blip of being poorly! The one thing getting me most at the moment is SWEET foods!! I've been eating gluten free ginger biscuits that I found with stem ginger in them which are really nice but I need other things. Does anyone know of any english sweets or anything you make yourself that someone with IBS on the low fodmap diet could tolerate? I know we are all different but I need ideas! Ive been pretty much picking up every sweet and looking at the ingredients just to try and find something. I love chocolate and at the moment I am not ever bringing in any of it into my diet, haven't started eliminating yet, I really hope I can bring in small amounts!!

Please help...

Lorna

#2 ·
Hi there! I'm also on the FODMAP elimination diet.

as far as sweets go it is mainly fruits that are low FODMAP. Once your taste buds adjust, you will really enjoy the flavors of sweet ripe berries :)

here have been my saving graces:

- very ripe raspberries & strawberries

- frozen pineapple chunks

- "ice cream" --- freeze some very ripe bananas, once frozen solid blend them in a food processor with a splash of lactose-free milk. You can add a couple teaspoons of maple syrup, frozen strawberries to make it strawberry-banana, or you can make it peanut buttery by adding a spoon of peanut butter and some maple syrup. Once you reintroduce chocolate/cocoa you can also add 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder. The key is to have very ripe bananas since they are sweeter

- grilled / seared fruits --- put some pineapple on the grill and drizzle with maple syrup! or slice a banana length-wise and sear it in a pan on the stove. it'll cook and caramelize the sugars in the banana. use a canola oil spray, or a little bit of coconut oil.

- fruit 'sauce' --- cook strawberries or raspberries in a pan down until they mush and make a sweet delicious warm berry sauce. then you can drizzle this over something like the 'ice cream' I listed before, or even over some cooked rice mixed with a little sugar and dash of cinnamon for a 'rice pudding' type of dessert

hope this helps! check out my blog --- I've been documenting my journey on the FODMAP elimination. I'd love to stay in touch with people doing the same to share stories and experiences and tips so please let me know!

http://howtohaveahappybelly.blogspot.com

have a great weekend!

#3 ·
Hi, I'm also looking for sweets and sweet food and the best I've come up with so far is dried blueberries and other dried fruites of choise that works for you.

They are delicious as sweet after-dinner-snack and my poor aching bowel accepts them completely.

But besides from that I haven't found out in what to eat, it's so very hard to come up with ideas.

Having a chocolate bar is far off the radar as just sniffing on one seems to trigger the whole system. I am though curious about trying to test to make my own chocolate pudding!

Lactose free milk, pure 80% cacao and...?

For dinner with sweet ingredients I sometimes make a mix of chicken, rice, very well cooked veggies (of choise) and mix dried sweet fruite to it in very small bits. Makes it a bit more tasteful to eat as no sauces can be used that works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.