13 replies to this topic

#1 badtzjunk

badtzjunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:52 PM

Advertisement
What exactly is in altoids, that help with IBS? is it a replacement for Peppermint capsules/tea ??thanks for any help! Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Christiana

Christiana

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:12 PM

it is definitly by all means not a replacement, but it does, however have peppermint oil in them, which is known to soothe the colon. i must ingest a good 25 cinnamon altoloids a day!

#3 badtzjunk

badtzjunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:21 PM

since i hate altoids ... then I should just go the peppermint capsule way then? Posted Image

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:54 PM

They are a cheap way to get some real peppermint oil and see if it works for you.Peppermint oil is an antispasmodic. It can relax the sphincter at the top of the stomach so if you have problems with heartburn be careful with it as it can make that worse for some people.I usually recommend Altoids just because it is a cheap way to try the peppermint oil. Some peppermint dietary supplements can be pricy, so doing it on the cheap before spending more $$ is often a good thing.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 nmwinter

nmwinter

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:11 PM

I will also give a plug for altoid tins as a great carry all for lactaid pills, immodium, calcium/magnesium, probiotics, etc. Not only is the tin socially acceptable, but it gives all those pills a nice minty taste Posted Image just be sure to have real altoids in there so when you pull out the tin in a meeting for a lactaid with your tea and milk, you can hand your boss a true altoid when he puts his hand out Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image seriously, I carry them around all the time. I do find the oil of peppermint helps a lot. I'm curious though about the cinnamon ones - do they actually have oil of peppermint in them?nancy

#6 badtzjunk

badtzjunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:15 PM

which altoids should I try?also :: how many do you take per day?

#7 nmwinter

nmwinter

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:32 PM

it's the oil of peppermint that's the key since it's antispasmodic. The only one I know that has it is the peppermint flavor so I stick to that. As for how many, I take as needed, often after a meal. I don't do a specific dosage like I do with my calcium/magnesium or probiotics. In fact, I don't take them every day either. has anyone tried the ginger altoids? I wondered how much they'd help the tummy too since I assume they ahve real ginger in them. Too strong/hot for me though to eat often.nancy

#8 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:36 PM

I think some of the other flavors have oil of peppermint, but the peppermint ones have the most.Usually for a spasm one to two altoids will be enough to make it relax for me. Your mileage may vary.If you have known spasm times it may help to preload rather than wait for the pain. So if you have a spasm after you eat, try doing the pepermint before the meal.Usually for me the effect lasts a couple of hours.If you start getting bad heartburn, cut back on them.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#9 ThisBearBites

ThisBearBites

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 04:05 AM

I have started carrying peppermint Altoids at work. At my current location (answering a constantly ringing multiline phone)bathroom breaks require someone to take my place for the duration. Just getting someone else to do that can take time! Posted Image I was even wondering.....I have loved Altoids for years, but this past year got hooked on the new Listering breath 'sheets'. My digestive system went nuts and it did turn out there was stuff that needed to be surgically corrected, but my bowels were not calming down. Since I have started back with Altoids (easier on my stomach ulcer) things have quieted down. Does anyone know if peppermint schnapps have a good effect? Posted Image

#10 Lori B.

Lori B.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:11 AM

I just bought some Brach's Starlite Mints, those regular round red and white peppermint candies we all know about. The package says "contains real peppermint oil." I bought a 3 lb. bag! *LOL* I love them and I do think they help me if in no other way, than to just have a good fresh taste in my mouth when I have nausea. I couldn't have survived my first trimester of pregnancy without them, either. And I wasn't even suffering from IBS back then!!Altoids are great and wonderful but I have found if I eat a few on an empty stomach, they make me queasy. That could just be me, though, almost everything makes me queasy. Posted Image

#11 marvin3784

marvin3784

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 12:40 PM

Both the peppermint and cinnamon have peppermint oil. It is just higher up the list in the peppermint ones. Yum.

#12 prbono

prbono

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:57 AM

do you guys swalllow the altoid or just suck on it like normal usage

#13 Jeanne D

Jeanne D

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 12:17 PM

Hello.I had to comment on Altoids, because I almost feel as if I should own stock in the company, since I eat so many of them. Posted Image I suck on them slowly until they are dissolved.I always carry a box with me wherever I go, and if I need to , I just keep sucking on them until my stomach starts to settle down. It could take one altoid , or several. It depends on the day I am having. The only flavor I buy BTW is peppermint.Hope you feel better.Jeanne Posted Image

#14 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 06:41 PM

Usually I suck on it a bit then chew it up and swallow only the remaining pieces.K.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here