Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Finding right dose of Miralax

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Displaced 
#1 ·
After struggling with what was originally called IBS and now referred to as chronic idiopathic constipation for years, I finally agreed to my gastroenterologist's often repeated recommendation to use Miralax regularly rather than once in a while. This was about three months ago. I started with a full dose (a capful, about 2 tablespoons, once a day) but within about a week cut back to 1 tablespoonful because I felt I was getting sufficient "action" with a lower amount. As time has gone by, I have often used just 1 tablespoon, one-half, or occasionally just a teaspoon and begun skipping a day or more at a time because I often have days with a rush of activity (multiple bowel movements, some very large, but also some "smearing" when stool doesn't seem to form and has to be wiped off (too much information, I know, but all of us in this group have to get used to speaking frankly). I'm trying to decide whether I'm still taking too much and should cut back to a dose every several days, no more than 1/2 tablespoon, or whether I'm actually not taking enough and these days of frequent activity might not happen, or be less troublesome, if I stuck to a regular dose and a regular timetable. I know it's a very individualized thing, and I have to determine what works best for me, while also acknowledging that I'll never get it "just right," that there may be times when I feel cramped from inactivity or conversely am running to the bathroom multiple times a day. I've also wondered if different brands of laxative (e.g., products with the same ingredient as brand name Miralax, but sold under a grocery store's label) are part of the problem. My husband and I both do grocery shopping, and if Miralax happens to be on the list on a day when he goes to a store, he'll pick up a store brand because it's cheaper. I guess I could make sure I'm always the one who buys it, just in case this makes a difference.

Any thoughts, fellow sufferers?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.