Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Olive Oil

40K views 51 replies 4 participants last post by  Robert Wong 
G
#1 ·
I was just wondering, if you use the olive oil, how much would you use. Also, if you use it, should you stop using the caltrate? Does anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks for help.

G
#2 ·
I take 2 Tablespoons of 100% Pure Olive Oil/Extra Light on an empty stomach. This is the only therapy that works on my system. I only have C NOT D. So if you onlyhave D, you probably wouldn't use the Olive Oil therapy, this would be forpeople who only have C.I have tried herbs, prescription laxatives,over the counter laxatives, every possibletherapy you can imagine and they all havebeen a BIG WASTE of my time. They do not work over the long period of time usually.Also, this Olive Oil therapy is commonlyused in Europe, so I would suggest if awhole continent is using this therapy,I would say they are doing something right. They have done several ClinicalStudies on Olive Oil by Medical Doctors in Europe.I would always consult your GI Doctorregarding the Caltrate.
quote:Originally posted by midge69:I was just wondering, if you use the olive oil, how much would you use. Also, if you use it, should you stop using the caltrate? Does anyone prefer one over the other? Thanks for help.

G
#3 ·
Hi Julia. Do you just take the olive oil straight or what? My tummy aches at just the thought of it
My stomach or bowel stays torn up. It's totally aggravating. I have C and do alternate between that and D. I feel that if I could just keep things going, it wouldn't be so bad for the gas and such. I've tried everything also, nothing works for me either. If it does, then it ends up tearing up the belly so badly that I have to give it up eventually. My belly is HIGHLY sensitive. Thanks, ronty------------------C/D

G
#5 ·
Hi Ronty93!!!I do take the 100% Pure Olive Oil straight up at bedtime. But, if you can't standthe taste straight up, pour it on chickenor fish at dinner. The 100% Pure OliveOil works as a food digestive aid inthe gastrointestinal system.I have to take a thryoid prescription, soI take the Olive Oil at least 12 hours before I take my prescription medication.Also, I would mention this to your GI Doctor.My GI Doctor has all her IBS patients on this formula and she is a main streamdoctor. She is excellent/brilliant andall her patients thinks she is the best.My stomach is extreme sensitive, so Iknow what you are going through. MyIBS attacks always seemed the worst inthe middle of the night. Vomiting/Nausea,Gastric Pain that felt like a 7.1 earthquakehad hit and the volcano was about toerupt. Always running to the bathroomin the middle of the night can become apain in the neck. So, that is why I finally had to do somethingthat would regulate my gastrointestinal system. I couldn't take it anymore andthat was how I discovered that Olive Oilis the stablizing force behind the gastrointestinal system. This neutralizesthe acids in the stomach and eliminatesall the symptoms.Good Luck!!!
quote:Originally posted by ronty93:Hi Julia. Do you just take the olive oil straight or what? My tummy aches at just the thought of it
My stomach or bowel stays torn up. It's totally aggravating. I have C and do alternate between that and D. I feel that if I could just keep things going, it wouldn't be so bad for the gas and such. I've tried everything also, nothing works for me either. If it does, then it ends up tearing up the belly so badly that I have to give it up eventually. My belly is HIGHLY sensitive. Thanks, ronty

G
#6 ·
Thanks Julia, this sounds really great. I think that I will get my nerve up and give it a try. I eat chicken every night and I will try it that way. Thanks again
ronty93------------------C/D

G
#7 ·
Ronty93, if you can take a squeezed part of a lemon over each tablespoon of olive oil it's not as bad. Then chase it down with a glass of water. YUM!!Also Julia, do you know if it would hurt to take more than 2 TBS? The first night worked great but the second night did nothing.

G
#8 ·
ho_pe:I sometimes take more that two tablespoons,because of what I ate. I have had no adverse side affects from taking moreOlive Oil. Also, I drink alot of water.I never drink coffee or tea. I justdon't like the taste. It's all aboutchocolates for me. Just my sense of humor.
quote:Originally posted by ho_pe:Ronty93, if you can take a squeezed part of a lemon over each tablespoon of olive oil it's not as bad. Then chase it down with a glass of water. YUM!!Also Julia, do you know if it would hurt to take more than 2 TBS? The first night worked great but the second night did nothing.

#9 ·
Research by the International Olive Oil Council ( IOOC) suggests that olive oil is excellent for the digestive system, brain activity and bone mineralization. It protects against gallstones and stomach ulcers and helps relieve minor constipation. Studies also show that olive oil reduces the rate of cardiovascular illness, by lowering cholesterol levels as effectively as a low fat diet, without harming the arteries. It is effective in delaying the human aging metabolism, and is a positive factor in a child's body growth during the formative years.On 1-18-95 The Journal of the National Cancer Institute reported that olive oil offers strong protection in the fight against breast cancer.charlie

G
#10 ·
Charlie:Thank you.Julia
quote:Originally posted by charlie:Research by the International Olive Oil Council ( IOOC) suggests that olive oil is excellent for the digestive system, brain activity and bone mineralization. It protects against gallstones and stomach ulcers and helps relieve minor constipation. Studies also show that olive oil reduces the rate of cardiovascular illness, by lowering cholesterol levels as effectively as a low fat diet, without harming the arteries. It is effective in delaying the human aging metabolism, and is a positive factor in a child's body growth during the formative years.On 1-18-95 The Journal of the National Cancer Institute reported that olive oil offers strong protection in the fight against breast cancer.charlie

G
#14 ·
Despite all the negative things you hear about wheat Nabisco's Wheat n Bran, those are the only 2 ingriedents, really is the best source of fiber for me. I put a couple a tbls. of pure olive oil over it and put it in the micro wave to sort of toast it. I eat it as a snack food. I really does help. Guess it is the fiber and the oil. Plus I drink lots of water. Really helps with my C. Wonder if that was why we use to get caster oil as kids??. Most of you are to young to remember that tho....BLAH!!!------------------ Don't make ME come down there!!. GOD

G
#15 ·
I HAVE TO BE CHARY IN MY USE OF OLIVE OIL. OVER 1-2 TEASPOONS IN ONE DAY, AND THE NEXT FEW DAYS I HAVE ONE OR MORE PAINFUL LUMPS IN MY CHIN, DOWN DEEP IN THE SKIN. FEEL LIKE PIMPLES, BUT SOME OF THEM NEVER REACH THE SURFACE.

G
#16 ·
jd44:Check with your Doctor. It probably hasnothing to do with the Olive Oil.Stop taking the Olive Oil, if you thinkthis is a reaction.Always, check with your GI Doctor. Maybeyou can't take Olive Oil.
quote:Originally posted by jd44:I HAVE TO BE CHARY IN MY USE OF OLIVE OIL. OVER 1-2 TEASPOONS IN ONE DAY, AND THE NEXT FEW DAYS I HAVE ONE OR MORE PAINFUL LUMPS IN MY CHIN, DOWN DEEP IN THE SKIN. FEEL LIKE PIMPLES, BUT SOME OF THEM NEVER REACH THE SURFACE.

G
#18 ·
I am going to take the olive oil tonight. I am just wondering if it has to be taken for several nights in order to get some effect? I will post tomorrow on whether I notice any difference. I will say though, that I read someplace on the web that 1-2 ounces of olive oil should be taken as a laxative. But I am only going to take 2 tablespoons tonight and see what happens. Don't think I could choke down 1-2 ounces anyway. Wish me luck!
------------------Wishing for a cure for IBS.FOS

G
#19 ·
Hi Kaydee:I usually take the 100% Pure Olive Oil onan empty stomach. I do pour it onchicken or fish at dinner and as long as you get the Olive Oil into your system this will help the IBS C symptoms.Make sure you take it on a daily basis.Also, check with your doctor to make surethat you do not have any interactions with the Olive Oil. If you do have anyinteractions, stop taking the Olive Oiltherapy immediately. My GI Doctor and Primary Care Doctors bothknow that I am taking Olive Oil as a therapyfor the IBS symptoms. My GI Doctor actuallyis giving this therapy to her IBS patientswith C, this was after I told her about thetherapy. She happens to be beyond excellent/brilliant Gastrointestinal Doctor. If I mightsay so myself. The weight gain would depend on your metabolism. I never gained weight becauseof the Olive Oil.
quote:Originally posted by KAYDEE:Julia41Should olive oil always be taken on a empty stomach or can it be taken an hour after or with food. If taken daily will it cause weight gain?

#49 ·
Hi Kaydee:I usually take the 100% Pure Olive Oil onan empty stomach. I do pour it onchicken or fish at dinner and as long as you get the Olive Oil into your system this will help the IBS C symptoms.Make sure you take it on a daily basis.Also, check with your doctor to make surethat you do not have any interactions with the Olive Oil. If you do have anyinteractions, stop taking the Olive Oiltherapy immediately. My GI Doctor and Primary Care Doctors bothknow that I am taking Olive Oil as a therapyfor the IBS symptoms. My GI Doctor actuallyis giving this therapy to her IBS patientswith C, this was after I told her about thetherapy. She happens to be beyond excellent/brilliant Gastrointestinal Doctor. If I mightsay so myself. The weight gain would depend on your metabolism. I never gained weight becauseof the Olive Oil.
quote:Originally posted by KAYDEE:Julia41Should olive oil always be taken on a empty stomach or can it be taken an hour after or with food. If taken daily will it cause weight gain?
Do you mean any Extra Light Olive Oil as long as all ingredients say olive oils. Or does the bottle have to say 100% Pure on the front Label?

G
#20 ·
Hi Hope:That is awesome!!! This is the reason why I mentioned the Olive Oil therapy. Since I was getting noresult other than the Olive Oil therapy.I thought I could help!!!Since I suffered with this condition since childhood.Mention this therapy to your doctor.Finally, some relief!!!Thanks again.
quote:Originally posted by ho_pe:Just love that OLIVE OIL!!!! It really works.

G
#21 ·
Joyce:That is excellent!!!Thanks for the post!!!
quote:Originally posted by Joyce:Despite all the negative things you hear about wheat Nabisco's Wheat n Bran, those are the only 2 ingriedents, really is the best source of fiber for me. I put a couple a tbls. of pure olive oil over it and put it in the micro wave to sort of toast it. I eat it as a snack food. I really does help. Guess it is the fiber and the oil. Plus I drink lots of water. Really helps with my C. Wonder if that was why we use to get caster oil as kids??. Most of you are to young to remember that tho....BLAH!!!

G
#22 ·
Hi FOS::Just FYI!!! Check out www.botanical.com. If you can't stand it straight up. Takethe Olive Oil on a salad/chicken/fish/veggies. Just as long as you can getat least 2 tablespoons into your system.Furthermore, I sometimes have to adjustthe tablespoons, because of what I ate,maybe more. Just like Charlie said, they have doneactual studies on the Olive Oil in Europe. Also, check out PUB-MED, they do havestudies on Olive Oil specifically. Ilike to research, but I am not a medical/scientist person.Also, I wouldn't have mentioned theOlive Oil therapy, if it hadn't workedon my system. Because I have triedeverything you can imagine and nothing else worked for me, but this therapy.I just like to find solutions.Good Luck!!!
quote:Originally posted by FOS:I am going to take the olive oil tonight. I am just wondering if it has to be taken for several nights in order to get some effect? I will post tomorrow on whether I notice any difference. I will say though, that I read someplace on the web that 1-2 ounces of olive oil should be taken as a laxative. But I am only going to take 2 tablespoons tonight and see what happens. Don't think I could choke down 1-2 ounces anyway. Wish me luck!

G
#23 ·
Julia, you found a good thing here, it does work for me, but it add weight, which is another reason I use it. When I gave up junk food I lost weight that I couldn't afford to. So it might not be for everyone.I also use olive oil on salad, add some Italian spices, if that is what you like. You need to acquire a taste for it but after awhile you learn to like it. IF it helps that is what counts....PS I personally can't take it plan, makes me gag..
------------------ Don't make ME come down there!!. GOD

G
#24 ·
I good friend of mine who is Italian, claims that digestive disorders are almost unknown in Italy and US Italian communities, because they use olive oil on proactically everything.A pleasant way to actually enjoy it is - cut an orange in half, and remove individual sections with a knife, into a bowl. (not including the membrane part that is hard to digest.) When you get a bowl full of as much as you want, sprinkle olive oil ever the top and let sit for 1/2 to an hour. Something about the citrus, absorbs the oil, and you can't taste it at all. If you can stand garlic, thinly slice one clove of garlic into the mix, and a slight garlic taste is soaked into the oranges. Either way is good, and you get your OO. The trick is to let it sit until everything blends together.

G
#25 ·
Thank you Twila!!! I find my research study in this area hasbrought me to many clinical studies inItaly that confirm that Olive Oil isused for digestive disorders.Thanks again!!!
quote:Originally posted by Twila:I good friend of mine who is Italian, claims that digestive disorders are almost unknown in Italy and US Italian communities, because they use olive oil on proactically everything.A pleasant way to actually enjoy it is - cut an orange in half, and remove individual sections with a knife, into a bowl. (not including the membrane part that is hard to digest.) When you get a bowl full of as much as you want, sprinkle olive oil ever the top and let sit for 1/2 to an hour. Something about the citrus, absorbs the oil, and you can't taste it at all. If you can stand garlic, thinly slice one clove of garlic into the mix, and a slight garlic taste is soaked into the oranges. Either way is good, and you get your OO. The trick is to let it sit until everything blends together.

G
#26 ·
Hi Joyce:Thank you for your response!!!I happen to like chocolate, so mostfood has to have a sweet taste. I donot drink coffee or tea, it seems tobitter to me. But, I love the smell ofcoffee.I have never gained weight because ofthe Olive Oil. I guess it would haveto do with your metabolism. Also, Olive Oil has an antioxidant value,so this can free radicals. That is whyseveral clinical studies confirm OliveOil has a benefit to protect the gastrointestinal system, because of theantioxidant.Thanks again!!!
quote:Originally posted by Joyce:Julia, you found a good thing here, it does work for me, but it add weight, which is another reason I use it. When I gave up junk food I lost weight that I couldn't afford to. So it might not be for everyone.I also use olive oil on salad, add some Italian spices, if that is what you like. You need to acquire a taste for it but after awhile you learn to like it. IF it helps that is what counts....PS I personally can't take it plan, makes me gag..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.