8 replies to this topic

#1 JK

JK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 03:41 PM

Advertisement
I have had IBS for as long as I can remember. I am one of the lucky ones who alternates between constipation and diarrhea. The worst is when I have a diarrhea attack (SEVERE "I'm going to pass out cramping") and I can't go for over an hour because of all the hard stuff in there! Ahhh!So, my gastroenterologist suggested I take Metamucil daily to become regular. She said to take 1 tablespoon/day. I started this about 10 days ago. I finally started having BMs every day about 5 days ago (a first for me!) I can sometimes go 10 days without a BM and feel perfectly fine!Anyway, I am now up to 1 heaping tablespoon twice daily and even though I'm going every day, it's still "pellet-like". They're like rocks. How can that be if I'm taking all this fiber?? It's as though the fiber doesn't work on me!!Any ideas?Thanks-JK

Advertisement

#2 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 03:47 PM

JK-How much water are you drinking? I drink about 4-6 liters a day. When you up your intake of fiber or supplements, you MUST drink alot of additional water! Hope that helps!
Tiss

#3 JK

JK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 04:04 PM

I drink moderate amounts of water, but it's so hard because I spend most of the day in the bathroom here at work!Maybe you're right - I might need more water.I will try it - thank you.JK

#4 beach

beach

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 06:35 PM

Yes. Switch to citrocil (no sugar kind) I take it three times a day and it works great. I am IBS-C no D.Try that and see how that works.
-Beach

#5 Krissy

Krissy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 07:05 PM

There are three known brands of fiber,in this order they are effective: Citricel-lowestMenimucil-pretty good,but for the most fiber per teaspoon,Konsyl is the choice.I have went rounds with all 3,and the Konsyl helped me,i go,2-3 times every morning now,no problems,and because i go more,i know nothing is "sitting" in my colon causing more trouble.I hope this helps you,Krissy
"Fear And Pain Fade,When Faith And Hope Grow"

#6 Guest_Lisa P_*

Guest_Lisa P_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2000 - 05:26 AM

I don't think Metamucil is a very good way to take fiber. There are much better fibers that will work better, will not bloat you and are better on your bowel (a recent study indicates that a product very similar to Metamucil causes intestinal polyps). In my case I can't take Metamucil because it gives me bloating and terrible indigestion.Ezekial or Essene bread is an excellent way to add fiber. A couple of tablespoons of oat bran sprinkled on your salad is great, or a bowl of hot oat meal with oat bran added. Stay away from refined breads or pastas. For me they are terribly constipating.

#7 Guest_brianfromparkview_*

Guest_brianfromparkview_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2000 - 11:14 AM

Lots of water, and in some folks, a stool softener can be added as well to make stool easier to pass.

#8 babydoc_au

babydoc_au

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 03:48 AM

I also found I can't take Metamucil or isphagula. I use methyl cellulose(same as Citrucel) and it is helpful. However, the best thing for me has been the Sprouted Grain Bread (called Ezekial or Essene depending where you come from). I have been amazed at the difference it has made for my c.

#9 NewForMe

NewForMe

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 12:03 PM

I eat the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread and I am regular everyday now. I tried Metamucil, Citracil, FiberChoice and none of them worked for me. It really did surprise me that a bread would help, but it did. The bread is made with only sprouted grains, there is no flour or preservatives in it. There is 3 grams of fiber per slice, which isn't much, but I do believe it is the sprouted grains that make it work.
Deann (Dee)
deann###mris.com
Was told IBS-D/C for 2 years, turns out to be Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here