8 replies to this topic

#1 JK

JK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 03:41 PM

Advertisement
I have had IBS for as long as I can remember. I am one of the lucky ones who alternates between constipation and diarrhea. The worst is when I have a diarrhea attack (SEVERE "I'm going to pass out cramping") and I can't go for over an hour because of all the hard stuff in there! Ahhh!So, my gastroenterologist suggested I take Metamucil daily to become regular. She said to take 1 tablespoon/day. I started this about 10 days ago. I finally started having BMs every day about 5 days ago (a first for me!) I can sometimes go 10 days without a BM and feel perfectly fine!Anyway, I am now up to 1 heaping tablespoon twice daily and even though I'm going every day, it's still "pellet-like". They're like rocks. How can that be if I'm taking all this fiber?? It's as though the fiber doesn't work on me!!Any ideas?Thanks-JK

Advertisement

#2 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 03:47 PM

JK-How much water are you drinking? I drink about 4-6 liters a day. When you up your intake of fiber or supplements, you MUST drink alot of additional water! Hope that helps!
Tiss

#3 JK

JK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 04:04 PM

I drink moderate amounts of water, but it's so hard because I spend most of the day in the bathroom here at work!Maybe you're right - I might need more water.I will try it - thank you.JK

#4 beach

beach

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 06:35 PM

Yes. Switch to citrocil (no sugar kind) I take it three times a day and it works great. I am IBS-C no D.Try that and see how that works.
-Beach

#5 Krissy

Krissy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2000 - 07:05 PM

There are three known brands of fiber,in this order they are effective: Citricel-lowestMenimucil-pretty good,but for the most fiber per teaspoon,Konsyl is the choice.I have went rounds with all 3,and the Konsyl helped me,i go,2-3 times every morning now,no problems,and because i go more,i know nothing is "sitting" in my colon causing more trouble.I hope this helps you,Krissy
"Fear And Pain Fade,When Faith And Hope Grow"

#6 Guest_Lisa P_*

Guest_Lisa P_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2000 - 05:26 AM

I don't think Metamucil is a very good way to take fiber. There are much better fibers that will work better, will not bloat you and are better on your bowel (a recent study indicates that a product very similar to Metamucil causes intestinal polyps). In my case I can't take Metamucil because it gives me bloating and terrible indigestion.Ezekial or Essene bread is an excellent way to add fiber. A couple of tablespoons of oat bran sprinkled on your salad is great, or a bowl of hot oat meal with oat bran added. Stay away from refined breads or pastas. For me they are terribly constipating.

#7 Guest_brianfromparkview_*

Guest_brianfromparkview_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2000 - 11:14 AM

Lots of water, and in some folks, a stool softener can be added as well to make stool easier to pass.

#8 babydoc_au

babydoc_au

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 03:48 AM

I also found I can't take Metamucil or isphagula. I use methyl cellulose(same as Citrucel) and it is helpful. However, the best thing for me has been the Sprouted Grain Bread (called Ezekial or Essene depending where you come from). I have been amazed at the difference it has made for my c.

#9 NewForMe

NewForMe

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 October 2000 - 12:03 PM

I eat the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread and I am regular everyday now. I tried Metamucil, Citracil, FiberChoice and none of them worked for me. It really did surprise me that a bread would help, but it did. The bread is made with only sprouted grains, there is no flour or preservatives in it. There is 3 grams of fiber per slice, which isn't much, but I do believe it is the sprouted grains that make it work.
Deann (Dee)
deann###mris.com
Was told IBS-D/C for 2 years, turns out to be Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here