12 replies to this topic

#1 th62

th62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2000 - 02:06 AM

Advertisement
Does anyone else out there have narrow stools?Mine have been like that for almost 9 months and what about undigested food in stools. I guess certain things just can't get processed. Thanks for your input!

Advertisement

#2 Guest_Andyyeovil_*

Guest_Andyyeovil_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2000 - 08:33 AM

Hi Th62Mine seem to change shape and consistency as often has I change my underwear! Sometimes very narrow, sometimes like 'ribbons' kind of flat with a bend in them. Sometimes they are like pellets, very small, but formed, alomost as if a small animal passed them!I often find unprocessed food in them, but not always. I can eat most things (or could, this recent flare up may be an indication that is no longer true but if I start to feel ill I have to avoid peppers, onions, mushrooms (would you believe)and spicy food, othrwise it just goes right through me.So, you're by no means alone on this one!Andy------------------ http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/

#3 Delta

Delta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 November 2000 - 11:54 AM

This is defnately pretty common. You're not alone in this one.

#4 Guest_lhicks_*

Guest_lhicks_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2000 - 04:27 PM

I have read narrow stools can also be a sign of an obstruction in your colon/colon cancer. I would contact your doctor.

#5 Guest_judy g_*

Guest_judy g_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2000 - 06:00 PM

Undigested food and narrow stools are signs of rapid transit through the gut. Narrow stools from the small intestine don't have time to form into large stools in the large intestine. Food particles also don't have time to be digested. Very typical IBS D behavior. You can slow contractions down with lomotil and levsin (sublingual or long-term. Judy

#6 jenjen

jenjen

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 07:59 AM

my stools vary in shape and consistency as well (sometimes from one hour to the next).narrow is one of the shapes i do get, and colon cancer can be ruled out since i had a colonoscopy (fun) and have been diagnosed with IBS-D.i actually had a stool this morning that was partially formed/firm. what a breakthrough. i feel like celebrating.-jen

#7 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 11:27 AM

quote:
Undigested food and narrow stools are signs of rapid transit through the gut. Narrow stools from the small intestine don't have time to form into large stools in the large intestine. Food particles also don't have timeto be digested. Very typical IBS D behavior.
No, this is all normal for healthy people.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#8 missbonnie

missbonnie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 05:09 PM

I get that also. Whenever it happens to me, it is at the same time that I haver a hemmorhoid attack. I have external hemmorhoids, and they flare up and swell sometimes, and that is when I get narrow stolls. I think it has something to do with the swelling of that area.------------------All the best to everyone,Bonnie

#9 Bean69

Bean69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 05:39 PM

I have all of the above! (see my topic *BM's all the time*) It is like one or two possibly good BM's get spead out into many useless and small mushy/messy ones.Sorry for the graphic description, but I am sure all of you can relate.Judy wrote:>>You can slow contractions down with lomotil and levsin<<Lomotil gave me very weird adverse reactions: paranoia, headache and extreme abdominal pain.Levsin (Hyoscamine ?) -Sublingual- did not seem to do much for me. It would slow down an attack enough for me to get to a bathroom but it would still be explosive once I let go.

#10 Guest_moomin_*

Guest_moomin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2000 - 05:23 PM

hello i have all of the above ,and it changes all the time from big to small to pellets sorry nice wordsi suffer from c type all the time after 5 years i find i very normal to change all the time it does my head it we are all on the same boat one of these days i will find somthing to help me

#11 Guest_timm_*

Guest_timm_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2000 - 06:09 PM

I have also experienced "narrow stool" at times it is quite painfull when it comes out. With this and other symptoms my Doctor has perscribed Dicetel (Only available in Canada)

#12 Metaphorica

Metaphorica

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 December 2000 - 06:30 PM

In IBS, the shape of the stool is indicative of the colon in spasm, (the constricting and tightening it's going through) not a blockage/tumor growth, if that's already been ruled out.At the moment, mine are like pythons, very long and thin.

#13 Clair

Clair

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2000 - 07:12 PM

Metaphorica - I'm with you on this one.The times when I get the long thin narrow stools tends to be on the occasions I haven't taken my anti-spasmodics.This tends to suggest that my bowel is in spasm at the time...Have you tried taking anti-spasmodics such as Alverine Citrate, Mebeverine or Colpermin (Enteric Coated Peppermit Oil Capsules) to help?
Even the smallest person can change the future

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here