#1 pdb

pdb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 03:55 PM

Advertisement
I always knew that coffee was one of my main triggers, but now I'm realizing that lettuce is as well. Many times it seems to go through me without being digested at all. Anyone else experience this? Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 dom

dom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:00 PM

Yes,lettuce has just recently been added to my list of foods that run through me. I used to love salads.

#3 Beth L.

Beth L.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:21 PM

Yes, lettuce is out, out, out! Not just for me, with my IBS-D, but even for people I know who don't normally have much trouble with diarrhea: just a little bit of salad, and they're running for the restroom before they have even finished their dinner.Also, it's what you typically get WITH the lettuce that can cause problems, too. Any uncooked vegetables can cause trouble, for me. And there are many salad dressings with ingredients than can cause diarrhea... or even more interesting results! There is a certain Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles (just off Laurel Canyon) that is widely famous for serving a salad that speeds up the onset of labor in pregnant women. It's something in the salad dressing that does it. They also sell the stuff by mail order, because it's in such hot demand. Even my gyn/ob, who takes an extremely scientific view of things, said the evidence was too strong to be merely anecdotal.If herbs can bring on labor, they can certainly cause diarrhea, too!

#4 allinknots

allinknots

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 05:01 PM

I too cannot eat lettuce> I get sverly sick.I have not had lettuce in at least 15 years!!!!I just go to a place with a bar and get all other stuff.

#5 M&M

M&M

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 05:22 PM

lettuce is good to me, but it's SPINACH that does me in. woowee it goes right through me without even an attempt at being digested. sure is good we know some of our trigger foods and can avoid them!~mrs. mason Posted Image
ME patient for the past 9 years

Illness is not something to feel ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom, and it opens the way to happiness. Through illness, human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understand its value and dignity, and strive to lead more fulfilling lives. ~ Daisaku Ikeda

In life, it's not the bad things we do that hurt us, it's the good things we don't do. ~ Shmuley Boteach

#6 Trik

Trik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 06:49 PM

I find that if I have a salad as a meal, I have the same problem. Literally goes right through me. My husband always wonders about the places I buy my salads from. Are they cleaning their greens? But I think it's just me.But if I have a small salad with a meal, I have less trouble. Guess I need to stick to side salads.

#7 newlearner

newlearner

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 12:30 AM

I absolutely cannot eat salads anymore. I know I will have pain and d. Also corn seems to go through me undigested. Coffee can make me sick for days but sometimes I just must have it. I had icecream the other day and my stomach literally blew up like a balloon and I couldn't breathe!!!!

#8 DDinSC

DDinSC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 09:12 PM

Lettuce from resturants is a big problem, but fresh lettuce has never caused and attack. It must be the perservative they add to it that cause it. But then again we are all different it what works and what doen'tDD

#9 M&M

M&M

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 09:45 PM

i was just thinking about this and wondered...is it iceburg lettuce that triggers you? there are many types of lettuce, are you able to eat another type of lettuce, instead of iceburg? or is all lettuce out? just asking for any who can't do lettuce, but would still like a salad. there are a lot of "greens" and i'm not sure if they are classified as "lettuce" or something else, but it might be a way to skip your trigger and still have a salad? (i buy a bag of something called "baby greens" at the market, it contains things like arrugula (sorry for the spelling) and other colorful greens) just a thought? would it work?~mrs. mason Posted Image
ME patient for the past 9 years

Illness is not something to feel ashamed of. It is not a sign of misfortune or defeat. Suffering is the fuel of wisdom, and it opens the way to happiness. Through illness, human beings can gain insight into the meaning of life, understand its value and dignity, and strive to lead more fulfilling lives. ~ Daisaku Ikeda

In life, it's not the bad things we do that hurt us, it's the good things we don't do. ~ Shmuley Boteach

#10 knothappy

knothappy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 12:39 AM

I can tolerate romain lettuce or lettuce from the garden, but the regular iceberg lettuce is a big no no. Also some salad dressing in the bottle give me D, but the kind where you make your own with the shaker bottle and little pack of seasoning is OK.
knothappy

#11 hanna

hanna

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 01:06 AM

I am new on this forum. Same story for me with lettuce, spinach, grapes, apples etc = diarrhea Just today found out it could be the sulphites (presevatives) put on these foods. I am talking to the LEAP program nutritionist on email who mentioned that many people have food sensitivity to sulphite. worth investigating.

#12 Rachel

Rachel

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 01:43 AM

#13 Firenza1

Firenza1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 02:16 AM

Hi, I'm new to this website and I have just discovered that lettuce, particularly iceberg, is a problem. I love salads, so it is a shame. Anyone ever try accupuncture. I had my first session today.

#14 bdb51399

bdb51399

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 04:19 PM

It's so strange how different foods affect those of us with IBS-D. I find that lettuce does have an affect on me but the worse thing I can eat, and know I will have an attack, is pasta. And I love it. I actually am sensitive to carbs. I have found that if I am on the Adkins diet I don't have diarrhea. For that reason alone you'd think I would stick to it. The problem is I also get very tired and weak when I am on that diet.

#15 Kitty19HasIBS

Kitty19HasIBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 04:39 PM

My doc told me to stay away from any uncooked vegetable. Also she said to have room temp water not cold.
Kitty

#16 em.

em.

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 08:10 AM

I am fine with Flat leaf lettuce, Rocket and Wild lettuce but cannot eat Iceberg as it kills me ! ! Posted Image Posted Image

#17 me3

me3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 11:53 PM

Iceberg is a big trigger for me but I can tolerate romaine lettuce or spinach very well.

#18 lou026

lou026

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 11:14 PM

I think that the iceberg lettuce has more water within it as opposed to the darker green leafy kinds of lettuce. I can tolerate the darker kind much better and I can still enjoy salad occasionally. Of course it's all of the good stuff that we can't have......ice cream, salads ect..

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here